Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cars, cars, and more cars

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Empty Re: Cars, cars, and more cars

Post  roddie Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 am

OVERLORD wrote:

I also own a 1965 Panhard 24B. A very fast car. these pictures were taken in Antwerp. in 2008 and 2011.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Anvers10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 P9110110

Below in 1999 on the banking of the Brooklands race track (or what's left of it) in Weybridge, England:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Brookl10

I LOVE reading this stuff!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_24
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am

That are newspapers indeed. The area in front of the Central Station in Antwerp is car-free and is paved. It was asked to put some newspapers under the engine to catch leaking oil. The wind blew it Under the car.

The Citroen 2CV with the Mercedes grille is Doug Cunningham's car. He is a well known 2cv mechanic in Colchester, Essex. He also has 2 Citroen H vans.

As a daily car, I drive a Citroen Cactus. Some pictures loaned from Google Maps while I was driving on the motorway:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Il_dyb10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Il_dyp10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Enfin_10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:10 pm

As a long time driver of MG motor cars I thought that might be the case. Smile

Unique color on your Citroen. Noticed the "Deer Crossing" sign.

Deer are all over here and account for West Virginia's high auto insurance rates. I have managed to avoid them so far, but a couple of months ago my son collected a large doe with his Nissan on the way to work. Limped back home with one headlight out and anti-freeze coming out of the radiator.

I used to love these back in the 50's/60's

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Citroe10

From wikipedia:

In 1954 they had produced the world's first hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system[7] then, in 1955, the revolutionary DS, the first mass production car with modern disc brakes[8] and, in 1967, they introduced in several of their models swiveling headlights that allowed for greater visibility on winding roads; these automobiles have received various international and national level awards, including three European Car of the Year
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I used to love these back in the 50's/60's

From wikipedia:

In 1954 they had produced the world's first hydropneumatic self-levelling suspension system[7] then, in 1955, the revolutionary DS, the first mass production car with modern disc brakes[8] and, in 1967, they introduced in several of their models swiveling headlights that allowed for greater visibility on winding roads; these automobiles have received various international and national level awards, including three European Car of the Year

This was the first "classic" car I bought in the late 80's. It was a DS21 of March 1967. Cars from Sept 1966 to Sept 1967 are the most sought after. there the only cars with the round headlamps and the mineral hydraulic oil. The DS is a superb car due to its timeless lines and the hydropneumatic suspension. Until now, it's the only suspension that has the 2  incompatible caracteristics (on metal suspensions) united: good comfort and good roadholding.

In 1957, the DS body was rewarded the 1st prize at the Triennale of Milan, the most important exposition of decorative art.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Trienn10

This "totem" was later exposed at the Citroen showroom on the Champs Elysees, Paris:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 12_scu10

on different motorshows and in the French pavillion on the Brussels world fair in 1958:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Totem210

A sales brochure of octobre 1959:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Catalo10

At the end of 1963, when the nose was restyled, a new totem was made and presented on the Paris motor show:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Ds_19610

and in Amsterdam:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Ds_2e_10

out of my personal collection, both models together:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Imgp3310
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks for sharing Lieven.  Those are beautiful examples of automotive art.  

Whenever I see a Paris based movie on TCM I always look for the different European models.  An early Porsche, Citroen, or Italian of any Mark along with Audrey Hepburn always gets my attention.  

You mention "round headlights".  It's funny how a small styling que can make such a difference to a collector/enthusiast.   My current 1977 MG Midget is an example.  

The '74 had round rear wheel arches, while the '77's were squared off.  Collectors much prefer the earlier cars.  

I have finally "finished" the MG.  16 months of messing around with what was once a rusty, locked up drive line mess of a car has finally gained a roadable example.  Done on the cheap, I figure I have about as much in it (including the purchase price) as I have in my Enya collection.  

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Cars_010

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Midget10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Midget11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 am

Bob, I think you did well on that Midget. I've seen many Midgets and Sprites but this wheel arche difference never caught my eye. Is yours a plastic bumper model?

In the 90's I resored with my dad his Wolseley 18/85 MkII S of 1970. This car is equiped with the BMC B series engine. What the "S" version differs from the others is that the engine is made to MGB spec with bigger valves and 2 carbs. Only on this one, the carbs are 1 3/4" diameter while the MGB has 1 1/2" diameter carbs.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_o10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_m10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_m11

Bought for not much, it looked all right. Once dismanteled, I had to carry out extensive body work. The outer sills were replaced. The longitudinal plate inside the sills was repaired. I replaced the bottom chin and the front parts next to the "radiator" grille. The headlamp pots were totally gone and I made new ones out of sheet metal.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_a10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_a11

After a respray the car came out like this

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_n10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Wols_a12
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:51 am

Regards the rear wheel openings I should have said - From 1975 on-wards they were squared off until the end of production in 1979.

