Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

3.5 cc diesel needs needle valve - Page 2 Cox_ba12

3.5 cc diesel needs needle valve - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 10:59 am

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by roddie Today at 10:54 am

» How's the weather?
by rsv1cox Today at 10:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

3.5 cc diesel needs needle valve - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

3.5 cc diesel needs needle valve

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wanted Re: 3.5 cc diesel needs needle valve

Post  pkrankow Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 pm

A Fox slant head 15 NVA is about the correct span, but the diameter is too big at 0.156

The OS NVA previously linked has a minimum span of .523, with the same diameter of .156 as the Fox.  

A COX press fit NVA has a diameter on the knureled area of about .125with a difficult to measure span of around .310 (I measured a backplate with NVA)  Consider inspecting the hole for signs of a press fit.  Use a magnifying glass or loupe.

There is a concern over drilling out the intake for a larger NVA.  The choke area will be reduced which will change the operation of the engine from as-designed.  Reduce the choke area too much and the engine will not run well.

Yet without an NVA the engine cannot run at all...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:13 pm

http://brodak.com/brodak-049-and-061-spraybar-closeout.html
http://brodak.com/brodak-mk-ii-049-needle-valve-and-spring.html
I wonder if these might be more suited. I also wonder if they fit together. Brodak's is pretty accommodating so give them a call during business hours or fire off an email with your measurements.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  kendias Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks Phil. Tried Brodak, no luck, they don't have either the NVA or spray bar.
kendias
kendias
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Wanted start the 3.5 cc diesel

Post  kendias Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Did manage to get the needle valve/spray bar. Now want to try and start it.I guess I use ether and castor oil mix - in what proportion? Any tips on how to start?
kendias
kendias
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:32 pm

35% kerosene, 30% castor oil, 30% ether and a small percentage of ignition enhancer can assist. This mix is good for plain bushed engines.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  kendias Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks. Should the needle valve/spray bar assy be in the vertical pos'n or does it matter. Can I start it by hand or need a starter?
kendias
kendias
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 pm

kendias wrote:Thanks. Should the needle valve/spray bar assy be in the vertical pos'n or does it matter. Can I start it by hand or need a starter?

Orientation of the spray bar shouldn't effect performance other than setting tank hight to suit.

Most diesel folk strongly recommend not using a starter as it is way to easy to damage a diesel when flooded.  You'll need a strong arm, a well-padded/gloved finger and lots of patience.  

Don't try to start the engine with the needle open and don't prime it through the intake.  Raise the piston to close the exhaust and place a drip of fuel into the exhaust port just to wet the side of the piston.  Give it a couple of sharp flicks and see if you can get it to fire.  You're looking for a short run (2 seconds) rather than a single pop.  If it runs with a single drip prime then open the needle about 2 turns, prime and try again.  If it runs briefly like before, watch closely to see the fuel being drawn up the line.  If fuel continues to run all the way to the engine once it stops running then close the needle and lower the tank a little.  If it stops when the engine stops, then prime & try again.

If on the first try you only gert a single pop or nothing, you may need to raise the compression a little- only about 1/8 turn in should be enough.  You should still be able to turn it over fairly easily by hand.  If it strongly resists being turned over then be very careful.  Back the compression off a turn and start over.  Diesel's have a bad habit of sticking the cornta-piston, so when you back off the screw and turn it over it won't push back up.  Sometimes if this happens the engine needs to fire to free the contra-piston.  Over-compression is the biggest killer of diesel engines, and starting fingers.

Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  kendias Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks for the detailed instruction. What is a cornta piston?
kendias
kendias
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:28 am

kendias wrote:Thanks for the detailed instruction. What is a cornta piston?

The contra-piston fits into the top of the cylinder to form the top of the combustion chamber.  The compression screw on the top of the engine forces the contra-piston down, reducing the size of the combustion chamber thus increasing compression.  When the adjusting screw is loosened the contra-piston remains in position until compression forces it back up the cylinder until it contacts the adjusting screw.  They are a very tight fit in the cylinder and often stick.  If this happens you cannot lower the compression if you go too far with the compression adjusting screw.  If it remains stuck with the compression too high, then the connecting rod can be bent if you try to rotate the crankshaft, or the crank-pin can break.  As I mentioned, sometimes it actually takes the engine to fire to force the contra-piston up in the bore.  If it doesn't, your only option is to dismantle the engine and physically press the contra-piston up.  Varnish caused by castor oil makes a very good glue for sticking contra-pistons.  It may be a good idea to dismantle and thoroughly clean the engine.  If you are not confident in doing this yourself, I would seek out somone with diesel experience to help out.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2