Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit - Page 4 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Scored Some Goodies!
by Tee Bee Today at 1:07 am

» 1/2A size model-airplane wheels
by roddie Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» In case you were looking for a Skycopter fuel tank
by Jason_WI Yesterday at 10:12 pm

» Hey Bob! You related to this guy??
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Midwest Mini Warbird P-40
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:00 pm

» Cox Gooney Bird/Lazy Bee
by Marleysky Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Crash proof 1/2A Stunt plane … ???
by NEW222 Yesterday at 5:00 pm

» Cox Medallion .015 Needle Valve Extension
by coxaddict Yesterday at 3:05 pm

» Airbrush setup
by RknRusty Yesterday at 2:56 pm

» Aluminum Cox .049 Pistons
by aspeed Yesterday at 10:20 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2019
MauricioB's

"Tee Dee .010 r/c"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit - Page 4 Empty
World of Aviation

1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit - Page 4 Empty Re: 1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit

Post  944_Jim on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Well Guys,

Been a little busy lately. But since I said I'd weigh this model, I went ahead and did just that as the glue dries on my speed plane.

Total weight, plane-only, no fuel: 8.7 ounces. For a 21.25" plane, this sounds pretty heavy. Either I need to scale the next one up a smidge for more wing (and more weight to cut out of ribs, ect.), or put P-40 Gen-2 on a significant diet.

Next time I build this one, it will be from scratch. I will probably pare out a good bit of several ribs, and do a lattice-frame fuselage with a thin skin where the wing goes through, and paper on the back half. The engine bearers will probably be wood beams custom cut to rotate the engine around to drop the venturi closer to the centerline of the fuselage so the tank will line up better. Right now, the tank is a little higher, and the engine is on a plastic mount. I will also shorten the nose a bit. Box-stock I have about 3/8 ounce of solder wrapped around the tail skid. Maybe even sheet only one side of the nose with thinner plywood. Anyone think this plane can get lighter? What's a Jumping Bean or Baby Ring Master weigh?

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
944_Jim
944_Jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit - Page 4 Empty Re: 1960 Scientific P-40 Profile kit

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Jim, what exactly are you seeking? Are you going for looks or flying maneuvers? The Musciano design planes are not really suited for maneuvers. Wingspans are generally  too narrow, small elevators, and many more things. Certain designs just outperform others. Weight can be a factor but there's just so many other things that can be a deciding factor as to how the plane flies. I will say that the only 1/2A's I own that are heavy are Cox RTF models.

My stock Sterling Baby Ring is 5.50 oz's with no gear. The Brodak version is much much lighter and flies much better. I just flew a plane yesterday that I built last year which is 23" and total weight with Black Widow is 5 oz's. It flew quite well and the speed was probably the fastest I ever flew using a Black Widow. A Jumping Bean flies well however it can be a bit twitchy. The Brodak Baby Clown is an excellent flying plane. The Brodak Clown hands down gets my vote for a maneuverable 1/2A, it has a constant chord wing, it builds fast, it utilizes beam mount construction for Norvel's TD's etc. It also has ample space on the nose for a tank.  A Flite Streak is also a very good design. Brodak also makes the Lightning Streak which is a Flite Streak outline with the exception of different tail feathers. The Baby Lightning Streak offers decent wing area and maneuverability. Mine weighs 7 oz's with a Cox product engine.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:42 pm

Ken,
I hoped to do loops and inverted flight. Horizontal eights would be nice, but not important. I guess I'm expecting too much of this plane, but it sure looks good flying! Like I mentioned before, wingovers are nice to watch, although they do mush out a bit pulling out of nose down.

Looking at your numbers tells me this pig will never really fly more than up, over, down and level out. I need to try one of your mentioned planes just to see how a reputedly from e flier behaves in my hands. Thanks for your models' wieghts. Goozgog's FW-190D over on SH has a bunch of squares over the P-40, and weighs about the same. So either I find the fat, or a skinnier bird!

Thanks for your guidance during the sorting out period. I'm calling this one done.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 am

Keith's building skills are some of the most amazing I have ever seen. Not only are some of his methods done with some very innovative ways, they're also extremely light. From the building to the finishing, he's just a impressive modeller.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4