Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2018
Mark Boesen's

"RR-TOO, Leo's handy work"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Cars, cars, and more cars

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Cars, cars, and more cars

Post  roddie on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 am

OVERLORD wrote:

I also own a 1965 Panhard 24B. A very fast car. these pictures were taken in Antwerp. in 2008 and 2011.

Below in 1999 on the banking of the Brooklands race track (or what's left of it) in Weybridge, England:

I LOVE reading this stuff!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_24
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am

That are newspapers indeed. The area in front of the Central Station in Antwerp is car-free and is paved. It was asked to put some newspapers under the engine to catch leaking oil. The wind blew it Under the car.

The Citroen 2CV with the Mercedes grille is Doug Cunningham's car. He is a well known 2cv mechanic in Colchester, Essex. He also has 2 Citroen H vans.

As a daily car, I drive a Citroen Cactus. Some pictures loaned from Google Maps while I was driving on the motorway:

OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:10 pm

As a long time driver of MG motor cars I thought that might be the case. Smile

Unique color on your Citroen. Noticed the "Deer Crossing" sign.

Deer are all over here and account for West Virginia's high auto insurance rates. I have managed to avoid them so far, but a couple of months ago my son collected a large doe with his Nissan on the way to work. Limped back home with one headlight out and anti-freeze coming out of the radiator.

I used to love these back in the 50's/60's

From wikipedia:

In 1954 they had produced the world's first hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system[7] then, in 1955, the revolutionary DS, the first mass production car with modern disc brakes[8] and, in 1967, they introduced in several of their models swiveling headlights that allowed for greater visibility on winding roads; these automobiles have received various international and national level awards, including three European Car of the Year
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I used to love these back in the 50's/60's

From wikipedia:

In 1954 they had produced the world's first hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system[7] then, in 1955, the revolutionary DS, the first mass production car with modern disc brakes[8] and, in 1967, they introduced in several of their models swiveling headlights that allowed for greater visibility on winding roads; these automobiles have received various international and national level awards, including three European Car of the Year

This was the first "classic" car I bought in the late 80's. It was a DS21 of March 1967. Cars from Sept 1966 to Sept 1967 are the most sought after. there the only cars with the round headlamps and the mineral hydraulic oil. The DS is a superb car due to its timeless lines and the hydropneumatic suspension. Until now, it's the only suspension that has the 2  incompatible caracteristics (on metal suspensions) united: good comfort and good roadholding.

In 1957, the DS body was rewarded the 1st prize at the Triennale of Milan, the most important exposition of decorative art.

This "totem" was later exposed at the Citroen showroom on the Champs Elysees, Paris:

on different motorshows and in the French pavillion on the Brussels world fair in 1958:

A sales brochure of octobre 1959:

At the end of 1963, when the nose was restyled, a new totem was made and presented on the Paris motor show:

and in Amsterdam:

out of my personal collection, both models together:

OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks for sharing Lieven.  Those are beautiful examples of automotive art.  

Whenever I see a Paris based movie on TCM I always look for the different European models.  An early Porsche, Citroen, or Italian of any Mark along with Audrey Hepburn always gets my attention.  

You mention "round headlights".  It's funny how a small styling que can make such a difference to a collector/enthusiast.   My current 1977 MG Midget is an example.  

The '74 had round rear wheel arches, while the '77's were squared off.  Collectors much prefer the earlier cars.  

I have finally "finished" the MG.  16 months of messing around with what was once a rusty, locked up drive line mess of a car has finally gained a roadable example.  Done on the cheap, I figure I have about as much in it (including the purchase price) as I have in my Enya collection.  

rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 am

Bob, I think you did well on that Midget. I've seen many Midgets and Sprites but this wheel arche difference never caught my eye. Is yours a plastic bumper model?

In the 90's I resored with my dad his Wolseley 18/85 MkII S of 1970. This car is equiped with the BMC B series engine. What the "S" version differs from the others is that the engine is made to MGB spec with bigger valves and 2 carbs. Only on this one, the carbs are 1 3/4" diameter while the MGB has 1 1/2" diameter carbs.

Bought for not much, it looked all right. Once dismanteled, I had to carry out extensive body work. The outer sills were replaced. The longitudinal plate inside the sills was repaired. I replaced the bottom chin and the front parts next to the "radiator" grille. The headlamp pots were totally gone and I made new ones out of sheet metal.

After a respray the car came out like this

OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:51 am

Regards the rear wheel openings I should have said - From 1975 on-wards they were squared off until the end of production in 1979.

I have only a passing familiarity with the Wolseley but I have seen a few at car shows.  The engine looks to be a dead ringer for my old 1800 cc MGB's only mounted transversely. I wonder how they scaled the transmission.  

The canister on top of the generator assembly is a curiosity, it looks like the brake fluid reservoir on my Midget.  Obviously not, but an odd place for a power steering fluid or other reservoir.  Lubrication of some sort?  Engine compartment looks great.  Huge difference before and after.  

Fabricating those headlight surrounds must have been fun as they were probably originally cast.  Love the frenched head lights and chrome bezels.  You put much more effort in the Wolseley than I did the Midget.  For economy and times sake I cut many corners.  But it runs and drives very well.

Yes, "rubber bumper" on the '77. Heavy devices that will not be replaced. Chrome on the 74's.

Took my son for a ride yesterday.

rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am

rsv1cox wrote:

I wonder how they scaled the transmission.  

The canister on top of the generator assembly is a curiosity, it looks like the brake fluid reservoir on my Midget.  Obviously not, but an odd place for a power steering fluid or other reservoir.  Lubrication of some sort?  Engine compartment looks great.  Huge difference before and after.  

The engine-gearbox configuration is the same as on the Mini Minor: the engine is bolted on top of the gearbox. There is only 1 sump and 1 sort of lub oïl. The canister is the fluid for the power steering indeed. The hydraulic pump is bolted onto the back of the dynamo.
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Looks Good Bob, just need to drop the suspension a little to counteract the weight of the missing bumpers and the 1974 1/2 ride height mandate. Hope you are enjoying it.

Currently I am getting into Trials Bikes. Going to pick up a 1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 tomorrow!
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks Good Bob, just need to drop the suspension a little to counteract the weight of the missing bumpers and the 1974 1/2 ride height mandate. Hope you are enjoying it.

Currently I am getting into Trials Bikes. Going to pick up a 1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350  tomorrow!

I saw that post about your trials bikes Ron, and I paid particular attention to that blue MGA in the background. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2