Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2017
Kim's

"Cox Conquest gets a Run-Up."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Fitting Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fitting Cox .049 pistons to cylinders..

Post  Oldenginerod on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 am

Roddie. I know you said the screws tightened up ok, but I've found when removing the choke tube from a Surestart backplate that my screrws bottomed & needed shortening, or a washer under the head.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:21 am

Roddie, I've got one of my engines in that way.

To screw, you must remove the cylinder, screw it in and then replace the cylinder.
To prevent a screw from passing, you must place in these holes, these servo rings Du-Bro. Thumbs Up

MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks fella's.. good tips! I like the servo-mount inserts Mauricio! Thumbs Up My airplanes almost all have firewalls drilled for mounting the backplate for the fuel-line to be on the R/H side where I usually have a wedge-tank. This keeps the fuel-line as short as possible.

I really don't know why I chose to orient the cylinders "upright" on all six engines.. and I'm going to re-orient them all to run outboard. I honestly don't want to remove the cylinder to mount an engine.. plus; orienting it horizontally helps to protect it in a crash.

This triplane had its cylinder mounted "inboard".. when I flew it 25 years ago. It had balance issues (tail-heavy.. affraid ) so it only flew once.. and crashed.

The damage was minor and I've made some modifications.. but haven't flown it since.

Those top/bottom wing-flaps have been removed, saving .4oz. of weight behind the C of G.

I'll orient the cylinder outboard this time when I try to fly it. Those were the early days when I knew even less than I do now.. Laughing
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm

One more time.. Rolling Eyes (humor me please..) Back-plates have been re-oriented for mounting all-four screws to the firewall with a horizontal outboard cylinder configuration. (What a maroon.... Bugs Bunny..)

See that stubby screwdriver? OCD Roddie likes its' ratcheting function. I start each screw by turning it "out" until I feel the screw-threads engage with a "click".. then I tighten each a few turns. I do this to all four screws until they're close to seating. Then I set the ratchet-driver in reverse to act as a "clutch". When the ratchet clicks while tightening.. I switch to a diagonal screw in the pattern. When they all "click".. I switch-off the ratchet and tighten gradually in the same alternating sequence.. (the way I was taught to change a car tire..) without being too heavy-handed.. After all they're only 2-56 size screws.. The PH1 insert-bit fits these screw-heads nicely. The case-screws were sourced from Cox International (Bernie).. as were the back-plates.

The short-style needles and Mylar reeds were sourced from ExModel engines (Matt). I have a few long-style needles.. in the event that I want to try a choke-tube. The short needles are too short to work with them.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top