Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... Cox_ba12

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... Empty
Live on Patrol

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois...

Go down

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... Empty And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois...

Post  Kim Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm

"And", you may ask, "What the heck is in Newton, Illinois?"

The airplane nerds all know: Newton is the burial place and memorial to Lowell Bayles, whose death in his Gee Bee Z Model Racer* was filmed as he attempted a world speed record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UmmeWVAt6A

Newton is somewhat off the beaten path, but seeing it was only 30 something miles off I-70 as I wandered toward home, I had another 'Why not?" moment, and took an exit.  Found City Hall pretty quickly---Newton is small enough for THAT to be fairly easy---but the girls there had only a vague idea of Mr. Bayles or his connection with the city.

They DID give me the number of a fellow named Brad, who quickly steered me to Lowell Bayles' burial location in a small mausoleum, built in 1928.  Brad said that this wasn't the original location for Bayles' remains...a local pilot/contractor had his remains relocated there after a refurbishment of the building.

The Town Square also features a nice memorial for Bayles.  I forgot to ask Brad, but I'm betting the same pilot/contractor is responsible for that too.

So, more airplane nerd stuff...

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 0_11

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 1_17

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 2_23

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 3_16

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 4_12

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 5_12

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 6_14

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 7_13

Also, there's great State Park called 'Sam Carr' just outside of town, with camper pads and ELECTRICITY !!!!

Charging everything Kim

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... 8_12

*  Corrected from originally stated that it was an R-4.

Last edited by Kim on Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... Empty Re: And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois...

Post  MauricioB Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 am

Kim, it is difficult for you to understand how important this information is that you turn over here, I am always looking at events, history, etc., all related to aviation, aeromodelling ... basically with everything that flies ... I have seen that video and be impressed. Always ask me what happened? ... and what you can see is the structural failure of the airplane splitting the wing and taking a very valuable life .... Now, thanks to you, I know a little more about the history of this pilot, who, from this part of the world, I respect and admire those people who risk their lives trying to go a little further and thanks to that sacrifice and (unfortunately human loss), we could move forward and learn a little more in the development of high-speed flying machines.
Thanks again Kim ... see those pictures of the place, fill me with nostalgia ... a hug for you !.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois... Empty Re: And Now, Parked in Newton, Illinois...

Post  Kim Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:53 am

Thanks to You, Mauricio, my Friend  !!

Like so many other fans of aviation, you and I never tire of finding new information, or just making an effort to acquire knowledge of the past.  I'm lucky to have friends of the same persuasion.

Best Wishes, Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 am

I never understood how that thing ever flew. All engine/fuselage little wing. Jimmy Doolittle flew it too.

Looks like he lost it in straight and level flight. "Structural failure" such a shame at 31 years old.

Thanks for sharing and I envy you your wanderlust. Maybe some day I will hitch my MX-5 or MG Midget to your rear bumper and follow you around. Smile My ever nearing bucket list.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:27 am

rsv1cox wrote:

Thanks for sharing and I envy you your wanderlust.  Maybe some day I will hitch my MX-5 or MG Midget to your rear bumper and follow you around.  Smile  My ever nearing bucket list.  

Bob

Thank you Bob!  Tony is going to retire at some point and cut loose also--maybe we could start a Wandering Model Airplane Caravan !!!!!!

We could be The Castor Oil Outlaws---getting kicked out of RV Parks for running engines we rebuilt on the road!!!

Sundance Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:37 am

Smile Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Kim wrote:
We could be The Castor Oil Outlaws---getting kicked out of RV Parks for running engines we rebuilt on the road!!!

Sundance Kim
[/quote]

Hey!  I'm in on that. Trade in the "EasyRiders" leathers  for a blue jean vest with : "Castor Oil Outlaws" in a semi circle on the back. A P-38 or Ringmaster in the Center, and Marley "Mongo"  Sky  ,embroidered on the bottom.  Affraid or WOW!

My first thought on your whereabouts in Newton was:

The first Fig Newtons were baked at the F. A. Kennedy Steam Bakery in 1891. The product was named after the city of Newton, Massachusetts

Right city, wrong State. I got the munchies anyway. lol!

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Fig Newtons, a favorite of mine.

When I first saw Kim's "Castor Oil Outlaws" I made the model engine connection but also thought it could relate to me and my geriatric generation. A combo of Newtons and prunes keep this old feller errr.... regular. Smile So Sunsweet! No meds, the natural way. Way to much information. Smile

My son retires next year too at 55. He started earning his keep doing lawn work for a landscaper at about 12, then worked with his older sisters at "Gino's" a fried chicken fast food restaurant, then at "Bobby's Auto repair" until he went in the Navy where Raytheon recruited him before he got out. Spent the next 35 years there.

He often talks about doing the Route 66 thing, "Let's buy an old Corvette and go Dad!" I'm more in tune with Kim's van pulling a trailer.

I was on Route 66 back in 1953 before there were Interstates. NH to La. and back, quite a trip.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Yep...as cool as Corvettes are...and they ARE...at this stage of my life...ain't NOTHIN' like always having your own restroom mere yards away !!!

And ditto for me also on the Fig Newtons...mmmmm!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:

Thanks for sharing and I envy you your wanderlust.  Maybe some day I will hitch my MX-5 or MG Midget to your rear bumper and follow you around.  Smile  My ever nearing bucket list.  

Bob
Tony is going to retire at some point and cut loose also--maybe we could start a Wandering Model Airplane Caravan !!!!!!

Sundance Kim
I wish that day would be soon...can't wait! Smile

Tony
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum