Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Need help troubleshooting a Cox .049 engine
by Cox International Today at 1:43 pm

» 1970 Honda US90
by Cribbs74 Today at 10:44 am

» my other hobby
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:03 am

» BW piston/cylinder ?
by oldguy Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» Diesel heads! turn the lathe!
by Cox International Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» 1968 Cox Hobbies Catalog
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:18 pm

» Wanted - Muffler for .049
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Follow The World's Smallest Traveling Engine!
by Kim Yesterday at 2:09 pm

» Reputation point changes!!!!!
by coxaddict Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm

» Accelerator accessory for .09
by GallopingGhostler Wed May 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

You gotta be kidding me!

Go down

You gotta be kidding me!

Post  batjac on Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 am

I decided that I need an incidence meter so that I can ensure I get the engine, wing, and tail of my larger planes at 0-0-0 when I build.  So I went online to buy one.  I checked Tower and they had the Robart incidence meter (https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET66).  $36.99 plus shipping, when it gets off of back order.  Checking Horizon showed the E-Flight incidence meter (https://www.horizonhobby.com/anglepro-ii-5-in-1-digital-throw-incidence-meter-efla280).  $59.99 plus shipping, but at least it was in stock.  Ridiculous.

So, I decided to draw out my own and build it.  I jotted down some numbers and then took a $2.00 stick of 3/8” x 36” spruce and some scrap ply from the junk box to make my own.  The spruce piece was cut to make a 24” stick that the two plates will slide on.  The stick will be sandwiched top and bottom by two 6” pieces of spruce cut from the stick and glued to the scrap plywood plate.  Here’s the drawing and the ply plate with lines sketched on it.

Here, the top piece of spruce is glued to the top of the meter plate.

Then the slide stick is sandwiched between the upper piece and the lower piece of spruce to make things nice and tight for gluing the bottom piece.  The lower piece gets thin CA on the bottom side, and the middle stick is removed and the other side of the lower piece gets hit with more thin CA.

Next, I sawed down the middle at the top and bottom to prepare for the final piece being glued on and getting ready to separate the two halves.

And the final piece of ply glued on top to close out the box section that will slide on the 24” piece of spruce.

The two halves separated:

Next a couple of bubble levels from the Dollar Store.  One removed from the plastic housing and glued to the 24” spruce stick, and the other alongside to verify they are level with each other.

And the two slide pieces after sanding to shape and coating with a layer of thin CA for a finish.  I can clamp a wing with a wing chord of up to 26” 21".  Somehow I doubt I’ll ever need that much.  I’m figuring a probable max of 10” at most.

Total cost was about $5.00 for the project using scrap and Dollar Store components and about three hours of time.  

The Penny Pincher Mark

Last edited by batjac on Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: You gotta be kidding me!

Post  Kim on Fri May 18, 2018 5:59 am

"Total cost was about $5.00 for the project using scrap and Dollar Store components and about three hours of time. "

Plus the pride of making up some gear that works just as well/better than the expensive stuff!

Way to go !!!

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

Nice job Mark , i got one of those about to many years ago , i think it was 19.95 at the time haven't used it in a while .. Hope i can still find all of it cause i will bee needing it soon ! Very Happy
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Fri May 18, 2018 4:06 pm

You’re right up there in inspirational Modeler of Modelers. Great idea, great tool, saving money and expanding your skills and craftsmanship all at the same time. I salute you! Hats Off  Beers
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 pm

great minds think alike, this is from the stunt days of twenty years ago...
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Fri May 18, 2018 10:01 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:great minds think alike, this is from the stunt days of twenty years ago...

Cool meter. Great improvisation. I didn't care about angle, just that everything is in line. Good use of the angle meter.

The Great Minded Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down