Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Cox_ba12

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 2:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 10:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 3:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 1:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:47 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 12:22 pm

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 11:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 9:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 7:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 6:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Empty
Live on Patrol

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes

Go down

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Empty How to repair the plastic on Cox planes

Post  jmendoza Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Many people have tried to repair the plastic on the Cox planes using a variety of glues, and techniques. One way is to drill holes and stitch the seams together using glue, as this add strength. I have found a product called Plastex which works great and uses a solvent which chemically welds the plastic back together. It comes with some powdered plastic to add to the repair if parts are missing or need re-enforcement. The filler plastic is available in white, clear, or black/grey, which is the strongest of the three. The solvent is actually an acrylic monomer, very stinky and probably toxic, so be careful. Like all repairs, your nee to remove all traces of oil. They also give you a piece of special rubber that can be used to replicate and mold parts. You simply place the rubber in boiling water and while it is soft, you push it onto a good part to make an impression of the part you are missing. Then after it cools, you put it in place on the broken part and fill in the missing areas with the plastic powder and solvent and let it cure, then peel off your rubber mold.....very slick and works great.

The stuff is available from motorcycle shops, used for repair to plastic body work, and you can find it online under Plastex

My PT-19 split from the nose to past the rear pilots cockpit, and two drops of the monomer solvent repaired it perfectly.

Jay Mendoza
jmendoza
jmendoza
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Empty Re: How to repair the plastic on Cox planes

Post  roddie Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:05 pm

More good stuff Jay! Thumbs Up Thank You! I'm fortunate to have two Cox C/L airplanes that are in reasonably good condition.. but if one breaks.. yours is a solution worth trying.

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Pt19-c10

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

How to repair the plastic on Cox planes Empty Re: How to repair the plastic on Cox planes

Post  577nitro Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:18 pm

jmendoza wrote:Many people have tried to repair the plastic on the Cox planes using a variety of glues, and techniques. One way is to drill holes and stitch the seams together using glue, as this add strength.   I have found a product called Plastex which works great and uses a solvent which chemically welds the plastic back together. It comes with some powdered plastic to add to the repair if parts are missing or need re-enforcement. The filler plastic is available in white, clear, or black/grey, which is the strongest of the three.   The solvent is actually an acrylic monomer, very stinky and probably toxic, so be careful. Like all repairs, your nee to remove all traces of oil.  They also give you a piece of special rubber that can be used to replicate and mold parts. You simply place the rubber in boiling water and while it is soft, you push it onto a good part to make an impression of the part you are missing. Then after it cools, you put it in place on the broken part and fill in the missing areas with the plastic powder and solvent and let it cure, then peel off your rubber mold.....very slick and works great.

The stuff is available from motorcycle shops, used for repair to plastic body work, and you can find it online under Plastex

My PT-19 split from the nose to past the rear pilots cockpit, and two drops of the monomer solvent repaired it perfectly.

Jay Mendoza

I use the stuff too, I've repaired both ABS plastic on my Vintage 80's bikes, and used it a number of times repairing cracks on my planes. Stuff is very strong.

Jason.
577nitro
577nitro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down