Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Pardon me Boy"... Cox_ba12

"Pardon me Boy"... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 12:02 pm

» Cox .35 and .40 in Nürnberg Toy Fair
by Levent Suberk Today at 11:57 am

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 11:39 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 11:23 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 10:59 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Pardon me Boy"... Empty
Live on Patrol

"Pardon me Boy"...

Go down

"Pardon me Boy"... Empty "Pardon me Boy"...

Post  roddie Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:25 pm

"Is that the cat that chewed your new stooge"?.. (I'm goofing..) It had been on my mind that I needed to redesign/modify my launch-stooge. I'd been wanting to make the hinged "U-shape" that I've seen some of you guys use.

I started with a piece of 1/4" plywood. Making the "U" was the easy part..

"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05716
"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05717
"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05718

I had to buy a pair of small hinges.. Rolling Eyes (that irked me.. because I'm frugal..) I utilized a previously-built stooge for its pin-release.. and used the remaining piece of 1/4" plywood as a base.

Here's the finished-product. The two aluminum "spikes" come from roof-gutters. They fit into holes in the rear-plate that are drilled-through at a 45 degree angle and anchor the stooge when used on a grass circle.

"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05719

There was a bit of trial and error shimming involved.. to get the "gate" to drop smoothly.

"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05720

The stooge should now work with just about any conventional 1/2A C/L airplane that has landing gear.

"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05721

even the fork-tailed P-38..

"Pardon me Boy"... Dsc05722
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

"Pardon me Boy"... Empty Re: "Pardon me Boy"...

Post  batjac Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Hmmmm.... Looking at how the red plane fits in there, and how close the top of the stooge looks like hitting the trailing edge of the wing, I get an idea. Have a piece of piano wire that goes through both hinges that can be pulled out from the side to separate the hinges. Have one large U-shaped plate for larger planes, and a second smaller U-shaped plate for 1/2A planes.

The Un-Hinged Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Nice stooge ya made yourself there. I also like how it accommodates your P-38! I always wanted a stooge for my 1/2a planes but only one has gear, and even with gear, it is rough where I fly.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:40 am

batjac wrote:Hmmmm....  Looking at how the red plane fits in there, and how close the top of the stooge looks like hitting the trailing edge of the wing.

Mark

If the model "stood still".. then yes; the gate would contact the wing's leading-edge. The model will move forward as soon as the gate drops.. and the wing's trailing-edge will clear it with inches to spare.

The little red airplane is an extreme example. It may be too small for a stooge-launch. I have a "rail" which attaches to the base-plate of the stooge and acts as a "curbing" for the inboard main-wheel on the model to ride-against. I needed it with the F8F-2 Bearcat to keep the nose from "skidding-inward" on smooth pavement when checking the controls from the handle.

"Pardon me Boy"... 5-15-111
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:03 am

NEW222 wrote:Nice stooge ya made yourself there. I also like how it accommodates your P-38! I always wanted a stooge for my 1/2a planes but only one has gear, and even with gear, it is rough where I fly.

Thanks Chancey! Years ago.. I seldom had a helper or flying-buddy.. so making a stooge was the only way I was able to fly at a moments-notice. I also kept a small roll of tar-paper (maybe 2-3 meters length) and laid it out on the grass for a take-off runway. The lightweight balsa models didn't need much distance before becoming airborne.

I'm still wrestling with a take-off dolly design for gear-less models which would release via a pin-stooge.. and launch the model from an inclined-cradle as soon as enough lift was generated. It would have to be lightweight.. and have large balloon-type tires.. (maybe something like a small pair of Styrofoam-rings Huh... ) and a bamboo frame/cradle? Shocked I started building a dolly.. but it got complicated and too heavy to use on grass.

Surely you'd like the option of being able to fly without a helper.. Small Cox Logo

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum