Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

hardwood source Cox_ba12

hardwood source Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

hardwood source Empty
Live on Patrol

hardwood source

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

hardwood source Empty hardwood source

Post  roddie Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:28 pm

just throwing this out there.. Old wooden side-rails from a bed-frame are often thrown out. They're a great source of hardwood for making engine-bearers. One rail would yield a lifetime of beam-stock. Often found in maple, cherry, oak.. etc. It doesn't take much room to store a rail until you need it. They're also warp-resistant, due to the nature of their construction.

hardwood source Hardwo11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

hardwood source Empty Re: hardwood source

Post  Jason_WI Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 pm

That one looks to be veneer in the pic. Can see the lamination on the side grain edge.

I can cut up an iron wood on my bandmill if you guys want really hard engine bearers. Cut it into 1" boards and air dry for a few months. Toss it in my solar kiln for a few weeks to dry and then plane to thickness and rip into strips. I wouldn't be able to ship overseas due to restrictions on heat treating wood products.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Damn it man U got everything you may would want very cool !! we have the iron wood trees around here also and they are what they are call, them hard as iron ,,, You must have biggins ours only get to about 6-8 " across . Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:58 pm

Most of the iron woods here get to about 8" but have seen a few at 12"+. Where our farm is in Door County with the prevailing east wind off of Lake Michigan we are a few degrees cooler and trees take longer to grow which means tighter growth rings and denser hardwood. The last time we logged some of the hard maple logs made veneer grade and because of the growth ring density were shipped to Europe to one of the high end car manufactures for veneer. Made some good money off those logs.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:53 pm

That's pretty cool stuff Jason! Thumbs Up My point was; that there are sources of hardwood in places where we may not ordinarily look. The prices of milled-hardwood at the home-centers ( and I'm talking small pieces..) is absolutely ridiculous.

I've mentioned keeping an eye out for old quality furniture being thrown out... carried out to the roadside with a "FREE" sign attached. One single drawer from an old Maple bureau would contain enough wood-panels for a lifetime of model-engine mounting-beams. These old drawers were typically made up of four wall-panels of between 3/8" to 1/2" thick solid hardwood.. and assembled with glued dove-tail joints.

That old furniture is sadly "long out of style".. so people just throw the pieces away or worse.. "burn them". Because they're not considered antiques; they have little value, but the materials/workmanship is something that we don't see anymore. Old bureau-drawers are often used as "containers/crates/boxes" at flea-markets/garage/rummage-sales for containing heavy old hand-tools and such. Keep an eye out for them.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

Understood. If I were to get ambitious this weekend and hack off an ironwood how thick would you want the engine bearers to be? 3/4” x 3/4” or 1/2” x 1/2” or ? X ?

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:24 am

Jason_WI wrote:Understood.  If I were to get ambitious this weekend and hack off an ironwood how thick would you want the engine bearers to be? 3/4” x 3/4” or 1/2” x 1/2” or ? X ?

I wouldn't need anything larger than 1/2" x 1/2".. but I'm not in any hurry. It would be cool to have a sample though. I've never seen it around here.. and I don't know how else I'd ever find any.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:28 am

I'll cut the boards at 3/4" that should be plenty of margin to yield 1/2" boards through the planer.

What typical lengths? I could cut these in 3' long strips and ship in a mailer tube for easy shipment.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Jason_WI wrote:I'll cut the boards at 3/4" that should be plenty of margin to yield 1/2" boards through the planer.

What typical lengths? I could cut these in 3' long strips and ship in a mailer tube for easy shipment.

That sounds very cool Jason! I was thinking possibly; a couple of 10" lengths stuffed in a paper-towel tube??  When the time comes.. we can discuss shipping-cost.

OTOH...... if you could rip 1/8" x 3/4" or 1/8" x 1.0" x 25-30" strips; it would provide experimental-stock for the "flat-frame" construction that I have mentioned here previously. Building a 1/4A to 1/2A "Goldberg-style" C/L sheet-wing design with a hardwood strip-spar will build a stronger and more warp-resistant wing.

Smile It's all good!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:55 pm

I have white ash that is 1/4" thick that can be planed down to 1/8" thick for spars. I'll measure the length but I think they are already at 48" in length.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Jason_WI wrote:I have white ash that is 1/4" thick that can be planed down to 1/8" thick for spars. I'll measure the length but I think they are already at 48" in length.

Sending a PM..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:18 pm

I was able to cut the ironwood today. From tree to lumber in an hour.

Found a growing tree in the woods. Cut it down and then cut to length. I cut it at 9’ long.

hardwood source Ad1f3d10
hardwood source Fbecb110

Get it on the mill and cut into boards. The growth rings vary from 1/16” to 1/8”.

hardwood source 74ec7010
hardwood source 6877da10
hardwood source Fad91810

The sawmill has a Honda 20hp V twin on it. When cutting the ironwood which isn’t very big it makes the Honda grunt. This stuff is hard and dense.

Then the lumber needs to be edged on both sides. I have a twin blade edger that has a movable blade. Set the width then run the flitch through and end up with a board.

Stack and sticker. Ended up with 45 board feet. Lots of engine bearers.

hardwood source Fa504410
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Nice! You make Paul Bunyon look like a slacker! Laughing
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 pm

I’m down for some ironwood bearers. Let me know what you want for it. Thanks for taking the time out in the cold to help us out. I like your Husqvarna. I have one and it’s been a great tool.

Wish I could get a hold of some of those planks to re-do the wood in my pickup bed!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I’m down for some ironwood bearers. Let me know what you want for it. Thanks for taking the time out in the cold to help us out. I like your Husqvarna. I have one and it’s been a great tool.

Wish I could get a hold of some of those planks to re-do the wood in my pickup bed!

Ron

Shipping might be kinda pricey for large planks. There will be plenty of ironwood for bearers especially if its just 1/2" x 1/2"

I cut the boards at 1" thick so if thicker ones are needed there is plenty of material to do that.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:10 am

Jason That's a nice set up U got there ! Do ya'll do board work for a business stand point ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:46 am

No but I have cut lumber for others. It’s a hobby and for use on the farm. It is an all manual mill and works best with 2 people for any kind of production numbers. Big straight logs I can cut 2000 board feet in a day. Small crooked logs and you cut that number in half or less.

I have a lap siding attachment and can cut lap siding up to 12” wide.

Then people think their walnut tree in their yard is their retirement. Usually full of nails and screws which will wreck a blade. I have a metal detector and if it detects any metal I won’t cut it.

Cooper jacketed bullets I can cut right through without damaging a blade.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:28 pm

My tree guy calls those "house trees" with more nails than expected in the bottom 10 ft.

My firewood guy delivered a split log that had more wire and nails than one would expect, all grown into the tree decades old.  We had a good laugh about it.  He really does try to not sell junk filled wood.  Some trees were living fence posts.

There are too many trees badly damaged by just a single nail or lawnmower strike.  Look up Compartmentalization of decay in trees (CODIT) for more information.   It is surprising how some species will grow over debris while others practically die from injury.

Phil

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrya_virginiana
This stuff?

That is some pretty wood. I could find uses for it.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Ok guys the ironwood had been stickered and air dried for almost a year. Time to plane them up and get them cut in strips or sell as a short plank to cut your self.

What are the sizes I need to plane the boards to? They are currently at a full 1 inch. I can easily get 3/4" x 3/4" if needed for those .60 size CL planes Smile This stuff could be tapped for threads its that hard. Fingernail doesn't make a dent.

It is supposed to rain this weekend and I should have some time.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 pm

How do your blades hold up to that wood?
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm pretty sure the planer wont like it. I have variable speed feed on the 12" RBI planer so that will help. I wish I had a insert carbide cutter head but I cant justify the cost for the amount of wood working I do. Hopefully it doesn't chip out too bad.

The table saw I have a heavy kerf 18 tooth rib blade from Freud installed. That should work well on the ironwood. I have the 10" contractor Sawstop table saw so at least I wont saw off my fingers cutting the thin strips.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm

I am still game for some small planks of this stuff.  Say 4x12 , or larger, at some thickness.  Probably not gonna be engine bearers though.

Unless the surface looks like a used toothpick I have worked with some seriously hard wood pretty well.

Last edited by pkrankow on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 am

I would say 1/2 " 5/8 " and 3/4 " 4 5/8 X 12 5/8 " Would work for most apps. I will take 1 board each or if you want to cut them would bee great ! , i have a table and scroll saw ( scroll may not cut it though. )(:O
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Jason_WI wrote:Ok guys the ironwood had been stickered and air dried for almost a year. Time to plane them up and get them cut in strips or sell as a short plank to cut your self.

What are the sizes I need to plane the boards to? They are currently at a full 1 inch. I can easily get 3/4" x 3/4" if needed for those .60 size CL planes Smile This stuff could be tapped for threads its that hard. Fingernail doesn't make a dent.

It is supposed to rain this weekend and I should have some time.

Hi Jason, "Thank you" first of all.. for following-through on putting some of this wood aside.. and also for following-up on this thread.

I would like to have a sample of it.. and will PM the details. Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Hornbeam is the tree. Look it up. It’s scarce in the US, but prolific in certain states.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next