Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Cox_ba12

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Empty
Live on Patrol

Latest Harbor Freight purchase

Go down

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Empty Latest Harbor Freight purchase

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Last week I received an internet coupon from Harbor Freight that featured a roll-around cart that caught my eye. $59.99 and any power tool pictured for an additional $5.00 for purchases over $50.00. So, I called my son emailed him a copy of the ad and told him to meet me there. Can't make it Dad, maybe next week. It's a 60 mile round trip for me so I forgot about it.

Come Christmas morning I find the cart and a $5.00 oscillating tool (had all the others pictured) plus a bunch of other stuff under the tree. The power of suggestion. Smile

I spent the morning putting it together and find it well designed and manufactured with large lockable casters that actually work. I'm keeping it in the basement for now, highs in the teens here. But I might buy another for the loft where I keep most of my airplanes and engines and outfit it especially to support them.

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Harbor10

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Harbor11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Empty Harbor Freight

Post  RK Flyer Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:07 pm

WOW, Double WOW!! You scored big time! I am going to check & see if the sale is still on!!

RK Flyer
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Empty Re: Latest Harbor Freight purchase

Post  batjac Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Great Christmas present!  Harbor Freight gets too much of my money.  I've been thinking about a mini-lathe for a few years now to do things like turn venturis, thread .22 barrels, make inserts for APC props to fit a 5-40 screw, fountain pens. That sort of thing.  Waffling about buying the HF mini-lathe with the current 25% off coupon which would take theirs down from $600 to $450.  But it's still just too much, I think.  I keep watching Craig's list for a mini lathe in the 12"-14" range, but nothing comes up.  Ah, well.

Happy Carting!

The Budget-Minded Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Sadly this year...I focused on high end stuff and resisted all HF ads

I am sure I missed a few good deals but right now I have most of my needs

The good thing with HF

Next week it WILL BE on SALE again!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:04 pm

With the 7x10 (in reality a 7x8) mini lathe I have it was basically a kit lathe. All the parts were there but fit and finish of the ways were not the best. Lots of hours of hand lapping of the cross slide ways and wedges were needed. Fine tuning of the speed controller to achieve low speed high torque was needed. Lots of little added on goodies adds up quick to the overall cost. Expect to spend as much for that lathe as you do on tooling. What comes with the HF lathe was very crude. I added on a quick change tool post and lots of other goodies. 4 jaw chuck, faceplate, and follower rest. Made a milling attachment with a small 2" vice and angle block. If you snuff the lathe by taking too big of a cut expect to replace the 2 large MOSFETs on the motor controller. BTDT.

Although much more money, the lathes and mills at Little Machine Shop look to be of better quality. I have bought many accessories over the years from these guys. Lots of spare parts too.

www.littlemachineshop.com

You will get the bug for machining. I now have a Rockwell 14x40 lathe and a Jet 9x40 mill.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 am

That's a nice cart Bob. I looked for something like that a few years ago. My shop is essentially a walk-in toolbox, as it is only about 11x18ft or so and the tools are mostly hanging on the walls. Actual work is mostly done right outside the door and it is handy to have a cart or a box to put the tools in during the work. I could not find a tool cart that was small and cheap enough, so I settled with an IKEA "Råskog" kitchen cart:

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Image23

It is made of steel, and the bottoms of the boxes are perforated. Quite stable and heavy enough. Plus you can use magnets to attach stuff on it.

Here's my son hiding behind his Monkey bike while demonstrating the "working right outside the door". I am actually quite impressed how quickly he has picked up most of the knowledge and skill to maintain and improve the bike, and also happy that he is receptive to tips and advice his old man offers. Not many 15-year-olds do that Smile

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Image26

The shop is currently not so bad, we got all the bikes indoors and with some shuffling around there is also room to work on them too. The shop is still under construction, the airplane works will be located on the benches seen on the right.

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Image25

Here is what Santa brought me: a Bahco 3/8" SAE socket set. I already had 3/8" set in Metric sizes but the recently acquired Harley obviously requires SAE. This set has the allen tools also. I've found 3/8" to be the best size for what I mostly work on. 1/4" ratchets are a bit weak, and socket sizes only go up to 1/2" or maybe 9/16", and the 1/2" size tools are a bit bulky and don't have much of a "feel" that I like to have while working on old machines.

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Image24

Sorry for the hijack, just could not resist sharing what has been going on in my little (unheated) shop lately Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:09 am

Not a hijack Kari, I read every word, enjoyed the pictures and learned something.

I have become a fan of these smaller roll-arounds. Just roll the cart to your job rather than look all over for the proper tool. I liked my previous HF tool box (picture) that I use for my MG that I bought this one. My problem is that I have four different work shops - loft, basement, and 2 and 4 car garages and running between shops looking for the right tool was time consuming. This way I just outfit the roll-around with the tools peculiar to that location.

Latest Harbor Freight purchase Midget14
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content