Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Question re. small red rubber spinners
by KariFS Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Charlie Brown, a West Virginia hero
by Marleysky Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Fredvon4 sent me a tee dee and I didn’t know!?
by NEW222 Yesterday at 9:44 pm

» messing around with flywheels
by roddie Yesterday at 7:40 pm

» Texaco Running Steady
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 7:30 pm

» SPI or Free Porting
by crankbndr Yesterday at 5:35 pm

» Not a Cox Engine
by ffkiwi Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Help with Disassembly
by SteveM Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» 6 new glow heads
by Marleysky Yesterday at 3:19 pm

» Follow The Traveling Engine!
by dckrsn Yesterday at 3:19 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
December-2018
Dave P.'s

"RC Tee Dee 049"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Reed Valve Design Ideas Poll

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RE: Reed valve design polls

Post  66 Malibu on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:32 pm

Regarding designs of the actual reed valve itself, Cox flirted with a Beryllium Copper rectangle reed.
I have one from a bag of about 50 that was in R&D.
The guy was more than really difficult dealing with so I got the one only.
I hate to use it because of it's oddity, although it would been fun to compare with the stainless steel version in use.
I read later that there maybe possible environmental issues working with Beryllium alloys, and I concluded that may why Cox didn't use them, Maybe cost too?
I scored a bunch of Cox stuff from a Texas seller on eBay so, I got a number of the mylar star shaped reeds that will do me a while.
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reed Valve Design Ideas Poll

Post  roddie on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:50 pm

66 Malibu wrote:
I scored a bunch of Cox stuff from a Texas seller on eBay so, I got a number of the mylar star shaped reeds that will do me a while.

I did some more messing around today with redneck reed design.. Laughing This time I tried making a star-shaped reed by first; marking a 7/16" dia. circle on my material.. then cutting it out "square"... Shocked

Then I nibbled-out the four radius-cuts using a paper hole-punch..

This leaves just the "legs" to trim.. which is easier than trying to cut-out the entire circle cleanly with scissors..

It needs to be test-run.. but the "blow/suck" method reveals that it seals.

Then there's what I'll call my "hybrid".. What?

I'll be working on a method to more accurately index the cuts.. because symmetry is likely a key to whether the reed will function correctly.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Nice work Roddie!

I've played around with various reed designs over the years. I like the Mylar star reeds the best.

One reed design I think could be a winner is this:

These were designed off a reed I hand cut out of a floppy disk one day. Jason made the first machine-cut ones off the design. I need to get a new cutting mat for my die-cut machine, then I can get back to cutting them out. I know a few of you guys on here are probably waiting for them. They need to be ran through a lot of tests to see if they really improve anything first. I know I sent some to a few members on here...have never heard anything back about performance though.

Admin
Administrator

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Roddie I like the star shape but to me the "hybrid" leaves too small transfer area i.e. only 2 small bites through which the mixture is drawn into the crankcase...of course your bench test will tell us if I am wrong
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE: Reed valve design ideas

Post  66 Malibu on Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:40 pm

Roddie,
Great creativity and engineering to make a complicated shape easy for even me to do !!!!
Thanks, Steve
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyStreak on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:23 pm

My gaskets finally came from Cox Int. today. Now I can resume testing.

I've been thinking of getting some of those Cox Forum reeds to try.
SkyStreak
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 am

by balogh on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Roddie I like the star shape but to me the "hybrid" leaves too small transfer area i.e. only 2 small bites through which the mixture is drawn into the crankcase...of course your bench test will tell us if I am wrong

You're probably correct Andras.. but we'll see. I'm hoping to possibly improve fuel-economy without sacrificing performance. Who knows how much (if any) unburnt fuel passes through the exhaust ports. It certainly happens with a rich needle-setting.

by 66 Malibu on Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Roddie,
Great creativity and engineering to make a complicated shape easy for even me to do !!!!
Thanks, Steve

I actually enjoy messing around with these kinds of things Steve. I'll probably end up in the funny-farm from it one day though..  Sad Goodbye

A circle-template is a must-have tool. I use it for lots of things. It definitely came in handy for this application. I used the 7/16" and 7/32" to mark the reed's outer-diameter and seat-area respectively. This helps to provide a ball-park reference when punching the radii for the star-shape.

The oblong/oval-shape reed is easy to make.. once you get the hang of it. The "straight-sides" are approximately .270" apart. If you cut a strip of material to that width.. and a couple of inches long; you've then established the cross-section for cutting as many reeds as will fit on the strip.. side-by-side. I use a small steel-rule and razor-knife. The 7/16" circle-template is used to mark the radii by placing it over the strip and sighting-it on-center. Mark the radii with a fine-point pen. Using a "nibbling-action" with good sharp scissors; cut the radii "on".. or just inside the ink-mark.

You'll know where to cut after making a couple. If the overall radius is too "large".. the reed will warp in the housing.. and won't seat properly. Too "small".. will allow side-movement of the reed which would probably cause "floating" and loss of power. In extreme cases.. a reed that is much too small could slip past the retainer.. and get sucked into the crankcase.

I made a couple more reeds this morning.. marking the seat-area..

Note a new experimental cross-flow reed-type having x4 radii of .125" accomplished using my 1/8" hole-punch.

Again; this material is a semi-rigid type of plastic-sheet which is "gloss-smooth" on one side and has a "matte-finish" on the other side. The thickness is .008". The smooth/reflective side faces the valve-seat.. and the matte-side I use to make my ink-marks.

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2