Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Cox_ba12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Original Box for Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 4:09 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 7:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 3:01 am

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:46 am

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 12:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Ramp Right Now!

Page 24 of 28 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Empty Re: On the Ramp Right Now!

Post  roddie Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 pm

dckrsn wrote:I won't give you the usual sermons, Roddie.
I was a pretty avid smoker for 40yrs (Newports), and
I gave up trying to quit, because I knew it was useless
unless I genuinely wanted to. Well, the first week of
this past January, I gave myself "a good talkin' to," and
then and there I ended it. Yeah, I still crave one now and
then, but it is slowly getting better. The itch'll never go
away, but f-it, I can and will live with that.
People say nice things when they hear I quit, but I know
it doesn't forgive 40yrs of weakness.
I'm hoping the best for you. You have a bright mind with
plenty of material for distractions from the smokes.
When you're ready, go for it, brother. There's help out
there if you need it, too.
Bob

Bob.. Thanks brother! Your message means a LOT to me. "Newports" are the brand that I smoke. The "Lorilard" company used to make them.. but R.J. Reynolds bought them.. and I was told that the CEO of R.J. Reynolds ordered a significant increase of the nicotine-content in the cigarettes. Maggots...

I recently inquired on "vaping" at a store down the street. The owner was "straight" with me.. and didn't try to sell me anything. He said; "when your ready; come back with a plan to cut-down on the cigarettes. The vape-juice is available with a menthol tobacco-flavor and nicotine to help satisfy the cravings". He also said that there's nothing in a vape-product that compares to smoking an actual cigarette.. so don't expect that. I thought that was good advice.. and plan to give the vaping a try. I'm scared to still be smoking cigarettes; now into my late 50's. As stupid as it is.. I keep buying/smoking them.

The "vape-unit" requires an initial investment (like you can put a price-tag on living longer..) of a good-quality unit that "mimics" the draw off of a cigarette through an adjustable air-valve.. and an adjustable metered-flow of the "vape-juice". It costs about $150. I asked about the "pens" that I've seen people use.. but he didn't recommend them.. because of the lack of adjustability. There's a "battery" ($20)that lasts between 6 months and a year.. depending.. and a "coil" ($5) that lasts about as long as a vape-juice refill.. (1-2 weeks depending on use). The vape-juice costs $30/vial. My cigarette habit costs me $70/week at $10/pack. Do the math.. and in less than a month I could get myself set-up with a vape-unit, "juice" and accessories.

I asked a LOT of questions... and got a lot of information. The vape-juice is flavored-water.. and non-toxic. The vape-unit basically "steams" the juice into a vapor which is inhaled. The "tobacco-juice" has nicotine.. which would make you sick if you "drank-it" but that's all. There are literally hundreds of vape-flavors such as various candies, fruits, meats, cheeses, cookies.. that people typically "switch-to" after kicking their nicotine-habit.. which can also satisfy snack-food cravings. I don't know how "safe" vaping is.. but it has to be safer than inhaling cigarette-smoke and the carcinogens associated with it.

I'm stupid to even be contemplating the price to try it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:48 pm

A few years back I went the disposable Vape cig route for a bit.... mostly cuz I promised my wife I would not smoke in her or my new cars

Took a bit to find a brand that had the same feel and "hit" of a lit smoke...BUT all of them made me hack and to me had a too long lingering after taste

My smoking habit started at age 12 and it is sad now to reflect that the only concern my parents had was for me to NOT swipe their Lucky Strikes.  I had to earn an allowance or mow yards to support my own smoking....more disturbing, with what we know, in that I was allowed to smoke on the school buss...in the back with a window open

I have had many deep conversations with the occasional Doctor who thought (thinks still) that I was absolutely suicidal to keep smoking given all we know

BUT I now have a doc who is my age and was a flight surgeon basically same years I was active duty.

So we have conversations about if or if not tobacco is as bad as swimming in PD680, dry cleaning solvent, or TriClorofloroetheliene, or huffing Zink Chromate, or CARC ( chemical agent restive coating), or living in steam heated barracks with asbestos covered covered pipes the frequently got damaged and repaired and on and on.... like the decades I was covered up to my arm pits in engine oils full of leaded fuel and babbit bearing wear metals...( like lead and beryllium copper)

He thinks, considering all my life experiences, that I will certainly die of OTHER than Lung cancers or live forever...he is optimistic that I will out live him...no seriously... he too still smokes

So I have a doc now that sees...my life experience.... does indeed have a VERY HIGH degree of cancer risk and apparently 50 years of smoking...so far... has not driven my lungs to COPD or any currently detectable cancers....

ON the other hand, just yesterday I had another skin cancer cut off....by my estimation, in the last 13 years, the doc has cut away about 5 Sq Inches of my precious skin... and I get uglier and uglier each year

But hey... I can still run two miles and NOT be winded..... and the reduced wind resistant from missing facial and ear mass just makes me faster.....

