Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox PT-19 Sure start tips Cox_ba12

Cox PT-19 Sure start tips Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox PT-19 Sure start tips Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox PT-19 Sure start tips

Go down

Cox PT-19 Sure start tips Empty Cox PT-19 Sure start tips

Post  jmendoza Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 pm

I wanted to post what I did to my Cox .049 Sure Start before flying it the PT-19.

First off I removed the engine from the firewall and backplate. Next I removed the prop, starter spring, glow-head with washer, and the piston/cylinder assembly. Then I cleaned and rinsed everything, even though it was new. Using some 600 grit wet-dry pare and 3-in-one oil, I lapped the back of the crankcase until it took on an even dull sheen all around the gasket sealing area and the burrs around the four screw holes disappeared. After that, the back of the case was wiped clean of the residue from lapping using a paper towel and a Q-tips, being careful to not let any of the grit into the case itself. A follow-up with rinse in model fuel was done to the case. The intake tube comes off by removing the needle valve, and the back of the intake tube is also lapped if it has any plastic burrs or flash; this operation insures a better seal of the intake tube to the opening of the carburetor. Re-assemble the piston and cylinder, install glow head and gasket, torque. A new crankcase gasket was fitted and the back plate was re-installed, carefully torque the screws in an X pattern, do this in 3 stages, to avoid warping. You can balance the prop at this time as well, and all mine took was a one inch strip of clear Scotch tape on the light blade. Mount the prop so it will dead stick horizontal. Once you put the needle valve back in , set it to 3 turns open.

Rotate the fuel tank so the pick-up in the bottom is towards the outside of the circle, it will increase the run time.

After the engine is back in the plane and ready to start, there is no need to prime it through the exhaust ports. Simply place you finger over the intake tube and flip the engine over one time by hand, don't use the spring starter or you will flood it. Next, connect the glow head clip and it should start right up with a flip or two on the spring starter.

This whole procedure insures your engine has proper crankcase sealing and is clean and free of any debris inside which will cause trouble. Be sure to use fuel which is 20% oil, and it should be castor oil. I use a blend of 80%castor, 20% synthetic, as it is readily available (Maxima 927, sold in motorcycle shops). 15 to 25% nitro works great.
jmendoza
jmendoza
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down