Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2017
Kim's

"Cox Conquest gets a Run-Up."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Buy a Cox! ... but, what exactly do you buy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Buy a Cox! ... but, what exactly do you buy?

Post  MauricioB on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:05 am

Hello, buy this engine from a friend, it's new and it looks beautiful, it's a Killer Bee, but some say it's a fake Killer Bee, however it's from Cox, all parts are from Cox.
I opened the engine and has a crankshaft that I was able to inform about is from 2002, while the "pear" crankshaft, it seems to be from the year 1996 .... who can tell me if this is a real Killer Bee? Shocked  Shocked
Thank you! Laughing

MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Buy a Cox! ... but, what exactly do you buy?

Post  MauricioB on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:28 am

After writing here at CEF, investigate on the web and I found this information:
https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_killer_bee.htm
It seems then that the engine I have is from Estes, and according to what I read in that article, it is a Babe Bee crankshaft, among other details like the flapper valve and the piston .... but it was sold at the time as Killer Bee! ... what conclusion should be left of this?...
I have a mixture of pieces with the appearance of a Killer Bee?!???
MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:33 am

Mauricio, your engine does seem to have the Killer Bee cylinder. It has the narrow exhaust ports AND sub-piston induction (SPI), and the lower ports are wider.

Can you see the by-pass ports inside the cylinder? I am not sure how they are supposed to look as I don't have a Killer Bee in my collection yet.

The backplate seems correct, there is no steel mesh on the intake.

I think it's a very nice looking engine, and the "correct" Killer Bee crankshaft is available as a reproduction, so you can make it "complete" if you want.
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:41 am

I have the Estes version of the Killer Bee which is not anodized gold. In addition, the red backplate to my knowledge was one indicator that the engine was to be .051 vs .049. However, the needle valve on your engine is not correct for the early Cox version as it has a knob and not the yellowish extension on it. The .051 piston for the Killer Bee had two grooves on it vs the Tee Dee which had one. The backplate also offered a larger intake opening vs stock backplates. The crank is what appears to be stock. Looking at your example though, I can only say you have a wonderful looking example and while some of the components may not be the early version, I certainly wouldn't be bashful in showing that one off. It looks great and I'm certain it will perform equally as well.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 am

KariFS wrote:Mauricio, your engine does seem to have the Killer Bee cylinder. It has the narrow exhaust ports AND sub-piston induction (SPI), and the lower ports are wider.

Can you see the by-pass ports inside the cylinder? I am not sure how they are supposed to look as I don't have a Killer Bee in my collection yet.

The backplate seems correct, there is no steel mesh on the intake.

I think it's a very nice looking engine, and the "correct" Killer Bee crankshaft is available as a reproduction, so you can make it "complete" if you want.

Many thanks Kari, here I put a picture of the inside of the cylinder, what do you think?
If I use this crankshaft, is there any appreciable difference with the alternative "pear" crankshaft?

MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 am

Ken Cook wrote:         I have the Estes version of the Killer Bee which is not anodized gold. In addition, the red backplate to my knowledge was one indicator that the engine was to be .051 vs .049. However, the needle valve on your engine is not correct for the early Cox version as it has a knob and not the yellowish extension on it. The .051 piston for the Killer Bee had two grooves on it vs the Tee Dee which had one. The backplate also offered a larger intake opening vs stock backplates. The crank is what appears to be stock. Looking at your example though, I can only say you have a wonderful looking example and while some of the components may not be the early version, I certainly wouldn't be bashful in showing that one off. It looks great and I'm certain it will perform equally as well.

Many thanks Ken for the information, here I put a photo of the piston, to be "common" does not have two slots, what do you think ??
I also leave the question I asked kari, what can you tell me?
If I use this crankshaft, is there any appreciable difference with the alternative "pear" crankshaft?

MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 pm

The idea behind the pear shaped crank is that it's lighter. Lighter mass is easier to turn thus more rpm's. I personally feel that stock Cox crankshafts are superior equally that is until they break. I have broken a few of them but not consistently. I have to say that engine just is good looking. I think your going to find it to be quite a reliable and powerful engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum