Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Cox_ba12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Ramp Right Now!

Page 27 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Empty Re: On the Ramp Right Now!

Post  OhBee Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:43 pm

I don't get THAT at all!?
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:24 am

OhBee wrote:I don't get THAT at all!?

I think there is more to all this new math theory that is very impractical, a motive for greed. Burning Cash Someone made a good bit of money by writing and selling those new method textbooks.
Money Toss

Hijacked For example, this Fall, I paid $229 for an on-line college Spanish III book. I ended up buying the printed book, because using on-line was so hard to read (even on a 24" monitor!), plus it would not allow me to print out all the pages, only the basic text. Devil (I settled on a used teacher's book No! for under $20 Paranoid on the open market, must be that nobody wanted that. Shocked Laughing .

In reality, it was a better buy because it had all sorts of extra info to pass onto students, things to look out for, additional info on for example verb usage, etc., not just the answers to the exercises. sunny The on-line book was a must as all the exercises with ones not in the printed book and 90% of the grading was done on line. Thumbs Down )

(I dropped this class half way through after getting an "A" in the midterm, because the instructor made the on-line exercises available after 5pm and due the very same day as her lecture at midnight, instead of allowing students to complete them before the next class like most teachers do. I got tired of too many nights going to bed after midnight. Mad )

Mind you, the older proven text books for standard basic classes are all but gone now, the ones that could be bought new for less than $50, used for half that or less. It used to be that those older text books were used to teach standard curriculum classes. The special books were when one got into the upper level courses, where the advance subjects had additional info and what all, where it was more advantageous to have newer material.

Back To Topic I think this statement sums it up:

James 3:16 NASB wrote:For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 am

"The Miracle at KCGI"
Fourteen Years Ago Today

Almost 2 years before Captain Chelsey "Sully" Sullenburger landed his powerless Airbus A320 in the Hudson river (dubbed "The Miracle on the Hudson") after failure of both of his engine due to bird strikes, we had our own "Ground Hog Day Miracle" at Cape Girardeau's airport.

On February 2nd, 2007, a Beechcraft Super King Air B200, cruising at twenty seven thousand feet, suffered a loss of cabin pressure, incapacitating it's crew, and entered a near-vertical dive.  

As the plane reached lower altitudes, the crew regained consciousness and pulled it from it's high-speed dive at around seven thousand feet, shedding most of it's horizontal tail surfaces, bending it's wings, and warping it's rear fuselage in the process.

With the King Air's elevators left behind to flutter down into the Missouri farm fields, the pilots' only pitch control was with engine thrust.  Using engine power as their sole method of raising and lowering the plane's nose, they made a successful, albeit very fast, landing on Runway 10 at Cape Girardeau Regional Airport.

The pilot later joked that he'd "ruined 4 new tires"...the King Air had landed so fast that, on runway contact, it ground flat spots in the tires of it's main landing gear.

The twisted King Air was parked and tied down on the east ramp for some time before finally being cut up, and hauled away.

During this time, the now-legendary King Air became somewhat of a tourist attraction, with pilots asking simply, "Is that it?" as they got out of their planes.  It also wasn't unusual for arriving planes to ignore my parking gestures, taxi down the ramp, circle the bent Beechcraft a couple times, and then head back out for departure.

The last we saw of "The Miracle King Air" was it's dismembered carcass being hauled away down I-55, with Lineman Mark Perry catching a few pictures of it's unceremonious departure.

It's easy for me to say, but I thought it should have been preserved, both as a testimony to it's pilots' peek into the Abyss, and the incredibly strong wings that Beechcraft builds for their airplanes.

So, Happy Groundhog Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWuPmGPBW8o

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Roll_o10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscn3212
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscn3210

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 0_317
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 2_165

Somewhat difficult to see from this angle...the rear fuselage of the King Air was visibly warped from the forces it encountered during it's dive recovery.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 4_912
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscn3213
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscn3214
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscn3215

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 1_186
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 2_166
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 4_513

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 5_56
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0311
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0310
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0312
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0314
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0313
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0315
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0710
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0711
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0810

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0812
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dscf0811

Last edited by Kim on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:13 pm; edited 7 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:19 am

That truly is a miracle. Everything would have had to be just right to pull that off and being groggy from lack of oxygen and still managing to land that thing is beyond impressive.

King Air’s are what our FAA flight check crews use almost exclusively within the CONUS. They break continuously, I’ve always thought they were junk as I have waited countless hours for broken birds to arrive. After seeing that plane and hearing your story I am going to change my mind about that.

Ron

Edit: Investigation cited pilot error “poor judgement”  As the cause however, the pilots were on point in the recovery if you ask me. Just watched the video, didn’t realize you were famous.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20070202-0

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:20 am

Reminded me of "The Impossible Landing" in Sioux City profiled frequently on Smithsonian's "Air Disasters."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dc+10+sioux+city&docid=608008713702149656&mid=FCC05A8F92DA0B508111FCC05A8F92DA0B508111&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:14 pm

My brush with obscure (REALLY obscure) aviation history.

