Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
February-2019
balogh's

"Black Lynx .049 with a Throttle, Exhaust Deflector and Nelson-Galbreath head set"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


World of Aviation

shop light-std. fl. 40W

Go down

shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  roddie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:26 pm

The fluorescent fixture over my workbench is your run of the mill twin-tube 4-foot job. Only one tube lights.. The other tube will light if I rotate it "just right"... Rolling Eyes ... but it never stays lit. I've had it for years.. and it's never worked right. It was a "cheapie"...... Laughing but I figured that shouldn't matter. Apparently it does..

I believe that the problem lies in the socket-contacts. Is there a way to "tweak" them for improved continuity?

To quote Col. Frank Slade.. "I'm in the dark here..."

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6251
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  crankbndr on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Follow these instructions to the letter!!
1 pour a cup of water on the floor
2 take of shoes and socks
3 turn on light
4 take a screwdriver and carefully probe the terminals
5 when your done shaking go get a new shop light
crankbndr
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 2349
Join date : 2011-12-10
Location : Homestead FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  fredvon4 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Crank bender I am still giggling!

Roddie

Save the few bucks needed...wally world NEW LED 4' shop lites are cheaper and cheaper by the week

Highly recommended to move to LED!

My problem is shop(S) all have many long 2 tube 8' fixtures... each LED replacement tube is currently $59....down from $89 but still a big wad of cash for my 16 total tubes
fredvon4
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 2651
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 63
Location : Lampasas Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  dckrsn on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Roddie, just for the hell of it, check the ground(sounds familiar?).
For some reason, the old t-12 bulb fixtures act a little funny without it.
Usually the ballast grounds itself to the pan, and the cord, bx, or whatever
you use for power, grounds the pan. Maybe it shields the ballast. Had the
same problem with an 8' t-12 high output pan, and grounding took care of it.
As far as I know, the new t-8 hi efficiency pans don't rely on the ground.
Good luck.
Bob
You kill me, Crank!


Last edited by dckrsn on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 66
Location : Long Island, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  roddie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:32 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Roddie

Save the few bucks needed...wally world NEW LED 4' shop lites are cheaper and cheaper by the week

Highly recommended to move to LED!


Yes.. those are really nice.. My previous employer bought a few to mount under the shelves over our benches.. Then they decided to reduce clutter.. and removed the shelves and lamps.. Rolling Eyes A fellow employee asked what they were going to do with them.. and they said; "If you want them just take them.." So.. he got them. Mad
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6251
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  roddie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 pm

crankbndr wrote:Follow these instructions to the letter!!
1 pour a cup of water on the floor
2 take of shoes and socks
3 turn on light
4 take a screwdriver and carefully probe the terminals
5 when your done shaking go get a new shop light

The way things are going lately Doug.. that might be a good idea. Laughing Step #4 should be performed with a more "conductive" tool though. Something like a "pick" that you use to dig walnuts out of their shell. Actually... I have plenty of piano-wire scraps handy!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6251
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  crankbndr on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:51 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Crank bender I am still giggling!

Roddie

Save the few bucks needed...wally world NEW LED 4' shop lites are cheaper and cheaper by the week

Highly recommended to move to LED!

My problem is shop(S) all have many long 2 tube 8' fixtures... each LED replacement tube is currently $59....down from $89 but still a big wad of cash for my 16 total tubes



Interesting, I didn't know you could get LED tubes, they need no ballast also. Do they last long time like other LEDs. I replaced all my outdoor flood lighting with LED (10 bulbs) and they do the job, harsh bright light and claim 20 year life, we will see. They are plastic and don't think plastic will last that long.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 2349
Join date : 2011-12-10
Location : Homestead FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  crankbndr on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

roddie wrote:
crankbndr wrote:Follow these instructions to the letter!!
1 pour a cup of water on the floor
2 take of shoes and socks
3 turn on light
4 take a screwdriver and carefully probe the terminals
5 when your done shaking go get a new shop light

The way things are going lately Doug.. that might be a good idea. Laughing Step #4 should be performed with a more "conductive" tool though. Something like a "pick" that you use to dig walnuts out of their shell. Actually... I have plenty of piano-wire scraps handy!


I was just funnin with ya, I’ve had one too pain pills today.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 2349
Join date : 2011-12-10
Location : Homestead FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  roddie on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:24 pm

dckrsn wrote:Roddie, just for the hell of it, check the ground(sounds familiar?).
For some reason, the old t-12 bulb fixtures act a little funny without it.
Usually the ballast grounds itself to the pan, and the cord, bx, or whatever
you use for power, grounds the pan. Maybe it shields the ballast. Had the
same problem with an 8' t-12 high output pan, and grounding took care of it.
As far as I know, the new t-8 hi efficiency pans don't rely on the ground.
Good luck.
Bob
You kill me, Crank!

Ground.... Huh... you mean like coffee-grounds? Laughing Truth be known; I don't like messing with things that I can't see.. which can kill me.. Laughing Actually; I've re-wired table-lamps.. and replaced switches in ceiling-fans.. but that's about as brave as I get.

The fixture has a 3-wire cord.. and is plugged into a grounded receptacle. Outside of that; I wouldn't know what to look for. I do have some CRC-brand dielectric grease that I thought might help, if applied to the lamps' pins..


roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6251
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  dckrsn on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:39 pm

roddie wrote:
The fixture has a 3-wire cord.. and is plugged into a grounded receptacle. Outside of that; I wouldn't know what to look for. I do have some CRC-brand dielectric grease that I thought might help, if applied to the lamps' pins..
Sounds like the ground is good. "Never mind"
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 66
Location : Long Island, New York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Clean the copper contacts with some 1000 grit. Bulb pins also. If the ballast was made in China, go get a new fixture.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 10187
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 44
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: shop light-std. fl. 40W

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum