Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Shark XV Video Cox_ba12

Shark XV Video Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Shark XV Video Empty
Live on Patrol

Shark XV Video

Go down

Shark XV Video Empty Shark XV Video

Post  Tee Bee Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Here's some crummy cell phone video footage of my Shark XV flying at the local club field today. Powered by a TD .09 with an exhaust throttle sleeve. The video quality isn't all that great or very close but you can get an overall idea of the performance of the airplane and see how much fun it is to fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8LQcnS-6k
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Shark XV Video Empty Re: Shark XV Video

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Man, I just hate it when ya gotta fight for time up on the flight line!!  You’ve a great flying plane there TB. Nice job, great video, even if just a cell phone. Plenty of power out of that TD09.  Thanks for sharing

Last edited by Marleysky on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spell Check)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks Marleysky. Just thought some like-minded Cox guys might enjoy hearing the TD .09 actually singing her song in the sky instead of on a workbench. Flying
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:28 am

Good run Troy thank you for sharing, bit rich yet warmed up a sang a steady tune.

APC 6x4:
In the hand best peak 16,392 rpm
Best down wind level pass 18,733 rpm
Best peak 19,655 rpm in a steep nose down dive
Best idle 7,136 rpm
Clearly the engine is working this is a good size plane for the .09 perfect sport flying combo
to give a light wing loading for crawl speeds / landings smooth acro with some climb.
The APC 6x4 is a very good choice considering the plane loading. If you have a MA 5.5x4.5
give it a try you get some extra rpm and pep better loading with that size plane bit more
freight train action for loops / wind etc.

Static: best peak 16,392rpm / .164hp / 122.34w / 62 mph / 15.52 oz thrust.
6mins /10sec of engine time. Is that a 2oz tank?
Gross weight / Wing span and squares?
Have you done a reset yet on the socket?
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:51 am

Tee Bee wrote:Thanks Marleysky.  Just thought some like-minded Cox guys might enjoy hearing the TD .09 actually singing her song in the sky instead of on a workbench.  Flying

I definitely enjoy the song and like your vid very much. I wish I could go fly my 09 powered Cosmic Wind and Sig Wonder birds but it is actually freezing weather here in Central Europe.

Congrats for the nice flight.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 am

Whoa!  Wow!  Lots of info there!  I have a couple of those MA 5.5x4.5 props.  Seem to remember I either need to drill them out to fit or make a bushing and just never got around to it.  Will make a point of trying it, though.  Span = 40".  Forgot the squares.  Think I posted it in the original build thread at RCU.  Yep, it has a 2oz tank but the run was a bit longer than the vid shows since the camera guy accidently hit the stop button for a while 4-5mins in.  Probably closer to 6:30 total runtime.  The ball socket is snug.  The original rod broke recently when I bumped it with my small Sullivan Hornet starter.  It evidently was flooded and bent.  I attempted to straighten it but it snapped under light pressure.  I replaced the piston with a nearly new one from a Medallion .09.  After a short run-in period, she ran just as in the video.  I actually ordered NIP TD .09 piston/cylinder set from the bay but when I opened it, the cylinder wall was rusted and the piston will not budge after being stored in it.  I oiled it, baked it, and so on with no luck in unlodging it.  Luckily, the Medallion piston worked like a charm. I refuse to use electric starters on my Cox engines from now on.  The plane is SO much fun to fly!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:24 am

Beautiful video friend, that engine sounds great !! ... enjoy the video! ... by the way, last night I saw a couple of your videos of motorcycle travel !!, spectacular too ...
Savor a beer while you "accompany" the video, great music, very good landscapes, a pleasure! Thanks for sharing!!! Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up
I quote here:
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 am

Nice flight with the Shark , but i really like the Bike Ride !! Me and some friends use to do some riding , those were the days Very Happy Wish i could still ride but i don't think it would bee good with the numbness in me hands . I enjoy seeing the places i have not yet ? to go Sad RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks, Mauricio and getback! Motorcycling is my other passion/madness. I have ridden actively all my adult life. I love all types of them and still own several, performing most of the maintenance, rebuilds, etc myself. I absolutely love planning and executing travel adventures on them. When I'm in a busy period of building models, the motorcycles tend to sit quietly, awaiting the next adventure while I'm consumed with making balsa dust and such. When I get burned out on model building, I usually turn my attention back to the bikes for a few months or even longer. Spare time is very limited with my long work hours, so I struggle to keep up with both hobbies/lifestyles but the diversity keeps me motivated. Most of my best friends have entered my life through aviation, model aviation, or motorcycle related activities. My biggest motorcycle trip was from The Texas coast to the Arctic Ocean in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska in 2014. Much of that trip is featured on my youtube page. It took me 3 years to prepare for that trip and it turned out to be one of the best things I've done in my entire life. I try to make at least one bike trip a year and am in the planning stages of another fairly large trip for the summer of 2019. For now, I've got several Cox powered models to finish building before the motorcycles consume all of my time again.

