Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Cox_ba12

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 11:39 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 11:23 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 10:59 am

» How's the weather?
by rsv1cox Today at 10:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Empty
Live on Patrol

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Empty Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 am

I guess that I'm going to have to build a stooge if I'm going to get any circle flying in this spring.

Looking around for a suitable victim to sacrifice in the name of regaining some resistance to the dizzies I recovered this plastic Airacobra/Kingcobra from the ceiling of the shed.  I had hung it there last fall only dropping it in the process breaking the nose gear off and snapping the propeller in two.  Still kicking myself for that one but no big deal, it's fixable.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aircob10

I'm debating whether to rebuild the thing or just "fly" it as is.  One half of the elevator is missing, but it's the "right" half.  It still operates and the effect would be to roll the model up and to the outside of the circle.  Ok I can deal with that.  But the engine is seized and needs to be heated to free it up.  Not a good idea when it's sitting in a plastic fuselage. But......... I think I can spray it with some Remoil and force it free.  But....... the vent and filler nipples are both broken off on the fuel tank.  But............ I can heat a piece of brass tubing and force it into the tank and take care of that.  

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco10

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aircob11

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aircob12

I have spare props and have forced the nose gear assembly back into the fuselage enough to facilitate a take off roll.  Problems solved, but I'm still debating whether or not to build a new elevator, replace the fuel tank and engine and clean it up prior to flight.  But that defeats my sacrificial purpose.  I have many other flyable Aira/King Cobras but if (more like when) I crash this one it will not be a great loss.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aircob14

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aircob13

I found an old rusty (Rusty Bolt/Nail) bolt from my Florida days and cleaned it up in hopes of building a stooge.  Seems like roddie built one using something similar.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Empty Re: Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra

Post  Kim Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:45 am

Yo Bob!

I've got an elevator from a silver Aracobra I could try to get to you quick if you can use it...heck, I got a whole airframe but don't know if it's value is worth the postage.

I intend to take it and it's brother to S.M.A.L.L. and sell or adopt them out with a pile of other stuff I don't have the heart to burn...yet.

Junk Yard Kim

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:52 am

Kim wrote:Yo Bob!

I've got an elevator from a silver Aracobra I could try to get to you quick if you can use it...heck, I got a whole airframe but don't know if it's value is worth the postage.

I intend to take it and it's brother to S.M.A.L.L. and sell or adopt them out with a pile of other stuff I don't have the heart to burn...yet.

Junk Yard Kim

Thanks for the offer Kim, but just go ahead and sell the parts.  I will probably break down and rebuild the thing.  I love doing that stuff anyway. (I can make a new elevator out of balsa and afix with cloth hinges.)
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Hey Bob, The weak lynk is that fuel tank.Very brittle. BEE Careful.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Bob, you might consider bolting in a tee dee and install a wedge tank...it'll kinka be like a 'rat rod' of plastic rtf's!

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Maxres10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm

akjgardner wrote:Hey Bob, The weak lynk is that fuel tank.Very brittle. BEE Careful.

Yes, very fragile.  I tried to save the fuel filler nipple but it snapped off when I carefully tried to remove it, even used penetrating oil in the attempt.  Oh well, another heated brass tube to insert.  I believe the filler tube goes all the way to the bottom of the tank so I will have to be careful not to disturb it.  It's also located on the outboard side of the tank.  

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco12

Well, I tried to loosen the motor by using penetrating oil and working the prop.  No go, I just broke off the other blade.  I was also worried about twisting the con rod off the piston, been there done that.  Sad.  Into the boil pot tomorrow but I could just mount one of my spare engines, and fix the elevator and go crash it.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco13

I know better than to try and remove the wing.  Can't be done without breaking it.  If you know how, let me in on the secret.  I bought one on ebay a couple of years ago and asked the seller NOT to remove the wing.  He either didn't see or ignored my request removing the wing and breaking the tabs.  Saved him a couple of bucks shipping and cost me an airplane.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco14

I think I can save that elevator.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco17

But now that I have it all apart I'm thinking , wouldn't it be nice to remove all the decals, clean it up within an inch of it's rated life, repair all the damage, paint it plastic cote blue, re-decal it, build a canopy out of balsa and put it on the shelf and worship it.  Nah, go crash it.  

