Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

At long last! (Flight Report) Cox_ba12

At long last! (Flight Report) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

At long last! (Flight Report) Empty
Live on Patrol

At long last! (Flight Report)

Go down

At long last! (Flight Report) Empty At long last! (Flight Report)

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 pm

The day has arrived. I finally flew my first full pattern. It just clicked and I went for it. Was it ugly? Yes some of it was, but pracicr makes perfect! I had been wanting to do a full pattern so bad. From this point on I am honing in on perfecting it. All the old hats told me I was good to go for intermediate. I am pretty happy today.

Used over a half gallon of 10/22 today and I finally flew my Saturn which sports a  wicked powerful Ro-Jett .61 and a 6oz tank. Dang thing actually hurt my arm and I had a death grip on the handle because I wasn't using a thong, was afraid it would slip out of my hand.

Here are a couple of pictures of today's lineup.

At long last! (Flight Report) Img_1412
At long last! (Flight Report) Img_1413
At long last! (Flight Report) Img_1414
At long last! (Flight Report) Img_1415
At long last! (Flight Report) Img_1416
At long last! (Flight Report) Img_1417

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

At long last! (Flight Report) Empty Re: At long last! (Flight Report)

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Congratulations At long last! (Flight Report) Download
It feels good, doesn't it. I hope it isn't long before you're mentally tallying how many flights in a row you'd get the pattern points for.

While you're learning to string those imaginary pattern points together, don't forget to practice hard on the free easy points that will carry you to early wins. That would be takeoffs and landings. Those might be the first stunts you score in the 30s on. A pair of 30s will give you a nice boost. I didn't try to develop mine early enough.
Here's a link to the AMA 2017 Rules detailing the maneuver procedures. I forget which chapter it's in.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2d4v9tr3fd1oiv/CLPrecisionAerobatics2017-2018.pdf?dl=0

If it asks for a log-in, IGNORE IT, and tap/click anywhere outside of that log-in nag screen and the document will open.

We had a... well, eclectic lineup at Huntersville today. And a LLLLLot of carnage. Not me though. Maidened the P-40 with two flights. Then the meeting started and my glasses were fouled with sweat droplets, eyes were stinging and my clothes were soaking wet, so I rolled 'em in.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:41 am

Very Cool Ron!!! Where was this? The "no-thong" thing made me cringe. I recently developed what I think is tendonitis in my right elbow. I get some tingling in my hand sometimes. I don't think I could sustain a 4-5 minute C/L flight with anything larger than a 1/2A model right now. I bought a brace which helps.. but the affliction has persisted for a couple of months. I believe I got it this-past early-Summer while doing vigorous disassembly-line work using a cordless-drill vertically while seated at a bench. Although that work has ceased to a large degree; doing a short-stint will soon aggravate it.. even when wearing the brace.

Is the Saturn the red #7 model?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:47 am

Rusty, thanks for that pdf. Very informative. I read a little last night.

So, tell me about the carnage! Must have all been on your guys end cause nothing happened here. I am probably the worst flyer of the bunch so if it does happen it's likely to be me. The guys I fly with all fall into the expert class, probably why nothing much ever happens. Although Larry Oakley lost his Thunderbird last week at a different site when his down line broke.

I am pretty pumped. The Clover was the last thing I had yet to attempt until yesterday. I feel kinda dumb for never attempting it before. It's just 4 loops with a wingover. The only tricky loop is the first outside as it's placement has to be correct so you don't do an inverted pancake. Once I made it through the first one I went ahead and did 3 more just to male sure I could do it again.

Woop! Still excited. Maybe Mark B. will up my status out of beginner now Smile I'll probably need video proof before that happens. Maybe nex time!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

roddie wrote:Very Cool Ron!!! Where was this? The "no-thong" thing made me cringe. I recently developed what I think is tendonitis in my right elbow. I get some tingling in my hand sometimes. I don't think I could sustain a 4-5 minute C/L flight with anything larger than a 1/2A model right now. I bought a brace which helps.. but the affliction has persisted for a couple of months. I believe I got it this-past early-Summer while doing vigorous disassembly-line work using a cordless-drill vertically while seated at a bench. Although that work has ceased to a large degree; doing a short-stint will soon aggravate it.. even when wearing the brace.

Is the Saturn the red #7 model?

They really need to come up with a better name than a "thong" maybe safety strap would be a better idea. Anyway the red #7 is the beasty. Flown in Harrah Oklahoma.

Funny you mention tendonitis, I have it in both elbows, been that way for several years. I felt it yesterday, thought the same thing about the brace, usually CL does not aggrevate it, but that .61 and heavy plane has twice the pull (if not more) than my usual .40 sized stuff.

I actually flew it using an old hot rock Shocked .018's for lines.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:15 am

Thumbs Up Beer Cheers cheers cheers cheers I am stoked for you too Ron , i was wondering what you were fling lately since wee not heard a lot from that end . That RO-Jett 61 is an impressive piece i must say ... http://rojett.net/ENGINES/61.htm I am guessing the planes with the Army Star on the inboard side are yours ? I guess if i were on Stunt Hangar more i would have known Shh sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:23 am

getback wrote:Thumbs Up Beer Cheers cheers cheers cheers  I am stoked for you too Ron , i was wondering what you were fling lately since wee not heard a lot from that end . That RO-Jett 61 is an impressive piece i must say ...  http://rojett.net/ENGINES/61.htm  I am guessing the planes with the Army Star on the inboard side are yours ? I guess if i were on Stunt Hangar more i would have known Shh sunny  

Thanks Eric, the Saturn (red with #7 on vert stab) and the all red full fuse job with the Twister wing is mine.

I don't post much on Stunthangar. I use that forum for info and to find stuff I need. Different crowd over there. I like you guys, more like family here.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:27 am

I'm so glad you're still jacked!  bounce  Very Happy Everyone needs to feel like that sometimes.
I call it a lanyard.
No-thong Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am

Read-em red Ron, you can't lose those two in flight. Beautiful models all but my eye went to the profile P-51 and the plane in the last picture. Looks like a Nobler fuselage? need a little help here?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks Bob,

That would be a "Smoothie" kitted by Veco at one time and is a Bob Palmer design. It shares many similarities with the Thunderbird which is also a Palmer design.

The Smoothie is aptly named considering how they fly.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:15 am

When your flying the clover, don't try and make it look like a clover in front of your. Say this in your head, inside, outside, outside , inside and out. On your first inside when you exit inverted, give your plane slight down elevator to get a little altitude for the next outside. If you do this in a contest, judges are really not going to penalize you for as they would rather see you complete the maneuver in it's entirety. As you progress, working on placing the maneuvers properly as far as height is concerned can be refined. Also remember that the maneuver is completed at the top of the circle on the exit.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:21 pm

That's exactly what I did, just ugly Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down