I can relate with your numbness issues, getback. I'm suffering from some nerve damage and the onset of arthritis in both hands which causes numbness and pain. It gets pretty bad sometimes when I travel long distances. I'm trying to squeeze the most adventure out of this life while I'm still able to do so.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 am

Tee Bee wrote: I'm trying to squeeze the most adventure out of this life while I'm still able to do so.

BRAVO!! Clapping
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Shark XV Video Empty RE: Shark XV video

Post  66 Malibu Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:29 am

TEE BEE,
Love your Shark XV videos and it gives me inspiration to built a Shark kit I got from "Rainy Dave" Woods about 10 years ago. Mine would probably be so junky compared to your building skills, I'd be afraid to show but just fly it like I stole it..
Your MC vids are really cool but I'm gun shy on motorcycles since I was about 10 and the neighborhood 18 year old big kid took me on a ride hanging on the back of his new Harley!!! Riding must be the greatest but I have a pansy a** phobia about it I can't shake..
Oh Yes, Regarding your rusty TD.09 piston/cylinder set, try an overnight soak in plain old kitchen white vinegar.
Next morning rinse with water to neutralize the acid and WD40 to stop further chemical action.
It should slide right apart and be about good as the factory made it.
The bluing on the cylinder will be gone, but a little gun blue on your finger will make it perfect again.
I use the vinegar method all the time on rusty tools, wrenches, files, hacksaw blades,etc that I find at yard sales to make them new again.
Last week I got a hand full of rusty hacksaw blades for 25 cents for all and the next day I was using one on a project.
I've used them on surface rust on Muncie 4 speed ball bearings and they are perfect to use.
The harder and higher carbon steel will have a slight grey tone due to the carbon I suspect....
Sorry to ramble...Great vids............
Steve....
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Steve! Motorcycling is definitely NOT for everyone. I often tell people that some of the best times and worst times I've ever had involved motorcycles. It can have serious consequences and a real risk vs reward evaluation is in order for anyone contemplating it. It has become such a huge part of my life that I just can't stand the thought of not doing it any more.

Thanks for the tips on getting the piston free. I'll try it out. So far I've soaked it in Rislone oil for a few days with no luck. Then I baked it at 250F in the oven. All I accomplished was stinking up the room. Smile White vinegar will be next.

As for the Shark XV, I feel it's one of the best flying planes I've ever built. If you still have a kit, I'd certainly recomend taking the time to build it. FWIW, my other favorite Cox plane to fly is the Skydrill with a hotted up reedie .049. They fly very similar, on rails and pattern-like.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Marleysky wrote:Man, I just hate it when ya gotta fight for time up on the flight line!!  You’ve a great flying plane there TB. Nice job, great video, even if just a cell phone. Plenty of power out of that TD09.  Thanks for sharing

DITTO.. The Shark seems to track really well.. and has plenty of power. The vid was enjoyable to watch Troy. I usually loose sight of the model.. but not in this vid. You don't waste any time getting the engine running! When I consider making a vid.. (even of a bench-run..) I get paranoid that I won't get the engine started right away.. and my video-editing skills suck.. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:18 pm

I'm stoked right now! Thanks to 66 Malibu's advice, I was finally able to salvage my "new" TD .09 piston/cylinder that was seized with rust. The vinegar did indeed remove the black coating as well as the light surface rust. After oiling it up, I was able to tap the piston loose from the cylinder with a hammer and dowel rod gently applied to the piston top. Two treatments of bottled Super Blue from the local Academy gun department were applied and brushed into the grooves with a test tube brush. Washed and buffed lightly between applications. Looks new/good enough for me. These are hard to come by and I am glad to have a spare.

Shark XV Video Image69
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:49 am

Heah that vinegar is some mean stuff but the clean up came out good with the new bluing app. I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:53 am

The blueing was easy and effective. Don't know why I never thought of doing it before. I have a feeling that a few more of my old cylinders will get spiffed up as well. Can't let that $9 bottle of Super Blue go to waste. Smile
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down