OK insert morbid...horrified grin in here

The rest of you who still smoke... QUIT!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:26 am

Ok Kim, I am seriously envious of you and your "Old Yellow Pal." I wish I had one sitting in a hangar in my back yard. What a wonderful experience it must be to own and fly one. Low and slow drifting at sunset on a breeze, can't get much better than that. My time for an adventure like that has come and gone, so I live vicariously through others.

I'm not sure how we transitioned from "Pete & Pauls" to smoking and health issues, but I'm game.

I bought a pack of Camels when I was about 12, "smoked" two or three and gave the rest away. Just didn't do anything for me. I did not escape the second hand experience though as my Dad smoked Herbert Tareyton's for years. Later on in my mid thirties I tried several five packs of "Rum Soaked Crooks" but gave them up too. That's the extent of my smoking.

I'm not sure what type II diabetes is but I don't think I have it although I love chocolate and sugar. Skybars in particular, love them so much I scanned a wrapper made a decal and placed it on the bottom of my Cyclones wing. I consume one a day followed by some chocolate ice cream variation and wash it all down with a glass of milk.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Skybar10

My diet has always been simple. My wife was not a cook. Mark's wife is, for verification check out the pictures of him on the motorcycles. 20 years ago he was slim and trim.

I eat almost no red meat. Lean pork, fish, and chicken only in small amounts. Four or five prunes every day along with raw carrots and Kipper's suffice. Pancakes (IHOP) are a weakness, bad for you but I love them. A "One-a-Day" vitamin for years and that's it. No meds and no health issues other than BPH and a hernia at 79 and 9/10ths. Doc's want to patch my hernia and biopsy my prostrate (again) always a no-show for the big C, but I decline. My last full physical was in 2012 but I have one scheduled for next month.

To some degree my life's experiences mirror Fred's, too much asbestos and toxins but who worries over spilled milk? That water pasted under the bridge long ago.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 am

One of our favorite air show visitors has returned to Cape for a week-long visit.  B-25 'Maid in the Shade' is an actual combat veteran, restored to it's original war time condition.

Gonna take my Uncle Wayne to see it this Wednesday.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 0_10

flyinglegendstour.com

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/38227782/wwii-b-25-bomber-to-soar-into-cape-girardeau-for-week-long-visit

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 12_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 13_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 10_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 11_10

-----------------------------------------------------------
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 2_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 3_11

The Missouri Veterans Home at Cape Girardeau brought out two buses of vets to view Maid in the Shade from the shade of our main hangar.
At least one was a WWII veteran who, as a Corporal, drove gas trucks in support of the B-25s where he was stationed.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 4_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 5_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 6_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 8_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 9_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 7_11

Added a new sample to my 'Warbird DNA Collection' !!!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 B-25_d10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am

Very conservative nose art.  "The Maid" is actually clothed lol!
Maybe they had to do that.
I would imagine in the day she may have been a little less PC

I have a "Nose Art" book.  I need to keep it hidden from my wife Embarassed
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Wow Kim, what a privilege.

Don't know when I have ever seen a prettier or nicer restored aircraft. Had to Google it, read articles and viewed a couple of videos regarding the "Maid". Bridge buster in Italy during WW2 and used as a crop duster post war.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Very conservative nose art.  "The Maid" is actually clothed lol!

Keep that book Rod. If not all ready, it will be a example of a lost art.
As the world winds its way into a blended neutrality of blandness.  It is now true, girls can join the Boy Scouts, and military intelligence issues orders:

The British MoD banned the use of pin-up women in nose art on Royal Air Force aircraft in 2007, as commanders decided the images (many containing naked women), were inappropriate and potentially offensive to female personnel, although there were no documented complaints.[27]

In 1993 the United States Air Force Air Mobility Command ordered that all nose art should be gender-neutral.[28]

It may be the only “proper place” to display it, as the modelers, in building period correct models.  Otherwise we’ll end up using (rainbows) and (glittering shooting stars) lol!

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Emoji don’t show up!)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Gender neutral greenie issued.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm

You Lucky dog U LOL That bird looks great with the restore ! Kim you're not going to catch a ride up are you Huh... Laughing Love the DNA sample , Nose Art work O'hea tongue
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:18 pm

getback wrote:You Lucky dog U LOL That bird looks great with the restore ! Kim you're not going to catch a ride up are you Huh...  Laughing Love the DNA sample , Nose Art work O'hea tongue

Don't know about a ride....I was seriously thinking about it, but want to ride up front, and that's a ticket for over $600.  I got other Warbird plans from that account!

Last edited by Kim on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm

Marleysky wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:Very conservative nose art.  "The Maid" is actually clothed lol!

Keep that book Rod. If not all ready, it will be a example of a lost art.
As the world winds its way into a blended neutrality of blandness.  It is now true, girls can join the Boy Scouts, and military intelligence issues orders:

The British MoD banned the use of pin-up women in nose art on Royal Air Force aircraft in 2007, as commanders decided the images (many containing naked women), were inappropriate and potentially offensive to female personnel, although there were no documented complaints.[27]

In 1993 the United States Air Force Air Mobility Command ordered that all nose art should be gender-neutral.[28]

It may be the only “proper place” to display it, as the modelers, in building period correct models.  Otherwise we’ll end up using (rainbows) and (glittering shooting stars) lol!