AMF did a good job on this model for all it's faults. Landing gear for example.  It is well screwed together and is quite innovative being the only model I have seen with ailerons molded in a constant right turn position keeping it hanging out on the lines without additional tip weight. But I did trash that silly pilot ejection mechanism.

Right and left ailerons:

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco19

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco20

And....suffer me this.  "The best little car in the world" - I think this every time I drive my MX-5, "Miata" to most.  I spent most of yesterday giving it it's spring clean-up and couldn't resist snapping a picture as I passed it going into the house.  It took me about 65 years to find a sports car that I'm totally infatuated with.  Not just any MX-5, this MX-5.  I had a perfect 2001 low miles, rust free, six speed Miata and sold it keeping this one.  Externally, this one looks fine, but underneath it's a rusty mess (whoops, better not go there Smile).  But it drives and runs better than any car that I have ever owned.  They are going to have to bury me in this one.  Smile

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco16

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco18

PS:  Ha Mark, we hit "send" at the same time and you won.  Love the '57 Chevy.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Nothing like a nice boneyard resurrection! I'd get it running and fly it like it is.

RC Plane

I got this for $5 at a flea market a few years ago. https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7240-went-to-a-flea-market-today#91555

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  20141011
Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  20141012

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:16 pm

I remember that post. Missing half an elevator and canopy, twin to mine but at least yours has the fuel tank nipples. Did you ever fly it?

I have several and I haven't flown a one. Sad

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Speaking of a King Cobra, how do you like this one?
This is Sonny Williams of my MCLS club and he had it flying last Saturday in Huntersville.
Powered by an OS .60fp, about 850 squares.
Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Sonnys10

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 am

Wow, Lotta plane Rusty. I hope that Sonny is fully anchored to the ground while flying it with that OS .60. Reminds me somewhat of the ancient Flip Flop we discovered while researching the picture of the fellow holding one in front of the old 35 Chevy coupe. But that King Cobra is a whole world of difference.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Flip_f10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:19 am

RknRusty wrote:Speaking of a King Cobra, how do you like this one?
This is Sonny Williams of my MCLS club and he had it flying last Saturday in Huntersville.
Powered by an OS .60fp, about 850 squares.
Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Sonnys10

Man, I GOT to get down there this year!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:48 am

Well, I didn't have much choice if I was ever going to fly this thing, sacrificial or not.

The motor was stuck beyond saving without a full disassembly, the fuel tank was a mess, and there really was not a practical way to fly with half an elevator. Soooo I attacked the sucker.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c11

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c12

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c13

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c10

The decals came off easy, the adhesive not so. Determination, patience, and a gallon or two of Goo-Gone prevailed. Now to address that broken elevator, broken mount for the nose gear, broken fuel tank, and frozen engine (boiling now) then some paint. Anyone ever use that Fusion on plastic? Shows black but it's really Corsair blue. I would like to remove the wing and paint it yellow and the fuselage blue, but I know the tabs would snap off if I did.

Still a step up from this mess.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco21

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco22

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi Bob,
Looks like a fun project! If you got a arts-n-craft store or hobby shop close by you might make that elevator out of polystyrene.

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:00 pm

That's crossed my mind Mark, and I'm sure that I have a sheet around the house somewhere laying flat in a place that I will never find it.

But, I have been playing around with something like this:

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Tools_16

The right side pin of the horizontal stab is missing but I could drill a hole and insert the tapered end of the bamboo in there and fix the other end somehow to the plastic control. I'm afraid that if I use cloth hinges they would not align with the pivot point of the more centrally located control. Of course I could just shorten the control rod and replace the whole elevator assembly.

