Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF Honors All Who Served Cox_ba12

CEF Honors All Who Served Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF Honors All Who Served Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF Honors All Who Served

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CEF Honors All Who Served Empty CEF Honors All Who Served

Post  Admin Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:11 am

CEF Honors All Who Served Vets_d10

The Cox Engine Forum wishes a Happy Veterans Day to all of our veterans, past and present and those of you who are still serving. Thank you for serving our country and protecting our freedoms. This also goes out to all who served in allied forces.

Vets Day Thank You!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

CEF Honors All Who Served Empty Re: CEF Honors All Who Served

Post  getback Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:44 am

CEF Honors All Who Served D4dcde10
CEF Honors All Who Served Dodaa110    Thank You for your Service to protect!  Vets Day
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:04 pm

We remember here in Australia as well.
CEF Honors All Who Served Connau10
November 11st is our Remembrance day.  Pictured is a Flanders Poppy, symbol of the sacrifice by Aussie (and British) soldiers in Belgium & France in WW1.

Last edited by Oldenginerod on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Here here on that one! Vets Day

Served Proudly:
- USAF 433rd 2nd Civil Engineering Squadron
- Operation Desert Storm and Desert Shield

Father USAF / RIP
- Vietnam War

Grandfather British RAF / RIP
- WWII

CEF Honors All Who Served 20170610

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:56 pm

getback wrote:CEF Honors All Who Served D4dcde10

That Child ... is an incredible image friend ...
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:31 am

The armistice was signed on 11 november 1918 in the forest at Rethonde near Compiègne. It's a 3 hour's drive from where I live.  Being a national Holiday in France as is  8 May, the armistice is celebrated in Paris and in every village in France. I made this video 2 years ago of the célébrations in my village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMjFmJloc4

I personally have a WWI souvenir. It's an (empty) British 18 pounder shrapnell bomb. The fuse is in very good condition and the rings still turn. To be efficient, the bomb should open at 6 meters above the ground. The artillery had to set the amount of seconds for the bomb to explode after it was shot.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:37 am

Some pictures of the 100 year old 18 pounder shrapnell round:

CEF Honors All Who Served Imgp0915

CEF Honors All Who Served Imgp0916

CEF Honors All Who Served Imgp0914
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:28 am

Today, at 11.00h, WW1 ended 100 years ago. The region where I live was not occupied during WW1. But there are cemitaries with soldiers who died in the many hospitals from being wounded or from deseases.

Near Rouen, 11.436 Commonwealth soldiers are burried.

CEF Honors All Who Served Pb110610

Many of them died in the Anglo Belgian hospital in Rouen.

At 11.00h I was at the country side in St Hellier, a village with 400 inhabitants between Rouen and Dieppe. During the war, a hospital, depending of the Anglo Belgian hospital was located there. In the graveyard of the nearby chapel, 3 Belgian soldiers are burried. 1 died in May 1918 of pneumonia and the 2 others died of the Spanish flu in Octobre 1918.

CEF Honors All Who Served Pb110611

The hospital building is in the background on the left of the picture above.

CEF Honors All Who Served Pb110612

CEF Honors All Who Served Pb110613CEF Honors All Who Served Schiep10

CEF Honors All Who Served Pb110614

CEF Honors All Who Served Pb110615
CEF Honors All Who Served Merten10

Julien Verbanck spent more than 3 years on the front and was decorated posthumously with the war cross.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am

It's a sad thought that The War to End All Wars didn't.

Thank you to all who served.  Welcome Home Boys!

David Phelps
CW2 US Army (ret)
Gun Platoon
D Troop 1/9 Cavalry, 1st Cav Div
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Dave P
My armament guys supported you if 1979 to 1994

I was 1 Cav three times in 227th AVIM
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Happy Veterans Day!

Vets Day  To all who served their country and to family that endured.  Vets Day

CEF Honors All Who Served Blog-210

CEF Honors All Who Served Patrio10

CEF Honors All Who Served 12080710

Served Proudly:
- USAF 433rd 2nd Civil Engineering Squadron
- Operation Desert Storm and Desert Shield

Father USAF / RIP
- Vietnam War

Grandfather British RAF / RIP
- WWII

Beer Cheers
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:52 pm

The October issue of The Smithsonian features an article The end of the line - A hundred years ago "The war to end all wars" came to a bloody conclusion, a journey along the Western Front today reveals the poignant battle between remembering and forgetting."

Page after page takes the reader from the beginning to the end of the conflict. Too much to relate here, but it seems the Generals on both sides took great pleasure in blowing up the rank and file. The days of monarchies and aristocrats. Hopefully society has matured beyond that point.

