Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» P-38 Lightning-Roddie style..
by roddie Today at 8:25 pm

» My NOS plane collection
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:25 pm

» 1978 Cox Hobbies Catalogs
by roddie Today at 7:28 pm

» Lil Monster
by Ken Cook Today at 7:12 pm

» Accelerator accessory for .09
by 1/2A Nut Today at 5:31 pm

» I bet not many COX collectors have this..
by KingofCox Today at 5:03 pm

» 1968 Cox Hobbies Catalog
by Kim Today at 2:53 pm

» PDQ/Brodak Baby Clown rebuild
by Bill steklenski Today at 12:39 pm

» Hasbro "the Great Gassers"
by Bill steklenski Today at 12:29 pm

» GSCB Didn't see anyone I knew!
by Bill steklenski Today at 7:56 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Servos for 1/2a rc

Go down

Help! Servos for 1/2a rc

Post  micro 0951 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:57 pm

It's been quite some time since i've flown my cox powered plane and i feel now is as good a time to get her back into the skies before the school term starts. However, having only scratchbuilt of electric aircraft, i realized that some bits of my build are not very suited, or downright dangerous when used in a glow powered plane.

The lack of a cover over the electronics bay was merely a nuisance with oil getting inside but the more pressing issue are the servos, both the servos themselves and the way in which they are attached to the plane. In a move to save time (or i'm just lazy Laughing ) the servos were wrapped in blue tape and glued to the fuselage sides. The servos are Hitec HS-55s, and both have started to 'shiver', a usual sign of impending failure. With my field being as small as it is, i dare not risk any in-flight failure, seeing as there is a MOD facility (i've checked, its legal to fly at the field nearby) nearby having an uncontrollable plane capable of flying for 15 mins is a very bad idea, not just for the public, but for the hobby too.

I'm thinking of mounting the servos in a balsa/ply tray down the middle with some vibration damping material between the tray and the servo, though i don't know how effective this would be. So here's my question to the rc flyers of the CEF, what servos do you recommend for 1/2a use, and how would you mount them in your plane?

Last edited by micro 0951 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed topic icon to help)
micro 0951
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Servos for 1/2a rc

Post  Tee Bee on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I have had many HS-55s fail over the years, starting with the quivering like yours. I no longer install them. I have used several other servos in 1/2A planes but my current favorites are the Dymond 47s. I usually mount them with screws but place rubber shims under tabs to simmer the vibes. Pieces of fuel tubing are what I usually shim them with.

HS-65s have also worked ok for me but the Dymonds are my flavor of the month.
Tee Bee
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:41 pm

MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MiniatureAircraftFactory on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:19 am

Since 1990 I have only ever used a drop of thin cyano glue to stick servos in on models less than a .25 engine ( before that I used servo tape ) , I have never had a problem with any make or size of servo with vibration damage , the only servos I have had that failed were some 2.5g unbranded ones in an td 020 FMK mini rainbow plane when I flick rolled it and the gears smashed due to being far too small a servo for the model speed, I tend to use the blue 9g ones on most models.
MiniatureAircraftFactory
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile http://www.fmk-models.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down