Working on it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 pm

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  New_ri10

looks good, there's always more than one way to do something, pin with skewer or make a small pin out of music wire and your right, might be easy to just make a whole new elevator...as far as the plastic, i've been there, found some polystyrene at local hobbytown, stuff is easy to sand and shape.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:01 am

rsv1cox wrote:That's crossed my mind Mark, and I'm sure that I have a sheet around the house somewhere laying flat in a place that I will never find it. But, I have been playing around with something like this:

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Tools_16

The right side pin of the horizontal stab is missing but I could drill a hole and insert the tapered end of the bamboo in there and fix the other end somehow to the plastic control.  I'm afraid that if I use cloth hinges they would not align with the pivot point of the more centrally located control.  Of course I could just shorten the control rod and replace the whole elevator assembly. Working on it.

Your work restoring missing elevator panel reminds me of an experience I had 45 years ago.

Back in high school 1971 or '72, as a Junior or Senior I bought a stripped Cox .049 turtle deck P-51 CL from the then fairly new Gemco department store (like Walmart) in Waipahu, Oahu, Hawaii from their outdoor tent sale. It was new but missing box, elevator, fuselage rear bottom cover from wing trailing edge to tail. I bought it for I forget what, think it was $0.50. It had a new .049 with red postage stamp back and prized fine thread brass needle. (Still have the engine.  Laughing ) I took it home, used 1/16" inch balsa sheet to craft me an elevator and made a square edge fuselage bottom. Used over and under crinoline cloth for hinges. Then finished my work in olive drab of color close to the molded plastic.

For only a fraction of the cost I had a functional RTF.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:50 am

So now you have my motor running Mark.

If I'm seeing your picture correctly you shaped and grafted a piece of plastic onto the right hand side of a broken elevator?  If so, you must have used plastic cement and I'm wondering about it's holding ability under stress? It seems that I can see the attachment point just to the right of the pivot.  But the plastic so perfectly matches the shape and color of the original I am questioning my eyesight.  Sad

Amazing that you could find that striped material so matching the original.  

Having nothing else to do I am going to try drilling a small hole where the broken pin was on the stab, then notch (tab A&B) the bamboo/plastic interface and epoxy.  I will have to split the balsa and epoxy the bamboo rod down the middle to retain the proper pivot point to match the other side.  Or I may just build a whole new elevator, or.........I may just trash it and go drive my MX-5.  Smile

Confession time.

As mentioned I A/F boiled the Wen-Mac motor and it came out great.  I followed my adopted procedure (from you I believe) of cleaning it without a full disassembly by removing from the boil, plunging it into a container of Simple Green, cycling it CW & CCW while submerged purging the A/F, then into a container of hot water purging the SG, then a compressed air blow-out, then into a container of alcohol and more CW & CCW, followed by a dousing of RemOil and more CW & CCW.  Saves gaskets.

But................ I had removed the severely bent needle, something like 45 degrees.  I replaced it in the NVA and attempted to straighten it without heating it first.  Paid the price as it snapped off as the expletives flew.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Airaco23

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c14

I have replacements but it still gnaws at me!!!!!!!

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c16

I am serious about building me a canopy for it.  Not the clown type of my Corsair but something more to scale.  Robbed one from one of my other Airacobras to use as an example.  Probably out of balsa.  Just got in my order from SIG.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Tools_17

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c15

Nice story George.  Making something out of nothing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:49 am

Bob

I am not seeing the bamboo skewer as the method I would use

On the stab out board hinge pivot location that is broken I would carefully drill a tiny hole and push a tee pin through Into the (CA Hardened) Balsa elevator then clip off the exposed portion

I would bend some small diameter music wire into a "U" and epoxy it to the good plastic- and new balsa elevator half, with the U just in front of the center pivot/ horn and probably have to relieve the fuselage pivot opening to accommodate the slightly weird new Balsa side pivot area
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks Fred,  I was hoping that you or roddie or someone would chime in with some logic regarding this effort.  

Using the smallest drill bit that I had, I did drill a hole in the far end of the stab but with my shaky hands and poor eyesight I managed to hit it slightly off center.  I will have to epoxy or JB Weld a reinforcement dot there, insert the pivot with some release agent twist to form a rotational pocket and try again.  Something like bedding a .243 on a micro scale.  I did hit the other end spot on though tapered the bamboo end and stuck it in for a tight fit.  Will fillet it with epoxy let it dry and try to break it loose.  

