Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

OH THE HUMANITY!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Empty Re: OH THE HUMANITY!!

Post  balogh Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:28 am

I believe this 90 degree staggered cylinder design with shared crankcase is bleeding of multiple wounds and am not sure whether it starts up at all....yet attracted 41+ bids. I am curious to know if the (un)lucky buyer has finally protested after trying to run this engine..the ebayer noted:"...it appears that it has never been mounted or run...." I would have been surprised to read something different.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 am

It certainly looks well made and I believe there's every chance it could run if the crank was configured for both pistons to reach TDC at the same time, firing simultaneously. The offset of the cylinders is significant, meaning there may be room for a disc with a separate crank pin.
Seller states "Alternate Firing", which can't work.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am

It certainly has the appearance of being a professional product. I don't know if the seller turned the crank to discern whether alternate firing or not. Fact it uses the Sure Start back indicates a possibility that the creator didn't intend a performance engine, perhaps a rare one-of-a-kind type engine.

One would think that to go to a level of such finish would also be meticulous on the technical details for true function. But as such, one can purchase a higher performance single cylinder Medallion or Tee Dee .09 at significantly less, not to mention other make engines of similar displacement, and as such best left to collectors.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:42 am

KariFS wrote:
OVERLORD wrote:The cylinder comes from a Panhard & Levassor engine. It is post war. The model could be Dyna, Dyna Z, PL 17 or PL 24. I got several of these cylinders. Am I rich now??

Well, if you have some pink paint handy, you may well be rich Smile

Iremember the exhaust manifold you made for the Traction Avant, that, my friend, truly is a piece of art!

Thanks Kari. That reminded me to search those pictures again. After changing computers and shifting pictures from PC to laptop, i finally found them back on a cd.

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Uitlaa10

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Uitlaa12

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Uitlaa11
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Nice exhaust system work, Overlord.  Exhaust manifold header has equal length pipes, really nice welding work. I remember the very restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds on our old 1964 Ford Falcon sedan. It was a 200 cubic inch (3.3 L) in-line 6 cylinder. It had a single carburetor. While in high school, when I pulled the head off it back in 1970 or 1971, the inboard two cylinders had more cylinder wear than the two outer ones. There was a noticeable ridge at cylinder top where the top piston ring stopped. This meant that the inboard was getting more fuel and producing more power than the outer.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon May 01, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks George, The length of the primary pipes (from the engine to the cone) can be calculated by a formula. The difficulty is then to approach as much to that given length as possible. The pipe from the cone to the back of the car is the same length as the primary pipe or X times that length. The 4 in 1 piece was a challenge to make and took a lot of metal beeting. On the left, the stainless steel cone as purchased and right the finished piece.

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 Reduct10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon May 01, 2017 3:09 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:I remember the very restrictive intake and exhaust manifolds on our old 1964 Ford Falcon sedan. It was a 200 cubic inch (3.3 L) in-line 6 cylinder. It had a single carburetor.

George.  The pre-crossflow Ford heads were an atrocious design.  Here's one that someone has tried to improve by making a two barrel carb adaptor.  
OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 S-l16013
Can't see how it will do any good.  I could imagine that the fuel would already be starting to condense by the time it reached cylinder numbers 1 & 6.
Made me think of this.

For an insight into Carburetors check out from 1.22.

Rod.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Mon May 01, 2017 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Failed to attach picture in first attempt)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

Nice hand formed work for the header collector, Overlord. One would never guess it wasn't a shop formed part.

Good video, Rod, humorous. In this case, the intake manifold was cast with the head. It resembled a thick wall pipe, both ends were caped with freeze plugs. It was on the starboard side of the car, the separate exhaust manifold, which was also a reasonably straight piece of work was bolted on the port side. So, flow did cross the piston. It was about as cheap to manufacture as one could go.

Back then, it wasn't an efficient arrangement. Car got roughly 18 miles to the gallon. The Ford Company claimed that their engineers fitted the engine with an equal length exhaust header and got 30 miles to the gallon.

I took it down to Hawaii Raceway park at Campbell Industrial Center on Oahu, clocked a 24 second run in the quarter mile. This was before the days that insurance companies would visit places like this and take down license number of vehicles, trace the owners and up or cancel their insurance. The car had a 2 speed wide ratio Ford-O-Matic automatic transmission.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 pm

George.
Sorry, I failed to attach the picture of the Ford head. Fixed now. I'm pretty sure this is the type of head you refer to, but they were not a cross-flow. The exhaust manifold bolts on directly below the intake manifold casting. Of course, I can only refer to the Aussie Ford Falcon version, originally with a small single barrel carb. I dare say they were the same.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:George. Sorry, I failed to attach the picture of the Ford head.  Fixed now.  I'm pretty sure this is the type of head you refer to, but they were not a cross-flow.  The exhaust manifold bolts on directly below the intake manifold casting.  Of course, I can only refer to the Aussie Ford Falcon version, originally with a small single barrel carb.  I dare say they were the same. Rod.

Rod, you're right. It's been 46 years since I last saw that 1964 Falcon. I found a photo from the Mustang:

OH THE HUMANITY!! - Page 2 P4144310

The Falcon's engine compartment was laid out similarly.

They went from 4 main bearings to 7 in 1965. While a high school student, I pulled the head and ground the valves, polished valve seats at the Sub Base Pearl Harbor Auto Hobby Shop around 1970. My father sold the Falcon and replaced it with a 1971 Mazda 1200 4 door sedan with 3 speed Borg Warner automatic transmission. It's acceleration wasn't as good as the Ford, you could run along side it for the first 100 yards. Shocked

They now have custom single and dual headers, and even a custom 3 carb set up with a specially modified head. Use larger Chevorlet valves to open up the engine some. They claim that rather than drop in a V-8, that the 6 can be hopped up sufficiently to make it pleasant to ride. Smoking
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2