Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina Cox_ba12

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 10:04 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 8:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 8:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 7:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 9:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 9:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 1:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina Empty
Live on Patrol

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina

Go down

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina Empty STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina

Post  Kim Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 am

Finally heading back home after a week's run out to the east.  Since I was parked so close to I-40 while at the Carolina Classic, I decided to knock off a Bucket List item and visit Kitty Hawk.  Got some stuff on that later, if I don't run you all off with these ramblings.

I camped at Cape Hatteras for a couple days...about 25 miles south of Kitty Hawk...then moved north a few miles to a Park Service campground near the Oregon Inlet.  This gave me some steeper dunes to try my hand at sloping the 2M Bird of Time.

Gonna crunch out some video of it and the Huntersville Meet once I get home and settled, but here are some photos of the little B.O.T. getting coated with beach sand:

My campsite at the Oregon Inlet Campground.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 0_013

The 2M B.O.T. gets a charge before assaulting the beach.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 0_11

All you need for slope soaring.  Actually, the camera bag and lawn chair are optional, but can come in handy...just don't stumble over them if your R/C Body English includes wandering about a bit as you fly (blame control line flying for that).  The GoPro, for me, is almost mandatory these days...I like to pretend I'm along for the
ride.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 0_110

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 2_211

Though still a BUNCH higher than my beloved levees back home, the shoreline dunes to the north were fairly low, with a big gap for an access road.  Even though I couldn't see the gap from where I was standing, the B.O.T. instantly let me know when it crossed in front of it...with a sudden drop as if it had just snagged a pound of lead.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_610

There was another gap to the south, but also included a couple tall peaks that really gave the B.O.T. a huge boost of speed every time it passed by.  The glider looks like it's descending, but has just 'gotten the boot', and is accelerating (which will convert to altitude as soon as it's pilot puts down the camera and pulls in some elevator).
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_410

Riding the wave from the bigger dune, the B.O.T. climbs out.  Finding the peak of the lift (and the dead spots) is part of the fun/challenge and, unlike thermal soaring, tends to be pretty dependable as long as the winds stay constant.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 0_411

Unfortunately, my GoPro camera was jolted back and downward a bit at launch, giving me a lot bigger view of my sand-covered wing than I'd wanted.  Still not too bad.  The tall cranes in the distant background are part of the construction of a new bridge across the inlet.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_710

Nose low and booking down the beach.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_910

Running low and fast and right up against the dunes is fun, but can really pile up a sailplane without the roll response of ailerons.  Luckily for the B.O.T., I got away with this for a few passes before thinking better of it.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_1310

Shows how poorly I'd cleaned the sticky castor oil from the B.O.T.'s wing.  Up at about the top of the lift wave, we cruise back down the beach.  The Assault Van and it's camper just under the right stabilator tip.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_1210

Some of the local residents were less than impressed with the clumsy intruder that seemed to have a problem understanding slope soaring ettiquette and right-of-way rules.  
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 1_711

I managed to get down to the beach without falling on my face...not wanting to trust my depth-perception to land the B.O.T. while looking down from the dune.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_1010

Out in front of the lift wave, the B.O.T. glides in for a fairly smooth crosswind landing (meaning: it didn't cartwheel when it touched down).
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 1_213

Yeah, gonna have to get the shop-vac after the B.O.T. when I get home...
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_1110

So, that's it for the moment...nothing is bent or broken so far.  I ought to be rolling up the hill this evening, and will post more after I get after my yard which, I am sure looks like a hay field by now...

On The Road Kim

Last edited by Kim on Fri May 12, 2017 7:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina Empty Re: STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina

Post  fit90 Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 am

Great pics! Really looking forward to the vids! Forget the yard. It will always be there. Keep having fun! Have a safe and fun trip home.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina Empty Re: STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina

Post  RknRusty Fri May 12, 2017 1:30 pm

I saw this on your FB page first, mistakenly thought you were already back in Mo., as you can tell from my comment over there.
When you do settle in, we can collaborate on a Huntersville report since I've written pretty much nothing about it yet. I have a couple of notepad files from where I started writing and fizzled.
Take care, Bro. Be careful on the road.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Fri May 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Kim wrote:Finally heading back home after a week's run out to the east.  Since I was parked so close to I-40 while at the Carolina Classic, I decided to knock off a Bucket List item, and visit Kitty Hawk.  Got some stuff on that later, if I don't run you all off with these ramblings.