Maybe WW2 finally ended "World Wars." The A bomb, our enemy and our friend.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Vets Day Vets Day Vets Day Vets Day THANK YOU GUYS AND GALS !!! Flying
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

CEF Honors All Who Served Empty RE: CEF honors all who served today

Post  66 Malibu Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Honestly, I always feel proud of standing at church today with other veterans but I always remember our many family members from 1861 to the recent past that put it all on the line.
They served in places like Chickamauga, Argonne, Okinawa, Ploesti, The Bulge, Berlin, Chosin Reservoir, DaNang, Tuy Huy, and most recently, at a rock pile in Afganistan with a name no one could pronounce but went BOOM all night long !!
Those put their A$$ on the line when called and  that really makes me proud !!
That's as REAL as it gets !!!
Godspeed, Steve..
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:35 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Dave P
My armament guys supported you if 1979 to 1994

I was 1 Cav three times in 227th AVIM

Well we most definitely crossed paths then Fred.  I was Armament Officer from 81 to 83.  You guys in 227 were on the other side of the parking lot from our hootch.  Those were tough days at Hood AAF.  We called it the Fort Hood Flying Club because all we could do was put in flight time.   Out of nine Cobras we couldn't get one bird to fire everything for love or money.  One might have a good minigun and rockets but no-go on chunker or TOW.  Another would be good on the 40, but no minigun or rockets.  None of them ever had all three radios working at the same time.    Took three years of Reagan budgets to get most of the birds working at 80%.  Plenty of $200 toilet seats and hammers around but we couldn't get decent fire controls or radios to save our lives.
Live fire exercises were interesting to say the least.  

All that said, If we'd been called into battle, I guarantee we'd have gotten steel on target and spread death and destruction in a manner that would have made our forerunners proud.  No doubt in my military mind.  Desert Storm proved it.

Thanks for your help getting rounds down range Fred.  We really needed it.

You might remember me, I was the joker flying the Schluter Heliboy on the 1/9 flight line, endangering all those hangers and helicopters.  Got a big crowd every time I cranked it up until the MPs finally shut me down.  Fun times!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 am

Congrats to those who served, and thanks Jacob for the kind recognition. I came from a slightly different background, was a 02J Clarinet Player with 02L Saxophone secondary, serving with the 264th Army Band, Fort Shafter, Honolulu, HI that was deactivated in Fall 1974, then with the 25th Infantry Division in '74 - '75. Did the rest with Reserves, now collecting retirement.

This was my rank while on active duty. By the grace of the Lord, made E-5 in 22 months (2nd Corinthians 9:6,7).

CEF Honors All Who Served Enlist10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 pm

Sounds like tough duty George.  All those locals and their grass skirts and leis must have been a real challenge!

Kidding aside, my high school sweetheart did 24 years in the Army Chorus.  She may not have spent a lot of time sleeping in a GP Tiny tent with a 3 hour air mattress, but she did a lot of time traveling in less than comfortable conditions and many months of TDY.  Like every MOS (military occupational specialty), it really was tough duty when you come right down to it.

If you can still play Garryowen and Yellow Rose of Texas by heart you're my hero!  

Thank you for your service and Welcome Home!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Dave P. wrote:Sounds like tough duty George.  All those locals and their grass skirts and leis must have been a real challenge!

Dave, I lived in Hawaii 17 years, went to junior high and high there, after my several year stint with the Army, also got a bachelors at the U, so to me it wasn't viewed as a vacation paradise, it was home for a time. The Army changed that and my relationship with the Lord.

Kidding aside, my high school sweetheart did 24 years in the Army Chorus. She may not have spent a lot of time sleeping in a GP Tiny tent with a 3 hour air mattress, but she did a lot of time traveling in less than comfortable conditions and many months of TDY.
When I was in, knew not of such a unit, but then was she in an exclusive unit in DC? The band's idea of bivouac is the Fairfield Inn. Beer Cheers

Like every MOS (military occupational specialty), it really was tough duty when you come right down to it.
Those who asked, I would tell them, "It's a tough job but someone has to do it." lol!

If you can still play Garry Owen and Yellow Rose of Texas by heart you're my hero!
Played those quite a bit at the 25th. Can also play the ADA March (111th Brigade). We (25th ID Band) even played Happy Birthday early one morning in front of MG Brooks, Commander of the 25th in front of his quarters. He had a young captain inspect our 3 mile daily run one morning. Jack, our supply sergeant and run NCO quietly passed around us, "we'll pick up the speed a little." At the end of the run, we had that captain huffing and puffing. After that, we never saw anyone come to inspect our run again.

