Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox International Diesel
by MBT85 Today at 3:38 am

» Mattel's Hot Wheels fans, a heads-up
by Davenz13 Today at 12:46 am

» WOW They came!!!!
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 11:46 pm

» coping plans
by Dave P. Yesterday at 11:45 pm

» QRC Style Muffler
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Large Cox Parts Lot
by batjac Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» Got it!............... :)
by NEW222 Yesterday at 6:31 pm

» "Birth of the Pee Wee" Product Ad and Engine Review Model Airplane News February 1958
by NEW222 Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Action van disks
by Liquidice Yesterday at 5:32 pm

» Look what followed me home
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:56 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2018
1/2A Nut's

"Speedy Teedy .020"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Yet Another Impromptu Run to the National Model Aviation Museum in Muncie, Indiana

Go down

Yet Another Impromptu Run to the National Model Aviation Museum in Muncie, Indiana

Post  Kim on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:16 am

Seems like whenever the van gets an oil change, I'm just purely bothered by the need to break-in it's new pan of dinosaur juice 'till I surrender and run it in with a road trip.

So, with 5 days away from any obligation or promises, I decided to make a solo run to that Model Airplane Valhalla out in the wilds of Indiana, the National Model Aviation Museum outside Muncie, Indiana.

The truly crumby weather that followed me gave a museum almost totally to myself...save for one other True Believer, and a lonesome guy that was determined for me hear all about his vast experience in just about everything, and how generally stupid so many modelers are.  

I finally broke away after running through of my standard batch of, "mmm, that's cool", "well, really?", "yeah, that's something"'s, and ducked into and among the Gift Shop's shelving.

One of the moving forces for this trip was to again see Maynard Hill's Trans-Atlantic Model, named "Spirit of Butt's Farm" for the land owner who allowed the plane to be launched from his property.  
Mr. Hill is another of my Heroes, and since I was 13 years old, I've been captivated by his various World Record-setting flights, collecting and now scanning articles and ads featuring him and his planes.  

The last time I was here, I wasn't feeling well, and just took a batch of photos before retreating to the van.  This time, I took a bunch more photos, including the mock-up equipment display that I totally missed before.

I'm a little disappointed that Mr. Hill's model is not allowed it's own booth out on the floor, but maybe this is in the works.  I was honored to receive a reply to what was probably a slightly gushing 'Fan Letter' I'd sent following the Trans-Atlantic Flight:

Anyway, here are some of the photos and videos I sorted during the down hours in my camper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KEIq76JE7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q20uRLcvKjM

Last edited by Kim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yet Another Impromptu Run to the National Model Aviation Museum in Muncie, Indiana

Post  rsv1cox on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:15 am

I enjoyed another Kim inspired pictorial.

Got a kick out of all but especially the first Flying Models cover. Reminded me of your encounter with the "Lonesome Guy" with you stuck in the middle. Smile
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yet Another Impromptu Run to the National Model Aviation Museum in Muncie, Indiana

Post  Marleysky on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:35 am

Whooo, that looks like one of those places (I) we, you could go to multiple times, and still see something ya missed on previous visits! Nice to have the place almost to your self! Did you try talking to that stiff looking guy guarding the cash register? Bet he would’nt  sell you any of those kits on display behind him!  That’s a really cool video of the TAM-5 landing, I felt the excitement of those people as the plane came into view, Wow. Besides having a hand written note from Mr Hill, you ROCK! RC Plane

Thanks for posting and sharing your trip with us!
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm

I really enjoy Kim's grand adventures

He photo essays many places that I will never go to see in person

and does a great job of making it relevant to many of our differing interests

Thanks Kim
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks for your notes Guys!

I truly appreciate them !!!

Last edited by Kim on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Marleysky wrote:Whooo, that looks like one of those places (I) we, you could go to multiple times, and still see something ya missed on previous visits!  

It's true!  I have a problem with what I call 'Display Blindness' from trying to read the volume of signs that accompany the planes.  When I look up from them, I can have a tough time focusing back out.  It can get REALLY bad at the Air Force Museum, where there is TRULY too much for me to absorb without a 4-day stint.
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Outstanding visit....thanks for sharing.
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm

xplaneguy wrote:Outstanding visit....thanks for sharing.

Thank you Tony !!
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Echoing Fred's thoughts somewhat, you do take us to places we
may never see. I thank you for that, Kim, again and again.
Bob
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 am

Road Trip !! Man you do and go to more places of interest than anyone i know , Looks like a lot of interesting things to take in . Thanks for taking use with you and the enjoyment of the pictures !! You ROCK DUDE ! sunny
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 am

Hey Kim, here I am again and I discovered this post of yours, beautiful travel ... I love that place ... makes the imagination really fly! how much history there!
by the way Kim ... this picture is great and at the same time disturbing, making one imagine ... mmm reminds me of that movie: "" House of Wax ""

affraid Very Happy

MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:21 am

MauricioB wrote:Hey Kim, here I am again and I discovered this post of yours, beautiful travel ... I love that place ... makes the imagination really fly! how much history there!
by the way Kim ... this picture is great and at the same time disturbing, making one imagine ... mmm reminds me of that movie: "" House of Wax ""

I agree Mauricio !! I even adapted it for a post on the Breezy Hill Flyers Facebook Page !!!

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey Kim, We almost dragged the camper there last weekend but the weather wasn't great. We live less then 2 hours from there. Im going to try to make it there this summer for some flying
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Seems to be missing a couple of Gilberts and several million hours of flying time.

Bob
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:05 am

rsv1cox wrote:Seems to be missing a couple of Gilberts and several million hours of flying time.  

Bob

HAA! Yeah, the covering seems to be in shamefully great shape also !!!!

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 am

akjgardner wrote:Hey Kim, We almost dragged the camper there last weekend but the weather wasn't great. We  live less then 2 hours from there. Im going to try to make it there this summer for some flying

Maybe someday, a bunch of us could meet there for some flying!

The weather WAS pretty raw on Saturday, and I got fairly cold and soaked trying to set up the camper, only to find that the outlet I chose had no power, making me think that maybe the whole grid was down because of the flooding. The wind also changed direction and increased in gusts and speed.

During a lull, I set up my generator, took some photos, and on chance, checked another outlet to find it had power! So, the whole rig got relocated, and pointed into the wind, and I had a good warm night out there all by myself.

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:45 am

Kim, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! The two vids of Mr. Hill's Trans-Atlantic "Tam-5" model-flight were fascinating!
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 am

roddie wrote:Kim, Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! The two vids of Mr. Hill's Trans-Atlantic "Tam-5" model-flight were fascinating!

You're welcome Roddie!
The guy's a long-time hero for me!

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down