I have only a passing familiarity with the Wolseley but I have seen a few at car shows.  The engine looks to be a dead ringer for my old 1800 cc MGB's only mounted transversely. I wonder how they scaled the transmission.  

The canister on top of the generator assembly is a curiosity, it looks like the brake fluid reservoir on my Midget.  Obviously not, but an odd place for a power steering fluid or other reservoir.  Lubrication of some sort?  Engine compartment looks great.  Huge difference before and after.  

Fabricating those headlight surrounds must have been fun as they were probably originally cast.  Love the frenched head lights and chrome bezels.  You put much more effort in the Wolseley than I did the Midget.  For economy and times sake I cut many corners.  But it runs and drives very well.

Yes, "rubber bumper" on the '77. Heavy devices that will not be replaced. Chrome on the 74's.

Took my son for a ride yesterday.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 20180811

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 20180812

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 20180810
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am

rsv1cox wrote:

I wonder how they scaled the transmission.  

The canister on top of the generator assembly is a curiosity, it looks like the brake fluid reservoir on my Midget.  Obviously not, but an odd place for a power steering fluid or other reservoir.  Lubrication of some sort?  Engine compartment looks great.  Huge difference before and after.  

The engine-gearbox configuration is the same as on the Mini Minor: the engine is bolted on top of the gearbox. There is only 1 sump and 1 sort of lub oïl. The canister is the fluid for the power steering indeed. The hydraulic pump is bolted onto the back of the dynamo.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Looks Good Bob, just need to drop the suspension a little to counteract the weight of the missing bumpers and the 1974 1/2 ride height mandate. Hope you are enjoying it.

Currently I am getting into Trials Bikes. Going to pick up a 1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350 tomorrow!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:19 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks Good Bob, just need to drop the suspension a little to counteract the weight of the missing bumpers and the 1974 1/2 ride height mandate. Hope you are enjoying it.

Currently I am getting into Trials Bikes. Going to pick up a 1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350  tomorrow!

I saw that post about your trials bikes Ron, and I paid particular attention to that blue MGA in the background. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Here's an interesting story on the complete to factory restoration of an early 1970's Ford Falcon. I don't remember the Falcon being made in US after the 1960's, but apparently in Australia they continued to build them. This restoration cost $106k AU.

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 am

Yes the Aussie’s made Falcons up until about 2016 I think.
I bought an immaculate, one owner, low mileage 74 302 XB GS500 Falcon coupe back in the eighties.
Awesome car, had a brain fade and traded it on a 80 Pontiac firebird. One of my worst decisions ever.

I think I’ve posted it on the forum before but here it is again.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 1974_x10

The Aussies call these coupes Hardtops and they could be had with six’s and V8’s. The high spec ones command devastating prices. There were three models XA, XB and XC (73-79) and they were raced in Oz (Bathurst and great battles with the Holden Toranas) and New Zealand.
1980 saw a new shape model. Nowhere near as sexy.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 N10

For the GM fans here, the Holden Torana was about two thirds the size of the Ford Coupes with very tricked up six’s (XU1) and later V8’s  (SL/R 5000 and the SL/R and SS A9X’s).These cars also command very high prices.

1978 Torana A9X

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 1978_t10
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:53 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Here's an interesting story on the complete to factory restoration of an early 1970's Ford Falcon. I don't remember the Falcon being made in US after the 1960's, but apparently in Australia they continued to build them. This restoration cost $106k AU.

George.  Wow, you beat me to the punch.  I've never seen this footage but what a fantastic story.  Plus the dad's reaction was priceless.  Brings a tear to the eye.

These old home-grown Aussie Falcons hold a special place in the hearts of most Aussie car enthusiasts.  The Falcon lasted all the way from 1960 until 2016.
Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Last-f10
Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Final-10
Many may know the model from the clip from the Mad Max (Road Warrior) movies.  
Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Articl10
This probably did a lot to boost their popularity.

I see Dave from across the ditch has beaten me to it before I had a chance to post.  No problems.  We like the Kiwis, as long as they don't take credit for any of our classic vehicles they can stay where they are. (Oh, and we really don't like them beating us in cricket) lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:57 am

They were always exciting to watch.
Hardtop chasing Torana

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Hardto10

Torana's chasing Hardtops

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Torana10

Hard charging Torana

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Hard_c10

Scalextric did a run of Hardtops which of course I had to get all nine plus the Bathurst set.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Scalex10

Collecting is such a compulsion  lol!
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 am

Nice story and video George. Thanks for sharing. The US Ford Falcon, a different animal isn't so revered here.

