Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video Cox_ba12

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video Empty
Live on Patrol

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video

Go down

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video Empty Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video

Post  Tee Bee Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

I rescued my 10yr old Skydrill out of mothballs recently.  Did a few repairs, patched up some covering.  Nothing major, just enough to get her airworthy again.  I assembled a new engine around a Black Widow crankcase.  I added a Cox Int. new-style Tee Dee cylinder/piston set, TD head, Killer Bee backplate assembly, and Killer Bee heavy duty crank.  

Here she is back in action on a cool, windy, wet winter's day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ5d1tC22eg&feature=youtu.be
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video Empty Re: Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video

Post  balogh Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Great flight...I also like and fly these home assembled KB clones, 2nd in rank among my COX engines, behind the Tee Dee family.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video Empty Re: Winter Flight of the Skydrill - New Video

Post  roddie Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Geez Troy.. that must have made you feel good! It felt good to watch the vid! Nice job on the engine build. It runs good and strong! Did you swap-in one of the little bottle clunk-tanks like what Brad uses? I know that you were interested in those. Regardless... the airplane fly's pretty well in the wind! Congrats. on a nice Winter-flight.. and thanks for sharing!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks guys! The engine build was straight forward. Just slapped together the parts as purchased and did a few bits of rich break-in, allowing it to cool between runs. She runs nice, eh?! The tank is a 1oz Sullivan with a custom clunk line that installed in 2008 when the plane was originally built. Still works great and clunks for aerobatic flight. The covering is pretty bad and is delaminating in places. I just applied some clear covering over the worst areas to stretch a little more life out of it. Flying Cox engines is very satisfying when they run right and the Skydrill is a very nice tracking ship. Good combo! I need to clean everything up, oil some engines, and get back to building now.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 am

Great flight, Troy .........

Hearing the name Skydrill and seeing it fly sure brings back a lot of memories. Thanks for posting the video.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:04 am

Skydrill Is a good name and it stands up to it with that Killer engine screaming on the front !! Good flight Troy !! Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks guys! I used to fly this model with a Skyline FX .049 assembled by Tim Wiltse until it finally wore out the piston/sleeve fit. At the time, it was the hardest running reedie I had seen, before Cox Int existed. I then ran some Black Widows and a stock Surestart on it but they were not near as strong or fast enough to let the plane shine in the air. Since the old-school engine builders like Wiltse and Valentine are no longer bringing high performance reedies to the market, it's nice to know that anyone can still set up a good strong runner from Cox Int parts or EX Model Engines parts. Now that I see how well the combo runs, I need to buy a couple more of those KB backplates, HD cranks, And TD cylinder sets for future use. Looks to be about the same engine as the Black Lynx that EX markets.

I sent Steve Adams a link to the vid as well. Hope it helps him sell a few more kits. The Skydrill is one of the best flying 1/2A sport planes ever kitted, IMHO.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down