"The Piranha"

Back in 1976, I was working for Ohio Valley Aviation in Paducah, Kentucky, when this little hotrod parked with us for a while.

With it's flashy paint scheme and fearsome toothy fish on it's cowling, I'd assumed that it was a Goodyear/Formula Racer, but it's pilot quickly informed me that it's purpose wasn't for running silly laps around some pylons.

"The Piranha" was a "COIN Fighter"!  "COIN" for Counter Insurgency.  It was designed to carry weapons into combat zones, making precise strikes and then getting the heck outta Dodge.

It's tiny size would be an asset, I was told, in that it'd be difficult to hit as it pounced upon it's prey...and maybe so...though I got the impression that a well-placed .22 might cause it's pilot a bunch of distress.

Even back then, I was developing some healthy cynicism toward "airport tales", and wrote the stories off as puffery, just admiring the little "Piranha" for it's cuteness...like a little minnow with attitude.

Well what did I know??!!  The pilot's story was true, and while the little COIN Fighter never made it into production, it WAS a real thing.  It's apparently STILL flying, though sporting a much more military paint scheme.

Also, in the background of the second photo is the only known image of my first 4-wheeled vehicle...my Ford LTD Station Wagon.  I know what you're thinking, "Man! What a Babe Magnet!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Electric_Piranha

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 200_17
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 204_13
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 11-23-10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:51 pm

There is an RC-model of that too, made for the Webra .12 "speedy" engine:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Webra_10
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:41 am

That’s quite a unique little airplane! The wiki page says it was somehow based on the Cosmic Wind, no wonder it looks a bit like a pylon racer Smile

I imagine it would take some cajones to take that thing to a war zone with a 500lb bomb tied under belly Shocked Or the wing tip rocket pods, holy moly...

Ford LTD eh? I thought it was a ”WQ Family Truckster” Very Happy A magnet nevertheless. The bronze-white Dodge(?) van looks exactly like the one the local paper mill used for hauling quests, customers and big shots around in the late ’70s and ’80s. American vans were not common around here at that time, so it was quite an attention catcher for us young boys Cool
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:15 am

KariFS wrote:

Ford LTD eh? I thought it was a ”WQ Family Truckster” Very Happy A magnet nevertheless.  

Yeah, at the time, it belonged to my future mother-in-law Paranoid  !!!  I was still living on my 1974 XLCH Sportster, whose rear tire can barely be seen on the right.

I really wanted a van to haul my planes, but settled for the LTD, which was...sort of...like an aircraft carrier.  For all it's problems, it did get me around, and there would be a much-more hated vehicle in my future---a horrible Green Maverick that came with my first wife!  She got this unholy, money-pit, piece of junk "cheap" from her car-dealing uncle.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Mr_han10

I was afraid to let her drive it alone, so she drove a newer car I'd bought, while I loaded my planes into this Demonic Chariot.  Can't remember what happened to it...think her uncle "bought it back with an adjustment for mileage".  I believe that it's irrational to project human emotions on an inanimate object, but I would have loved to witness that thing being crushed in a junkyard compactor.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 N11_10

She was cute though...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Sports10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 am

Kim wrote:
She was cute though...

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Sports10

She was! And the girl is pretty too Very Happy

Here’s mine:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 45c60810

This Site Rocks!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:19 am

[quote="KariFS"]
Kim wrote:
She was cute though...

Here’s mine:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 45c60810

This Site Rocks!

Yeah Boy!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm

I love the AMF stripes. I have a basket case Harley SX-250 enduro. It's a TANK!!. Red, white, Black , and blue stripes and I'll probably never see it back together as it needs lots of parts. I've owned it for almost 40 years and it's survived a few moves with the hopes that someday I will see it back to it's former glory. For now, I have 3 others that keep me more than occupied.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:12 pm

Got a call from my little brother, wanting me to check out Whiteman AFB on Google Earth.  Seems a B-2 Spirit took a turn off the runway, and was surrounded by it's recovery crew when the photo was snapped.  According to the tab, the photo was taken in 2016.

There were also a couple Warthogs, one in invasion stripes, parked on the south ramp.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 5_66
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 6_66
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 7_63
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 9_44
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 11_48
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 14_35
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:15 pm

The most recent issue of Air Classics Magazine features a bittersweet article on the retirement of a Douglas DC-4, making its last flight before being put on permanent static display.  It's a bit sad to see a classic, historical airplane surrender its airworthiness, but good to know it was spared from the scrapper's torch.

WAY back in June, 2011, I was working the Line at Cape Girardeau's airport, when the Skymaster stopped for fuel.  It was on its way to Florida to do "Stand-By Service" during oil spill threats in the Gulf of Mexico.

I was VERY fortunate to have been given a tour of what the crews called their "Dawn Bomber"...named for the detergent mix they carried to coat oil slicks and break them down  I was also treated to several great stories from the crew.

