Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions?

Post  Cz10 Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 am

GermanBeez wrote:the thing with the venom was a joke Very Happy Very Happy
you should look at matt and bernie's custom engines which they sell in their shop. they sell
them for a very reasonable price and are quite pretty.
this one here even has a lightened piston:
http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17565&cat=256&page=2
but if you're looking for serious rpms, this one might just suit you:
http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=327&cat=37&page=1
that pretty much matches venom performance

I'd like to see some real test data on that engine.... It could be interesting.... Maybe close to a Medallion? I had a Medallion in the day (and just picked one up in a package deal) and I recall it ran fine and was happy with it until I got enough money to by a TD...
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Empty Re: I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions?

Post  nitroairplane Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 am

Cz10 wrote:
GermanBeez wrote:the thing with the venom was a joke Very Happy Very Happy
you should look at matt and bernie's custom engines which they sell in their shop. they sell
them for a very reasonable price and are quite pretty.
this one here even has a lightened piston:
http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17565&cat=256&page=2
but if you're looking for serious rpms, this one might just suit you:
http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=327&cat=37&page=1
that pretty much matches venom performance

I'd like to see some real test data on that engine.... It could be interesting.... Maybe close to a Medallion? I had a Medallion in the day (and just picked one up in a package deal) and I recall it ran fine and was happy with it until I got enough money to by a TD...

Apparently the Medallions flood easily.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:10 am

nitroairplane wrote:
Cz10 wrote:[

Apparently the Medallions flood easily.

True... Priming with the exhaust port closed seem to help. So did mounting the cylinder upright.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:59 am

I always mount my engines upright unless the model requires inverted mounting.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 am

Well, that doesn't work on beam mount profiles very well... I was flying CL.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:39 am

Cz10 wrote:Well, that doesn't work on beam mount profiles very well... I was flying CL.
i was talking about rc and free flight, i only own one CL plane and i have the cox .010 on it mounted sideways.
(i have not flown it because i cannot fly CL.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Empty More pulling power .....

Post  Laramie Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:09 pm

..... than a Black widow?

Hay, Rusty, you just handed me an openning! My suggestion is to try a McCoy Red Head, a .19 would be okay, but a .35 would be better! (LOL) Smile lol!

Laramie.
Laramie
Laramie
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:04 pm

I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 Lightbox

look at the top right that is the answer to your original question.
and i might try making one of those geared twins with 2 of my SS'
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Laramie wrote:..... than a Black widow?

Hay, Rusty, you just handed me an openning! My suggestion is to try a McCoy Red Head, a .19 would be okay, but a .35 would be better! (LOL) Smile lol!

Laramie.
Laramie! Welcome, glad you joined us at our fledgling forum. Biplane
Yeah, I wouldn't mind having some different engines. However, since Bernie claims the new style SPI system with the short piston will outrun the old #1 Black Widow setup, I ordered one of those. I'll know in a couple of weeks when Canadian mail crawls all the way to South Carolina. I also removed some weight so I hope it's back to the fun-to fly plane it was before I put the wedge tank on it and painted it. I think my pretty new paint job is what loaded it down. I took off the heavy wheels and added some super light foam wheels. I'm going to fly it this afternoon.
I need something with more pulling power than a Black Widow. Suggestions? - Page 2 SAM_0654

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Nice any chance of a video?
I am thinking of doing a coreflute CL planes to Learn on because it will be very strong.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:12 pm

When we lived in Minesota for a few years there was a guy (wish I could remember his name) who flew 1/2A and larger competition

He bought Cox 049 and 051 in lots of 30~50? I do not remember exactly how amy but it was a lot

Some of us kids ( I was in 7th grade) would spend all day saturday& Sunday helping him mount, prop, and fill each motor while he ran them and recored RPM data for each engine over three runs. I think he had an tachomenter that you stick a stiff wire into the spinning propeller (analog device)

Once he culled out the strongest new engines he would give each of us choice of one of the rejects

I remember a very large spread of variance in engine performance

Point of whole memorey it that there are strong and weak Cox engines

I had a BW that would horse a heavily doped bi plane around a circle real well and one BW that struggled with a very small and light weigth Jr Satan
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 pm

I know who you are talking about, a few eels ago most of his modified and stock tee dee .049 and .051 engine wre sold by a member of his family perhaps a son In law?
If ibfind a record if the listings i will post them on here.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:35 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Nice any chance of a video?
A video of me flying this plane? Yeah, you may have already seen it. This was taken before the paint job. The plane's name is Green Death, here it is, you can see it best at full screen:

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 am

The next step up from a Black Widow is the "Medallion .049" Noticeably more power than a Black Widow, and not as sensitive on the needle valve. Not as powerful as a Tee Dee but not as cantankerous either. A great little engine. Use a 6 x 4 prop and it will rip.

I wouldnt waste time with the Venom or a Venom clone. The Venom is a collectors engine, not meant to be run as the piston is faulty.

I built my own Venom to try out using the original specs from the original designers Paul Gibeault and Larry Renger and had a lot of "fun" trying to get it running right. The original Venom was designed for AMA Mouse Racing and was a Black Widow crankcase, tank, and backplate with a Killer Bee crankshaft, Tee Dee 049 cylinder, piston and high comp head. You needed to have 5 or 6 head shims in, high nitro fuel. ie 30% and a lot of patience.

When Larry designed the production Venom, someone got the instructions wrong and made the pistons too thin. The piston was meant to be lighter than a Tee Dee piston. The cylinder porting is deeper and superior to the Tee Dee, so if you can get a Tee Dee piston that has a nice fit in a Venom cylinder you will be close to the mark, but still not what the designers intended.

If you were thinking about a Tee Dee, then why not go a step further to a Norvel Big Mig 049. Great little engine, heaps more power than a Tee Dee and they scream. Will run a 5.7x3 APC at around 25,000 rpm on 15% nitro. If it's too fast you can prop it back to a 6x2 APC and it will fly slower but still rev at about 25K. They sound great!

See video of one here: White Lightning

Cheers
Warren

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:27 am

If you think a big mig .049 would work try an ame .049 they scream on tiny props wih lots of pitch pulling around 35000 rpm or bogey a shuriken .061 they have been reported to turn up to 50,000rpm.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2