Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Cox_ba12

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Empty
Live on Patrol

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate

Go down

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Empty Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate

Post  roddie Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Hey folks, "Bob" (rsv1cox) commented recently on my methods when working with fuel-lines. Today I was installing a Cox .049 product-engine (horseshoe backplate) on one of my airplanes.. and thought I'd share how I went about it. It's difficult to install a fuel-line onto the NVA/nipple "after" the engine is mounted.. or if it happens to "pull-off" the nipple after the engine is mounted. Really small ID fuel-line will usually stay-put.. but I prefer to use fuel-line that has a slightly larger ID.

This example uses line that has a .075" ID and a .165" OD. It's categorized as "small-size" line.. although "Dubro's" small-size line has a .042" ID for comparison. If your running a high-performance engine on a suction-feed.. (as opposed to a pressure-bladder..) a little less-restriction to flow can be an advantage.

That point aside.. here's what I do to help keep the fuel-line from being inadvertently/accidentally being "pulled-off" the NVA. I use a short "sleeve" of alloy-tubing that's close to my fuel-tubing's "OD".

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Dsc04511

I then insert the fuel-tubing into the sleeve. If it's a tight-fit; I apply a little petroleum-jelly to the end of the line.. and "twist/slide" the alloy-sleeve onto the line, so that there's approximately 1/4" of fuel-line protruding. Just enough to push-onto the NVA's nipple.

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Dsc04513

This can give the fuel-line some rigidity for the ease of "initial" installation onto the nipple. Once the fuel-line is installed as far as possible.. the "sleeve" can then be pushed-forward; which compresses the line around the nipple's barb. I used blunt tweezers to push the sleeve forward; being careful not to abrade the silicone fuel-line. After the sleeve is in-place, the fuel-line isn't going to pull-off unless it's "yanked-off".

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Dsc04514

It's these little details that can save a lot of frustration at the field.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Empty Re: Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate

Post  Kim Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks Roddie...gonna give this a try!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate Empty Re: Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate

Post  roddie Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Kim wrote:Thanks Roddie...gonna give this a try!

I hope you do Kim! It's a simple step that can increase reliability. It can also bail you out, if you don't have any fuel-line that's small enough for the application.

I've posted this photo before.. but it's applicable to this thread. Try this; the next time you rebuild an engine with an integral fuel-tank.. (IE: Babe Bee, Golden Bee, Black Widow.. etc.)

Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate 5-25-111
Fuel-line attach to Cox prod. backplate 5-25-112

Note also the "pick-up". A separate short piece of alloy-tubing with a notch filed in the end. The notch assures fuel-flow and keeps the pick-up located where you want it. It can really help to keep the pick-up in position when re-assembling the tank to the backplate. This example shows an OEM spring internal to the fuel-line. I'll admit; I don't always include one.. but they were originally there for a purpose. My belief is that the spring can help to disperse air-bubbles.. and possibly augment the fuel-flow through capillary-action.. Laughing Yea.. I'll go with that theory..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 am

Your theory may be right Roddie. I thought the spring was there to internally stiffen the pickup line and prevent it from buckling when bent that would restrict the fuel flow.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:31 am

Since we're revisiting theories on fuel line ideas, here's the first video experiment I ever made. Forgive the cheesy dramatic prelude, it was my first time using WMM for editing video:

https://youtu.be/xyA6He9EX8c

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 am

Pretty cool vid Rusty! I know that you're partial to running bladders now.. but how'd this end up working on the Stuntman with that tank set-up? I'd like to build a Stuntman. I have one that my dad built. It's beyond practical-repair.. but I could copy it. Most of my designs are a tad large for the reed-valve engines.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down