Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Accelerator accessory for .09
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:58 pm

» my other hobby
by Mark Boesen Today at 3:41 pm

» Reputation point changes!!!!!
by Mark Boesen Today at 2:25 pm

» Follow The World's Smallest Traveling Engine!
by Kim Today at 1:47 pm

» S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In 2018
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Diesel heads! turn the lathe!
by getback Today at 12:12 pm

» 1968 Cox Hobbies Catalog
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:00 pm

» My NOS plane collection
by Mark Boesen Today at 11:29 am

» P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..
by Oldenginerod Today at 6:51 am

» The postman came today
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 5:08 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

more field-box batteries..

Go down

more field-box batteries..

Post  roddie on Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm

I just love batteries... as long as they can still deliverer their rated capacity. Can't have enough of them.. Laughing As some of you know; my previous employer (as of this past week) contracts the recycling of obsolete electric waste... and took-in some high-end battery back-up chassis' which singly supplied power to an entire rack of computer-servers. These chassis contained six 6v cells wired in series (36VDC) into an inverter-circuit to output 220VAC for short-term uninterrupted emergency-power.. providing time to properly shut-down the rack and prevent the loss of data.

The units were "freshly-charged".. and primarily disconnecting the battery-circuit was imperative to prevent having an episode with getting "jolted" or inadvertently "arc-welding"...... Shocked

All batteries contained in various equipment are typically separated by type and sent to an R2-compliant recycling facility.. along with other materials that have been broken-down and separated into "commodities" of different metals/alloys, PC-boards, Copper-wire, Data-cable.. etc. There are at least 15 different materials that can be separated from obsolete/decommissioned IT systems for responsible (proper) recycling. It's a very good system.. and I felt proud to be working for a company that was helping to keep contaminants out of land-fills. The average life of these systems is currently 3-5 years.. at which point, most companies upgrade to newer/faster and more compact technology. It's a serious thing that needs to be acknowledged for a cleaner earth in years to come.

............. back on topic.. I scavenged six 6V sealed lead-acid batteries from one of the aforementioned chassis a few weeks ago.

They're much smaller than the 12V cells that I'd brought home a few months ago. I plan on putting them on a trickle-charge to keep them topped-off while in storage. I'll have to see whether my 6/12V trickle-charger will accomplish this with all of them wired together with a "parallel"-connection harness. It might work.. we'll see.

My future use for these batteries will be for connecting two in "series" to provide 12VDC power for my field-box panel primarily.. but also for testing.. and running small-load DC/AC inverters for certain applications in the event of a grid power-loss.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: more field-box batteries..

Post  fredvon4 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Roddie as You know from other posts ---I am OUT in the sticks and have a Lot of weather related power outages. Over the last 23 years I now have about 9 uninterruptible power supplies that usually come with 12Vdc 7Ah sealed lead acid batts

every 3 years or so I find the best price and free shipping and replace all of them...just this year $13 per 12vdc 9Ah batt

before serious model building I recycled all of them

Now I tend to hoard ( after cutting off the contacts) them as Building weights

And yes I first send each one to my very good charging station and pick the best to swap into my flight box

and I do get lucky on a few... BTW... all with a date bought, and date in service note on the side

and a last note... I have one or more here, over 6 years old, and so far no noticeable cracking or bulging...BUT! I do watch them cuz I never want to fubar a model with leaking acid

fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum