Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2018
Mudhen's

"Prototype T.D. .010 c.1960"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Arden .099 and .19

Go down

Arden .099 and .19

Post  ticomareado on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:02 pm

I have accumulated a few Arden .099s in various conditions, some glow, some ignition and even a fixed compression diesel conversion.

In order to do a decent clean up/rebuild on these I need to disassemble them. They are fragile engines with magnesium crankcases and screw in back plates and I'm really at a loss on how to completely break them down without botching the things up or starting a magnesium fire with my micro torch.

Any advice from experienced restorers of these machines would be appreciated.
ticomareado
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arden .099 and .19

Post  getback on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 am

Hey man , put down that mico torch and get the hair drier / monokote heat gun something of that sort .. i found this will give you some ideas .. http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/engines/arden/arden.htm Babe Bee .049
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 am

As you've mentioned, the Arden is very fragile. In fact, so fragile I probably wouldn't run it unless it's been well used. The mounts break very easily. They were made with low quality magnesium and most who own them don't use them. I have seen a handful running but due to the metallurgy of these, they're usually shelf queens. The .19 is also loud . If there's no reason to take the engine apart, I would offer it a good soaking avoiding wrenching on it. My flying partner Dan Banjock used wd-40 to keep it looking like it's original patina. Most of the time however, the cases are very discolored. A heat gun would offer the best results if trying to free the engine up.
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down