Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2018
MauricioB's

"Tee Dee .020"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

A Ranger and a Reaper and a Quaker...

Go down

A Ranger and a Reaper and a Quaker...

Post  Kim on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm

I always resist doing Building Threads because of my squirrely habit of abandoning projects at various stages and sticking them on back-burners, while dragging some other dusty ghost out into the light.

But, I managed to break out of the Building Funk of the last few weeks, and actually got some substantial work on the these two long-time projects...and figured to post a few photos of them.

I think I saw the new term 'Vintage Foam' over on R.C. Groups as a suggestion toward an event at this year's S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In.  I liked the idea and pulled this Carl Goldberg 'Ranger 42' from the rafters.  The kit has somehow avoided the mice and mud daubers, with just a mild warp in the stabilizer and a bit of discoloration.

Goldberg's ad for the little plane really spurred my imagination way back in the late 1960's, and it became a 'Bucket List Plane' before I'd ever heard such a thing.

Never got around to it, but spotted a kit on Ebay that looked to be complete.

I chose to power it with a Tee Dee .049 on a tank-mount, giving me a simple drop-in deal.  Won't fly real fast or long, but I can always go to a bigger tank if needed, and want it to be an easy, nostalgic cruiser.  Might stick a carb on it at some point too.

Definitely has a Cessna-look about it.  I'd like to try and duplicate the kit's paint scheme.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought two of these kits a long time ago, and am finally getting close to finishing at least one of them.  The Reaper is one of my favorite military drones, right next to the Ryan 'Firebee' (got my credit card ready for the day when an ARF of that one is offered).

I intend to power it with an exhaust-throttle Medallion .09, and load it up with some key fob video cameras.

The wings are supposed to be glued to the fuse, but think I'm gonna make them removable.

The ominous planform that may draw ground fire from the subdivision across the valley !!

So, maybe have these guys will be tested and ready for S.M.A.L.L. 2018!!!

Last edited by Kim on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Ranger and a Reaper and a Quaker...

Post  rsv1cox on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:58 am

That Carl Goldberg advertisement brought back memories Kim, I gazed at it many times years ago while searching for a learner R/C model. The Falcon 56 and the Skylark were contenders but I finally settled on the Sterling Fledgling as I was quite familiar with their kits.

I see that Predator with a nose camera and an additional belly camera (look down shoot down) searching for the inevitable shotgunner out to do you harm. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:05 am

I like the Ranger ! That other thing is just wild !@! took me a minute to figure it was a pusher LOL I got a Skylark 42 i think it is still in the Box ,, got a Swap meet this weekend see if there is some easy floater for small engine there i can pick up for a song , i will see $ Babe Bee .049
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 am

getback wrote:I like the Ranger ! That other thing is just wild !@! took me a minute to figure it was a pusher LOL I got a Skylark 42 i think it is still in the Box ,, got a Swap meet this weekend see if there is some easy floater for small engine there i can pick up for a song , i will see $ Babe Bee .049

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/MQ-1_Predator_unmanned_aircraft.jpg/1200px-MQ-1_Predator_unmanned_aircraft.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-1_Predator&h=797&w=1199&tbnid=ozoM8Mh2A1Nl7M:&tbnh=133&tbnw=200&usg=__5hwzDhk8UK_OaMjdhC1UKXy4PPA%3D&vet=10ahUKEwjHwMPA97nZAhXCoFMKHQRjDJ0Q_B0I5AEwFQ..i&docid=8ZY16JNLJLxyiM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjHwMPA97nZAhXCoFMKHQRjDJ0Q_B0I5AEwFQ

Interesting that the tail section is inverted on the full scale.
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:09 am

Some ads or photos can really get a guy to thinking, and stay in the mind just about forever.  I was working a state-funded youth program at the National Cemetery at the time, and at every lunch break, out came my magazine ad, along with my many and various theories of what radio and engine I'd need (all I had at the time were photos in magazines).  

The guys I worked with were into cars or bikes, so I had a fairly strained audience!  Radio control at the time seemed extremely far-fetched, and I still recall the specific vision of the Ranger making low passes out across the fields outside the steel fences of the cemetery grounds.

Once the Ranger is flying, it's probably gonna spend a lot time at about 5 feet worth of altitude.

I want real bad to fly the Reaper without landing gear, but the wings are probably gonna be too delicate to take the thumping from belly landings.  I may try some less-visible wire skids.

Now, if ONLY my bud Tony could get his friends at Freewing to offer an EDF Ryan Firebee!!!!

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Wow that takes me back. When I was about 7 or 8 around 1974 a guy in my dad's RC club gave me a ragged out Ranger 42. He stripped the engine, radio and landing gear out of it. At the time I was flying a lot of HLG my dad and I would build together. Being the genius I was in freeflight, I used electrical tape to mount a "D" battery up front on the engine mounts to balance it.  There was a pretty decent hill for sledding right next to the RC field. For a couple of weekends at least I would bring out that Ranger 42 and huck it down that slope and watch her go. Eventually I tore it up but those are still some of my best memories in modelling. I can almost smell the fresh cut grass at the field.........
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down