Thank you for your service and Welcome Home!
And thank you for your service, Dave, and to all the rest. Vets Day
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Dave I was the Armament Platoon Sergeant in Delta Co 227th 1 Cav from late 79 to mid 83 then off to 66J school at Ft Eustice...then off to 8th Id Mainz Finthen and the 55th TAMC

There is no doubt in those Twin Quansut Hangers on "our side" of the airfield we worked on many 9th cav birds

I seem to remember on YOUR side was a nutty Bird Colonel that every so often demanded a FLY BY for the BMO to prove the status report

Seems most were G model Cobras...memory sketchy..Early 83 I was part of the team that went to CCAD and brought 21 snakes back up to Fort Hood as part of the swap out in USAREUR for FMC Cobras...all I flew back to hood were very badly maintained Mod S birds

BTW that is unit I met E-5 Rowena...QC section 67N20...proposed a permanent relationship, and 35 years later still arguing with each other....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 pm

See, it's you guys that I admire and deserve the accolades dispensed out on "Veterans Day" by a grateful public.

Me, not so much. My MOS if I can use an Army term was easy duty sleeping Stateside almost every night with wife and family. 20 years, no sea duty and little stress. A total of 1300 of us (at max strength) trained Naval Aviators in a variety of specialties and sent them off to war and other places.

The closest I ever got to danger was during the Cuban Missile crisis while stationed at Jacksonville NAS. Port and starboard duty every other night I had to instruct the kids in the proper use of the .45 and send them out marching heel and toe guarding the nuke compound. One kid didn't get the message though, not on my night and sent several rounds down range disturbing a whole lot of people. Tragically while in custody he suffered a heart attack and died the following week. A true story.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:53 pm

fredvon4 wrote:

I seem to remember on YOUR side was a nutty Bird Colonel that every so often demanded a FLY BY for the BMO to prove the status report

Seems most were G model Cobras...memory sketchy..Early 83 I was part of the team that went to CCAD and brought 21 snakes back up to Fort Hood as part of the swap out in USAREUR for FMC Cobras...all I flew back to hood were very badly maintained Mod S birds

BTW that is unit I met E-5 Rowena...QC section 67N20...proposed a permanent relationship, and 35 years later still arguing with each other....grin

D Troop 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry was the Air Cav unit depicted in "Apocalypse Now". The 9th Cavalry was actually an armored unit.  D Troop was the only air attack asset in the 1st Cavalry Division.  So when we got a new squadron commander, he was always a ground pounder non-aviator armor officer, usually a new bird colonel looking to earn his first star

The squadron's job was to act as the eyes and ears of the division, with our job to be out front and use hunter/killer teams to recon forward battle areas, find and then kill the bad guys.  New Tankers weren't always happy about our  role as the leading edge out in front of his tanks and it always took a few months to break in a new commander.  

That particular officer was big time gung hoa and was bound and determined to teach us undisciplined, arrogant, Stetson wearing, heavy drinking, back talking aviators a thing or two about how "this man's Army" worked.  At the same time he was a bit intimidated by our history and capabilities, which really were pretty impressive.  Especially with his first exposure to night gunnery which only served to add to his need to assert his authority.

The particular display you referred to was his attempt at showing us how to run the flight line like a motor pool.  His non-aviation, non-cavalry way of channeling Robert Duvall's "I love the smell of napalm in the morning..." speech. We just rolled our eyes and continued to do whatever the heck we wanted to do.  Eventually we won him over with a good cigar, a healthy dose of good scotch and a few trips downrange with a load of rockets and minigun ammo.  

After that he was all "Charge of the Valkeries", Garryowen Air Attack Cavalry.  Stetson, saber, spurs. zoom bag (one piece Nomex flight suit) and all.  We even invited him to officiate the D Troop Officer's Dining In, a ceremony (followed by a party worthy of the tradition it celebrates) in which the unit's 150 year history is recounted and the battles, exploits and daring deeds in which it's members participated and the high price our forerunners paid are remembered, which he did exceptionally well.  A party to be remembered.  Well some of us have some gaps...

Our aircraft were consecutivly numbered 1977 AH-1S Production models, with an M-134 minigun and 40mm grenade launcher in the turret and 19 round rocket pods and TOW missiles on the wing stores.  We had a couple with 20mm cannons on the wings for a while but they tended to shake the ammo bay doors loose so we scrapped them.

So you married a TI huh?  Bet you don't win many of those arguments, do ya?  Nobody I know has ever won an argument with a TI.  They got the manual.  And a big ol' torque wrench they call "the crew chief realignment tool".

Last edited by Dave P. on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added details of the Dining In)
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Sorry about the acronym.  TI is Technical Inspector.  They check all the work done on an aircraft before it is cleared for flight.  Lives literally depend on the quality of their work.  As a result, their word is law.  You can argue with a a TI, but you can't win.  Unless they want you to.  Right Fred?
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Dave P. wrote:Sorry about the acronym.  TI is Technical Inspector.  They check all the work done on an aircraft before it is cleared for flight.  Lives literally depend on the quality of their work.  As a result, their word is law.  You can argue with a a TI, but you can't win.  Unless they want you to.  Right Fred?