A comical "conflict of cultures" occurred when the airport manager complained about the oil stains left behind by the four radial engines, while I wanted them marked as shrines! Very Happy  Very Happy

Anyway, we got them fueled and they were on their way.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Dsc_0132

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 500_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2314
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2315

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2317

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2318
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2320
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2319

Detergent tanks, and pumps.  On the right are the ends of the spray booms, which were detached and carried inside during ferry flights.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 590_10
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 595_10
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2312
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2311
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Img_2313

"Counting Blades and Watching for Flames"
Since the pilot can't see the engines on the right wing, a crew member keeps tabs on them during start-up.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 505_13

"Shades of the Berlin Airlift"!
The DC-4 had me remembering the often overlooked heroes who, at great risk to themselves, helped keep German civilians alive in the days following the end of WWII.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 560_10
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 568_10

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:36 pm

COOL !
Nice view of the internal works. They should have dribbled a few gallons of that "Dawn" Power bomb to help disperse the oil slick on the ramp!!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:41 pm

Marleysky wrote:COOL !
Nice view of the internal works. They should have dribbled a few gallons of that "Dawn" Power bomb to help disperse the oil slick on the ramp!!  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy YES!!!  A bit of Environmental Irony There!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:37 pm

So, I made my typical "Sunday Airport Run" today.

After turning onto the outer road, I was squinting (forgot my glasses) across the fields at a strange shape, parked on the ramp.  I could sense it was a tail dragger with twin rudders, as in Beech 18, but the blurry form just didn't look right for that plane.

It couldn't be, but it was!!!  A French "Broussard" was parked on the ramp!  Looking somewhat like a de Havilland "Beaver" with twin rudders, the MH.1521 Broussard had served the French Military for much the same purpose---as a hard working utility plane.  With big doors on its left fuse side (one swinging-one sliding), it was meant to haul loads.  This one had a medical litter and seat in the rear of the cabin.

I'd never seen one in the flesh, and this almost made me forgive my airport spies for not calling me when a Corsair and Mustang stopped by earlier in the week (my airport gets a lot of "Oshkosh Migration").  I LOVE tough utility planes and this one, with its unpretentious stenciling and assorted protuberances stirs me like my fantasy Shorts "Sherpa"...and...it's a Tail Dragger to boot!!!!

The REAL hazard is that the Broussard fuse shape is REALLY close in profile to that of a Sig Mk.1 "Kadet", like the one I named "Mud Dabber".  MORE the hazard...it's constant chord (Hershey Bar) wing matches the Kadet wing kit I'd purchased in ye olden days, and still lurks in yonder storage shed.  The combination, with a few mods, could make a very convincing "Broussard/Kadet"---or--"Broudet?"  I've also got the full-size plans for both, somewhere.

BUT I promised myself no new projects 'till the "Gustave" BF-109 control liner is done...so I've got yet another voice, yelling in my head, "The Broussard Must Be Built!"

I'm holding the Xacto Demons back...for the moment...

Anyway, here are some photos...what a "pretty" plane!:

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 100_37
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 120_18
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 130_15

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 131_11
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 135_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 135_610
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 137_10
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 138_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 139_10
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 140_12
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 142_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 143_11
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 200_26
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 210_14

Last edited by Kim on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:36 am

http://www.mh-1521.fr/index.php?part=16

Many still fly in the US. Flying Flying
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:56 am

OVERLORD wrote:http://www.mh-1521.fr/index.php?part=16

Many still fly in the US. Flying Flying

Wonderful Plane! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:01 am

As @OVERLORD points out, quite a few specimens still remain internationally, many in flying condition, a testament to a well designed aircraft. It is kind of a throwback to the old DeHavilland Beaver. Regarding yours, Kim, do I see a Broussard Mud Dabber in the making? Laughing Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:31 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Regarding yours, Kim, do I see a Broussard Mud Dabber in the making? Laughing Very Happy

It's bugging me bad George!  But I've got so many half-baked & still-born projects laying around that I'm fighting it.  
It WOULD be SO cool though!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:54 am

Kim wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Regarding yours, Kim, do I see a Broussard Mud Dabber in the making? Laughing Very Happy

It's bugging me bad George!  But I've got so many half-baked & still-born projects laying around that I'm fighting it.  
It WOULD be SO cool though!

I thought the same thing George when I saw the Dabbers picture stuck in there. I would love to see it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 Empty On the Ramp in NZ

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:43 pm

Our recent holiday to New Zealand allowed me to attend a fly-in at the Mandeville aerodrome, home of the Croyden Aircraft co. museum.

Here's a few shots of what was on show.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230214
Percival Proctor

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230212
DH.82 "Tige".

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230213
DH.83 Fox Moth.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230216
DH.90 Dragonfly.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230215
Another "Tige" and its Minion.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230217
DH.89 Dragon Rapide (or Dominie to the Kiwis, having originally served in the military).

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 27 20230218
And finally, a J-1 Auster.

Do we notice a recurring theme here?

What wasn't on show was an "under restoration" DH.88 Comet Racer replica, built to spec. and to be flyable.  That'll be worth a look Damn!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:53 am

Beautiful Aircraft Rod!!!

I think the Dragon Rapide is the most elegant airliner of all time, and hope to get a ride in one some day.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:55 am

Nice looking bunch of planes and a lot of moths LOL did you get to see any fling ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 28 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next