Yeah, but it DOES have value for some really humorous irony !! I've got the Hitlary-Voting Office Girl at the airport pretty worried about my assertion that I have a right to use the womens restroom due to gender confusion caused by my name! You'd think she'd be thrilled to help me throw off the chains of Pottie Oppression!

A Boy Named Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:02 am

Kim , "On the Ramp Now" is really cool. Always good pictures and good conversation pieces. At Reading WWII weekend last year, my son and I assisted on a oil change on the B-25 Panchito. We were the mules lugging the oil containers up to the guys on the wing. I enjoyed it and couldn't ask enough questions.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 am

This thread is the only one I have an email alert for.
Saw the alert at work, and had something to look
forward to when I got home. Eye candy plus!
Thanks Kim
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:54 am

Thanks Guys!

It's really good to know it's enjoyed!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Kim wrote:Thanks Guys!

Oh, it is. Last night I sent the link to my flying buddy Wayne. He won't post in forums, but he's always up for reading about and looking at airplanes.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:34 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Kim wrote:Thanks Guys!

Oh, it is. Last night I sent the link to my flying buddy Wayne. He won't post in forums, but he's always up for reading about and looking at airplanes.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty!

Thought I'd post some photos of Uncle Wayne and cousin Carol Ann's visit today:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 2_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 4_13

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 5_12

Quick visit to the souvenir stand:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 7_12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Ol' Wayne looks like a happy camper. It's so great that he has a nephew like you who cares enough to keep him engaged and having some fun. He looks pretty snazzy in his checkered shirt and Korea hat... and a sidearm in case of an enemy raid.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:17 pm

Having an early lunch at Sandy's Place at Cape's Airport, AND enjoying the view of a beautiful antique Fairchild 24 parked on the ramp!

This plane shared the same place in history as the Staggerwing Beech, WACO's, and others, giving businessmen a fast (for the time) corporate plane to travel the country.

Pretty sure this one's owner is here to see my buddy John Ellis, who is a guru with Ranger Engines...the type this 24 uses.

Airplane Nerd fun at the airport !!!

https://www.facebook.com/sandysplacecgi/

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_15

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 2_15
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am

I love the wheel pants and the paint scheme on that Fairchild. The 6 cyl 440 is a great engine of classic 20's design with its single overhead cam, non removable cylinder heads and king shaft camshaft drive.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Ranger10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Ranger11

A few days ago, I moved some stuff around and found this original Ranger cardboard box with piston rings that came with the engine above.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 P7091110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 P7091111

Fairchild also made a V12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 Ranger12
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Kim, like the Staggerwing I'm assuming many parts are fabric covered? I flew in Staggerwing. The pilot was offering spectators to peer into the plane and was very cautious and demanding that everyone follow his instructions on using the wing walk. We have a airport diner a little over a hour from my house. I really enjoy Sunday breakfast watching the planes land and take off from the grass run way.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 am

So once again, almost amazingly soon, I'm parked in a nice, grassy spot on the little airport outside Brodhead, Wisconsin.

The Pietenpol/Hatz Reunion doesn't start---officially---'till Friday, but there's already a sampling of Piets with the three powerplants usually associated with these little homebuilts:  Continental/Lyc's, Corvair Car Engine, and it's flagship, the Ford Model A Car Engine.

Here are photos I took this evening right before sunset:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 8_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 9_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 10_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 11_210

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 11_110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 11_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 12_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 12_110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 12_210
---------------------
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 13_110

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 13_13

I also caught this beautiful WACO 10, putting in some final flights in the last light of the day:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_18

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 2_18

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_115

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 3_18

More stuff tomorrow!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 am

Thanks, Kim.
Hope the sky is full of stars tonight.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 am

Hey Kimby,
I remember being fascinated with the Piets last time you went to a fly-in. Wayne was able to tell me more about them too. But how 'bout that rig with the aluminum radiator, it looks in the picture as if the vision straight ahead is completely obscured. How can the pilot see where the LOENSLOE is going? That's just begging to be a dumb question, Lol.
Duh... oh yeah,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 am

I was thinking the exact same thing Rusty so if its a dumb question, that makes two of us. lol!
Even if you can see a bit through the core it's still got to be tough.
A burst radiator hose doesn't bear thinking about Shocked
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 am

The radiator is not as badly placed as it seems...at least from the pilot's position.  Builders have located it below the nose and under the front of the fuse, but it's prone to rock strikes in those spots.

I flew a Ford-powered Piet once back in the 1990's, and just looked around the radiator, kinda like a train engineer leaning out the window of his locomotive.

There aren't a whole lot of reports about the radiators or their hoses blowing out, but I'm sure it's happened.  In all I guess it's just included in the risk of flying true antique replicas.

I was barely finishing my coffee this morning when the 'Brodhead Alarm Clocks' cranked up:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 2_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 3_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 4_16

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 5_15

Looks like things might get a little exciting later today:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 24 1_20
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 28 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next