I don't know about the others, but I knew what you were talking about, Dave. In 1979, I joined the Hawaii Army National Guard (HiArNG). Jan. 1980, I spent 4 months at Ft. Rucker, AL in the 67N Helicopter Repair Course. There, I learned that lockwire was done 8 to 10 twists per inch. The "bible" was the TM's (technical manuals) along with the TO's (tech orders), TB's (tech bulletins) and etc. Made honor graduate, missed distinguished by only a small margin.

Don't know about the active duty TI's, but with the Guard TI's, who were also full time civil service wearing uniforms, if I could show from the manual my justification for doing things a certain way was the trick for their acceptance.

As luck would have it, seems the only thing consistent with the Army is change, the Reserve and the Guard not excepted. 2 years later, they combined my 293rd Service Company with the Calv (OH-58's and AH-1's) as the new 1293rd Combat Support Aviation Company (Transportation). They transferred our company commander and first sergeant out, there was unusual preference for the Calv NCO's and crew members over our unit. Guard politics got really heavy, more than 9 of us (including me) could handle. I was a college student and didn't need need the hassle. 8 transferred to the Air National Guard. I transferred to the 111th Army Band (Guard).

I did more flying with the 111th during the last 4 months before I graduated from college, than I did with that aviation unit for 2 years. We went to all the outer islands from Oahu and did their respective Aloha Day parades and ceremonies. (Each island celebrates it on a different day.)

Then moved to California to work for McDonnell Douglas, transferred to the 300th Army Band (Reserve) in Bell, CA (East LA area). Been in and out of different units due to moves from job changes through the years, some with field units (ADA, Heli Ambulance, transportation, etc.)

The funniest thing, I heard a few NM Guard band members complain about accommodations at Roswell NM reserve center lodging, where we had to pay (but were reimbursed), given bedding and made beds, sleeping in individual rooms with true air conditioning during the heat of summer with cable TV and phone. Wasn't the Fairfield Inn but I slept well and content. Little did they know what it was like to sleep underneath the stars beneath a Deuce and a Half tailgate or next to a Chaparral with a little rain going on (deluxe field accommodations).

No, I can't say that I really had a "true" field experience like the active duty has, but little did these whiny band members know that having a cot to sleep on in the armory is truly having it good to other Guard members.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:45 am

As a card carrying dyed in the wool conservative, I watch a lot of very liberal PBS (Public Broadcasting System) programming.  A place I run to when the politics of the day gets over-whelming.  Which, BTW is every day.

Last year they started a new series titled "We'll meet again."  From their website:

"We'll Meet Again" explores some of history's most dramatic events and reunites people who had been separated by them. Hosted by Ann Curry, the series features personal stories of ordinary men and women who lived through extraordinary moments in history, from war to terrorism.

They started a new season last night and featured stories of two Vietnam veterans one about a group of soldiers downed in Cambodia and rescued unplanned by a Chinook pilot who happened to be in the area.  Yeah, a Chinook dumping that huge piece of metal into a jungle clearing dropping the rear while taking fire and rescuing the whole bunch.  The other, a payroll clerk wounded in the leg while taking target practice.  

The Captain in charge of the downed soldiers put the helo pilot in for a DFC and never saw him again until this program brought them together.

The wounded private reunited with the doctor that saved his life by removing an artery from his good leg and transplanting it into his damaged leg.  

PBS generally re-broadcasts their special programs a few times over the following days.  If your interested, check your local listings.  

Bob

Edit add:

WHEN TO WATCH
We'll Meet Again
Local Station: WETA
Change Station
Saved in Vietnam
Two Vietnam veterans search for the heroes who saved them; an Army officer searches for the helicopter pilot who rescued him; a soldier wants to reconnect with the surgeon who saved his leg from amputation.
WEDNESDAY
November 14
9:00 AM NT
WETA HDTV
60 min
WEDNESDAY
November 14
3:00 PM NT
WETA TV
60 min
WEDNESDAY
November 14
3:00 PM NT
WETA
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:23 am

rsv1cox wrote:As a card carrying dyed in the wool conservative, I watch a lot of very liberal PBS (Public Broadcasting System) programming. A place I run to when the politics of the day gets over-whelming. Which, BTW is every day.

Yup, got to agree Bob, there's a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt - a Microsoft term for their propaganda campaign against other software companies) being sown. I no longer watch NFL, and I minimize my time on TV except for the occasional historical documentation episodes. The ones I really like to watch regard aircraft and cars, woodworking, music shows, clean humor, and etc. Most of the time I'm watching YouTube videos of these.

I don't pay attention to PBS news. Odd, I find RT (Russia Today) more informative than out liberal mainstream media (MSM). Lately, I've found the MSM's boasts of "newsworthy" coverage an empty one.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next