Love the color, very close to the Citron that MG featured on their models in the 1970's.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Mgb_x210

Holden made the imported Pontiac G8 for the US market, sort of a replacement for the Grand Prix. They didn't sell well but are a collectable here now.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Whenever I have to feed my El Camino addiction I’ll go to this web page and watch this video:  
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkSBP6ehgU#

If I ever win the Lottery, I’ll be the next person in line for one of these
            http://lefthandutes.com/

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:17 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Here's an interesting story on the complete to factory restoration of an early 1970's Ford Falcon. I don't remember the Falcon being made in US after the 1960's, but apparently in Australia they continued to build them. This restoration cost $106k AU.

I think that body was sold in US as the Maverick, no

https://www.hotrodhotline.com/forsale/vehicles/ford/maverick/1975/listing/121348
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:45 pm

Dear old dad returned from Vietnam to be posted at the 6th Army IG office in the Presideo of San Francisco...now a state park

While he was off to the war, we all lived in grandmas house in Oakland.....Up in the Oakland hills
The Rambler station wagon was not up to the task of towing the big boat dad bought...21 foot Chris Craft cabin cruiser

So dad had to change brands to ford and bought a LTD station wagon with belch fire engine (428 CJ),  was the Family car and dad needed a daily commuter, so he bought a used 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero

So Ranchero, two door was a light vehicle
289 HiPo ( means 4bbl carb)
Borg Warner T-10 4 speed
Station wagon rear end 4.10:1

this became my first car and started my Ford loyalty for several decades

I actually taught myself how to drive the stuck shift by stealing the Ranchero when dad was out of town....we did live on steep hills...sure wish that car had a hand brake like many of my later cars did... NOT rolling back into the car behind was a challenge to learn and NOT burn the clutch up

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Images10
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm

I see Dave from across the ditch has beaten me to it before I had a chance to post.  No problems.  We like the Kiwis, as long as they don't take credit for any of our classic vehicles they can stay where they are. (Oh, and we really don't like them beating us in cricket) lol![/quote]

Hi Rod
I don't think you have to worry too much about us with the cricket, or the league or the netball but we still doing alright in the rugby (so far)
We might grab a few more of your classic cars though.  lol!
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:15 pm

crankbndr wrote:
I think that body was sold in US as the Maverick, no

Pretty sure the Aussie Hardtop was a fully in-house design (back when we actually did that stuff).  I'd suggest it's somewhat bigger than that of the Maverick.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Yep I reckon you're right on both counts Rod. The Maverick is 103" wheelbase whereas the Falcon is 111". (The wagon was slightly longer)

According to a book I have "The History Of The Ford Motor Company In Australia And New Zealand - Geoff Easdown" 1987, until the 1972 XA Falcon the previous Australian versions were derived from the American model.
In 1969 the parent company said it planned to stop the range so an American working at Ford Australia named Telnack, Brian Rossi and a third designer Allan Jackson were sent to Detroit and the Dearborn styling studios in May 1968 to produce designs for a new local car.
There they were given access to some of the best clay modellers in the business. The trio from Australia finished their work by October and with designs for the Falcon sedan, wagon and Fairlane approved came home to produce a utility and a panel van . The two door hardtop followed.
The design brief was to use, wherever possible the body parts of the existing sedan and the result was an identical floorplan and front-end sheet metal with just the roof and rear to be dealt with.
At one stage it was suggested that they might be able to cut costs by producing a short-based version of the Ford Torino. They did a clay model of the US Fairlane Torino utilising the main centre section of the body, doors and all glass but with modified front and rear to reduce overhang and keep overall length of the vehicle within Falcon objectives. Senior management found its appearance unacceptable and although that design was rejected I think you can still see a bit of Torino in the final design.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:55 am

Canada/USA.

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 1960-f10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 1950-m10

Not hard to tell a Canadian Falcon from the US version.  Or the Mercury.  Same fundamentals different presentations.  Chevrolet's became Pontiac's.  When visiting Canada in the 50's it was fun seeing the differences.

Pictured:  The Ford Frontenac and Mercury Monarch

On the other hand:

England/USA

1947 MGTC same darn car right down to RHD

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Mgtc_110
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:49 pm

I particularly like pictures of cars that negociate corners. It adds a dynamic dimension to an otherwise static moment.

Some of my favorites:

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Charbo10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Mont2010

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 29370910

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 23390010

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 603_2_10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Z1_rem10

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Z1_rem12

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 19682010

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 Tdf_1910

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 19602010

Cars, cars, and more cars - Page 2 2cv_re10
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:18 am

Hey, how's the old dude sitting on the post with a flag.  Looks Ready for Action
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:09 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Hey, how's the old dude sitting on the post with a flag.  Looks Ready for Action

Or the guy hanging out on the Triumph TR3. A popular move from the earliest auto racers.

But Citroens rule. I love all of them.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content