I camped at Cape Hatteras for a couple days...about 25 miles south of Kitty Hawk...then moved north a few miles to a Park Service campground near the Oregon Inlet.  This gave me some steeper dunes to try my hand at sloping the 2M Bird of Time.

Gonna crunch out some video of it and the Huntersville Meet once I get home and settled, but here are some photos of the little B.O.T. getting coated with beach sand:

All you need for slope soaring.  Actually, the camera bag and lawn chair are optional, but can come in handy...just don't stumble over them if your R/C Body English includes wandering about a bit as you fly (blame control line flying for that).  The GoPro, for me, is almost mandatory these days...I like to pretend I'm along for the
ride.

Though still a BUNCH higher than my beloved levees back home, the shoreline dunes to the north were fairly low, with a big gap for an access road.  Even though I couldn't see the gap from where I was standing, the B.O.T. instantly let me know when it crossed in front of it...with a sudden drop as if it had just snagged a pound of lead.
STILL on the Road...Slope Soaring the 2m B.O.T. at Oregon Inlet, Outter Banks, North Carolina 3_610

So, that's it for the moment...nothing is bent or broken so far.  I ought to be rolling up the hill this evening, and will post more after I get after my yard which, I am sure looks like a hay field by now...

On The Road Kim

wow am I jealous. I still haven't slope soared since my last surgery.  happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Living vicariously through the eyes of Kim, Rusty and all other of my CEF buddies.... I Love This Forum!

Thanks brother, I am loving my down time between home and yard chores!!!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Another great pictorial Kim.

My wife and I camped on that very beach for a week back in the early '60's. Unfortunately we had the sister-in-law and her hubby along primarily because they had the camper, one of those pop-up things. Sand stuck to everything, mostly the sheets. Sad

One evening about dusk I swam out about a mile, maybe more in dead calm seas. Got to thinking about it and decided to make it to shore. It was long before Jaws the movie came out but those finned things were on my mind.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 12, 2017 8:11 pm

RknRusty wrote:I saw this on your FB page first, mistakenly thought you were already back in Mo., as you can tell from my comment over there.
When you do settle in, we can collaborate on a Huntersville report since I've written pretty much nothing about it yet. I have a couple of notepad files from where I started writing and fizzled.
Take care, Bro. Be careful on the road.
Rusty

Well, we'll blow up that writer's block!

Yeah, I try to make it generally look like I'm home when traveling, at least on Facebook anyway. My brain is road-fried right now, but will start up with you over coffee in the morning...seems like we do a lot of our posting in the extreme am anyway !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 12, 2017 8:14 pm

fit90 wrote:Great pics! Really looking forward to the vids! Forget the yard. It will always be there.

'Tis true! But we shall be 'baling hay' tomorrow!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Kitty Hawk!! Oh man, soaring the same river of air that Orville and Wilber flew in. That's now on my bucket List! Can't wait to see your pictures.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Yeah, I'm starting to regain my muse for getting a story going. It just takes this ol' dude a while to recover from a fun expedition like this. So I think we can make it fresh and entertaining. I'm still stoked, reliving it in the dark caverns of my head, flying patterns and talking to my long distance friends.

I'm back in my shop, post-fighting the Tutor, and found it wouldn't likely have finished another flight without the long pushrod breaking out of its clevis. It was bent in two places and hanging by a thread with a split clevis. It was built with Half-A R/C hardware. Rolling Eyes I found a cool new way to attach ball links to CF rod that I'll talk about. And I've tightened everything up so it's ready to fly in next Saturday's Joe Nall Stunt Contest. Maybe I can make another appearance in the winners' circle... or maybe not, but I bet I'll fly better with some patterns under my belt. That's just a day trip for me, so I won't be so exhausted after it's over.

See y'all in the funny pages,
Rockin' Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Sat May 13, 2017 1:44 am

Awesome Kim! Looking forward to more rambling. Smile
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down