Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2018
1/2A Nut's

"Speedy Teedy .020"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Parts for a Thunder Tiger .15 7703 ??

Go down

Parts for a Thunder Tiger .15 7703 ??

Post  getback on Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

I have been looking and can't find a gasket set for this engine it from the 70s RC version , i emailed Shtterman and No Go , tried to look up the part # No Go there are some on Ebay but so far just part Numbers and they don't no if they will fit ? Any help would be helpful, Thanks , Eric Very Happy
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Parts for a Thunder Tiger .15 7703 ??

Post  Ken Cook on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Eric, the problem with the foreign engines of the 70's were that parts supplies were in short order due to the fact that those carrying the engines initially usually didn't stock parts for them. Enya parts for instance are far more easier to obtain parts today than they were then. The Thunder Tiger appearance wise looks like it has some similar characteristics of the Enya 3303. Fuji also shared similar likeness equally. What parts are you looking for. The Taiwan quality back then left a lot to be desired.
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 pm

I got one of these in the box o engines. It looks like an Enya clone with an OS carb clone. Has a Tornado 8-4 nylon prop on it.

I make my crankcase gaskets by hand out of thin gasket paper.

Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks Ken , Jason , My engine is identical to the one you show, i was thinking of either making the gasket or using gasket maker product? I would like to know how you got that small of a hole for the screws to go through in the gasket??? Huh...
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:49 am

My mom is in scrapbooking and one day I saw her use a really small hole punch. I bought a set of 3 sizes at Hobby Lobby. I use 1/8” the most as it fits the screw holes pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001DT3ZE/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_201_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7CJEBPY08HEE90GQV4XG&dpPl=1&dpID=510CZt3YaEL

I will put a light coat of oil on the flat face of the crankcase then press flat on the gasket paper. This will leave a pattern on the gasket paper. I’ll cut the center with a sharp xacto knife. Rough cut the outside then punch the holes. I will put the engine together with the rough gasket in place then trim the outside with a brand new xacto blade being careful not to scratch the aluminum.
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Hea Man Thanks for the info. That will work ! I have made a few gaskets in my time but didn't know there was a small hole punch for these , Thank you Mom! Very Happy
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Permatex anaerobic gasket maker. It comes in a tube about 2" long by 1/2" wide . I wouldn't even bother making a gasket. This stuff goes on with ease, it doesn't break down with alcohol, and it's service removeable. Unlike RTV it doesn't add too much thickness as it compresses easily and only cures within the sealed area. Anything outside of the joint wipes off and will not cure. It has a long shelf life of 2 years and it costs only a few dollars.
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:14 am

We may have some of this at work , i will check , i had just as well use the gasket maker than try and make a gasket. I want to see how this engine runs to decide if i want to keep it or let it goo . Very Happy
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 am

Making these small gaskets can be a hair pulling experience. As Jason said a sharp X-acto knife is necessary.

But Ken's suggestion is an easy solution as long as you don't over use and keep excess material out of the inside of the case.

Funny that Bob Brooks couldn't help you out. I have this very similar Made in Taiwan Enya/Thunder tiger clone, it was missing about everything when I got it back in 2015 from Red Barn for $7.95. I found that Enya .15II parts including the con rod fit fine. Not sure about the gasket though, but the replacement prop drive washer, prop washer, con. rod, venturi, and NVA all fit. Parts must be from the .15II though not the slightly different standard Enya .15. Same goes for the Enya .09 and .09II.

Bob
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 am

I have a Thunder Tiger 15 but it's nothing like Eric's.

I've heard about them being Enya clones but I suspect this one may be modeled on an OS MAX 15S or similar.  The TT muffler fits my OS 10FP perfectly.  The engine was really badly corroded on the outside, but felt ok so I never dismantled it, just polished up the outside.  The carb is not good- the air bleed screw broke off but a friend managed to remove it and install a replacement.  The engine itself seems to run ok but won't adjust easily- good prospect for conversion to C/L.  I have heard the cranks are weak on this model, but can't vouch for the Enya version.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 am

This one I found on RC Groups.

Looks exactly the same as mine but entirely different to Eric's.

As Bob said, I'd be trying Enya parts if I was Eric.  If a con-rod fits then surely a gasket will.  I shy away from RTV sealant as you can't always see where it goes as you assemble it.  It also makes a thinner than original gasket, meaning the backplate (or case-front in this case) is positioned closer than factory assembly.
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Anaerobic gasket maker is not RTV and I mentioned that. It's specifically made for this purpose in which it was offered to me by a engineer who designs Stihl chainsaws. I have used it for 20 years without a issue and it's very inexpensive. If it gets into the engine it won't hurt a thing. It only cures where the two surfaces mate. It's not silicone and it's not something that will corrode or harm parts. The other benefit to it is that if it gets into threads, it won't tear them out like RTV does.
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              Anaerobic gasket maker  is not RTV and I mentioned that. It's specifically made for this purpose in which it was offered to me by a engineer who designs Stihl chainsaws. I have used it for 20 years without a issue and it's very inexpensive. If it gets into the engine it won't hurt a thing. It only cures where the two surfaces mate. It's not silicone and it's not something that will corrode or harm parts. The other benefit to it is that if it gets into threads, it won't tear them out like RTV does.

Sold me Ken, I haven't seen it in stores but it is on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERMATEX-51813-Anaerobic-Gasket-Maker-1-69-fl-oz-Tube/201719123405?epid=1011820835&hash=item2ef7658dcd:g:r9sAAOSw5FNZjyjc&vxp=mtr

Bob
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Bob, that's the huge tube, I buy the tube that's about 1 1/2" long and about 3/8" wide and a little goes a long way. I'm certain you will find other uses for it, I know I have. I pay $5 for it. It comes out in a very nice little bead which is very controllable.
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 pm

http://icbimproducts.com/ has a bunch of engine gaskets. Ebay store is larrybtoys.

He has TT 15 gaskets listed but not sure if they will fit your engine.
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down