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aeri_e10

That bamboo is tough stuff.  This is a trial effort but I think that it will work.  If it doesn't, I will try again with a new effort.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aeri_e12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 am

Outboard shaky hand drilling aside...Your method is good... I was not seeing how but now that I see it ----I would actually do that way but with my bag of skewers that have all sorts of sizes and pick a slightly smaller diameter than you are using

Looking good...drive on sir, it is just a sacrificial beater any way....I doubt I would even spend a bunch o time making it perty
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 am

Yeah, but now I'm falling in love with the damn thing like I knew I would if I ever got into it.  Sad

Don't care even if I put hour's into it, it's going up.  Might even do as Mark suggested, drop in a Tee Dee .049, a wedgie and fire it off.  Smile

Add:  Internal control horn and rod, a feature I always liked about these.  Control horn located on the strong side too that might help.  I forgot to bush the add on, might have to clam shell something on there. New piece is just tacked on with CA, still have to layer with epoxy and sand.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_i11

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_i10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:33 am

My rainy day today has me playing with TeeDees as my bio on left sez...my personal Fav Cox engines

Do yourself a favor--- if you have one...use a Medallion with simple baloon tank--- and go have a giggling ball getting dizzy

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:51 am

rsv1cox wrote:As mentioned I A/F boiled the Wen-Mac motor and it came out great.  I followed my adopted procedure (from you I believe) of cleaning it without a full disassembly by removing from the boil, plunging it into a container of Simple Green, cycling it CW & CCW while submerged purging the A/F, then into a container of hot water purging the SG, then a compressed air blow-out, then into a container of alcohol and more CW & CCW, followed by a dousing of RemOil and more CW & CCW.  Saves gaskets.

But................ I had removed the severely bent needle, something like 45 degrees.  I replaced it in the NVA and attempted to straighten it without heating it first.  Paid the price as it snapped off as the expletives flew.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Aira_c14

I have replacements but it still gnaws at me!!!!!!!

Stuff happens, been there done that. I bought (bid win) a later Wen Mac .049 like yours. Orifice in spray bar won't clear even in boiling. I pulled the spray bar from the crankcase. Plan to JB weld me another, either an Enya assembly or one from a Sure Start assembly.

Nice story George.  Making something out of nothing.

You're welcome. Noticed a couple days ago, Bernie at Cox Int'l had the highly desired NOS Goldberg nylon engine mounts for postage back engines for a very reasonable fee. Smile Alas! They are sold out today! (Snooze, you lose!  Embarassed ) Kudos to those who grabbed them. Thumbs Up These use the Cox tank mount bolt pattern and allow firewall mounting without redrilling new holes.

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Cox_0411

Please note that this RTF donor engine doesn't have the original plain aluminum prop drive plate. I replaced that some time back with the cooler looking black. Eyebrows
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:34 pm

I guess that's a press in fit George.  Maybe I could tap it out if I know which end to approach.  Nice looking engine.  

This elevator is working out better than expected, so much so that I'm keeping the trial piece. I epoxied the open end tip of the bamboo letting it set a bit before rotating it for a few minutes so it would not glue up.  Made a nice little pocket and prevents any end play.  I filled in the bamboo/balsa interface with epoxy and made a bushing on the bamboo end duplicating the plastic side.  Pretty darn strong and I'm happy with it.  Even glued on a filler piece to match the "good" side.  Now to sand down and seal with sanding sealer prior to painting.  

Kinda rough right now but it will be better. Smile

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Tools_25

Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Tools_26

Rainy and miserable here in WV too Fred, that's why I have nothing else to do but to stay inside and bother everybody.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Kim wrote:Man, I GOT to get down there this year!
Yes, Kim, please come if you can. Not to sound melodramatic, but if we're ever going to meet in person, I feel time is growing short. But then I keep thinking that, yet here I am. The May contest is the smaller of the two, but still bigger than most. And more fun than oughtta be allowed.
Sacrificial Wen-Mac Kingcobra  Caroli10

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next