Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Cox_ba12

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 12:02 pm

» Cox .35 and .40 in Nürnberg Toy Fair
by Levent Suberk Today at 11:57 am

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 11:39 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 11:23 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 10:59 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Empty
Live on Patrol

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Empty Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest?

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 pm

There are very good examples of engines in the forum other than Cox brand. I think that a monthly contest for these non-Cox engines is a good idea. What is your opinion?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Empty Re: Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest?

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:There are very good examples of engines in the forum other than Cox brand. I think that a monthly contest for these non-Cox engines is a good idea. What is your opinion?

Great idea.  The world to choose from.

Only problem is..the exotics would win out.  The work horse engines that we love wouldn't stand a chance. No sponsor, no prize? Just the thrill of victory for the winner and the agony of defeat for the rest.  

That said, I would be in.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Empty Re: Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest?

Post  Marleysky Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Yea, ya gotta have some fun with those non Cox engines. No sponsor, no prize? Bragging rights only? Would you have to be the “owner” or just lucky enough to find a picture on the internet of a cool engine?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:30 pm

If there were such a contest, it would be better to set limits on say, size. The largest non-Schneurle Cox was the Tee Dee and Medallion .15, if we don't include Leroy Cox's early tether car engines. So, .15 would make practical sense for an upper limit. I'd say it would be best to keep the prize very simple. It would be more for the honor than it would be for the prize.
By narrowing the playing field might help to keep the contest on a reasonably even keel, IMO. Huh... Tired w/ Coffee Read Computer Issues Popcorn drunken Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Lets not call it a contest. Maybe just start a thread dedicated to people showing off whatever engine they like. Only limit is that the engine was intended for model use.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Marleysky wrote:Yea, ya gotta have some fun with those non Cox engines. No sponsor, no prize? Bragging rights only? Would you have to be the “owner” or just lucky enough to find a picture on the internet of a cool engine?  

I think the competition would be pointless if one could enter just any pic found in the interwebs.

In my opinion it should be an engine that the participant either owns or has owned. Picture taken by the participant or a friend, family member, no glamour shots in paid studios (we all take our engines to those, don’t we). Besides the picture, maybe it would also be interesting to have a short story about the engine?

And of course, it should be limited to functional model engines Smile

Maybe we could dedicate one month of the ”Engine of the Month” contest for non-Cox engines? Just thinking out loud.

EDIT: Oldenginerod’s idea is the best so far IMO. Maybe those who want, can ”vote” by using the green thumb button?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm

The green like is a great idea. Can still start a new thread each month for non Cox EOM. The picture with the most likes is the winner. The only cutoff date is the last day of the month meaning new pictures could be added till the last day. One submission per month per member.

I would agree the engine must be one you or a family member owns.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Img_2310

OK I'm in Dooling with mag
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Jason_WI wrote:The green like is a great idea. Can still start a new thread each month for non Cox EOM. The picture with the most likes is the winner. The only cutoff date is the last day of the month meaning new pictures could be added till the last day. One submission per month per member.

I would agree the engine must be one you or a family member owns.

Yes, most likes is the winner is a good idea. No limit in engine capacity would be good. It is simply has same rules with Cox EoM rules. Very Happy This Site Rocks!
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Since it would most likely be based on likes can we vote more than once or should there be a limit on how many times we can vote. There have been lots of contests where I could've voted multiple times.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:51 pm

fit90 wrote:Since it would most likely be based on likes can we vote more than once or should there be a limit on how many times we can vote. There have been lots of contests where I could've voted multiple times.

Bob

You basically would nullify your vote by liking 2 engines. Creating a poll with all the pictures takes time. K.I.S.S. method works best.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Restrict it to .075 displacement and under.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Huh... I'm watching this thread Eyebrows seeing some good ideas. I've still been thinking about the video of the month that was proposed awhile back.

Actually setting the poll up doesn't take too much time (I have templates typed up). I do like the idea of using the post likes.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 pm

fit90 wrote:Since it would most likely be based on likes can we vote more than once or should there be a limit on how many times we can vote. There have been lots of contests where I could've voted multiple times.

Bob

I'm pretty sure that once you "like" a post you can't vote again. The green thumbs-up sign goes dull once voted.

I'm not in favour of an engine size limit, but I do agree that the engine and picture must be yours.  A story of the engine's history (as far as you know) would be good.
As I mentioned previously, in my opinion the engine must have been manufactured for model/hobby use.

Again, here we are discussing a new "competition" while we continue to neglect/ignore other existing competitions. Tach Race, Profile Reed Speed, Fly It if you Got It PT-19, current Speed Comp. etc etc. Even the Cox Engien of the Month doesn't get anywhere near the participation it should, particularly from voting members. If this idea is just kept on a casual basis, then it doesn't matter if it fades away. We have nothing to lose, whereas something like the Speed comps tie people up building & preparing planes, only to end up with very limited competition because everyone else has gone off on a tangent. Well done to all those who participate and make the effort, but sadly many of these things just fade away. Less rules and consequenses = more potential participation.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:08 pm

You can like each post once, and you cannot unlike a post after liking it. Also cannot like your own post.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Empty Valentine Nano Bee

Post  ukanduit Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:46 am

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Dsc_3810
According to Ron, this is the very last Nano Bee.
ukanduit
ukanduit
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
fit90 wrote:

I'm not in favour of an engine size limit, but I do agree that the engine and picture must be yours.  A story of the engine's history (as far as you know) would be good.

As I mentioned previously, in my opinion the engine must have been manufactured for model/hobby use.  

Even the Cox Engine of the Month doesn't get anywhere near the participation it should, particularly from voting members.  If this idea is just kept on a casual basis, then it doesn't matter if it fades away.  We have nothing to lose, whereas something like the Speed comps tie people up building & preparing planes, only to end up with very limited competition because everyone else has gone off on a tangent.  Well done to all those who participate and make the effort, but sadly many of these things just fade away. Less rules and consequences = more potential participation.

X2 Rod.

Agreed, no size limit, etc.

Set it up like the engine of the month, up to say 10 engines?  If nothing else we get to view different engines in different settings.

Personally and seriously I would contribute something like this:

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? Art_en10

Who says all engines submitted should be beautiful sterile examples......Just interesting in various ways.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:07 am

McCoy .35 Red Head turned black. Who says that brunettes don't have more fun?  Laughing  Wink  Warm
Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? S-1_mc10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:28 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:McCoy .35 Red Head turned black. Who says that brunettes don't have more fun?  Laughing  Wink  Warm
Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? S-1_mc10

Smile Smile I Love This Forum!

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I have been thinking about a non-Cox engine thread for a while and was hoping something would generate out of this thread, not necessarily a competition but just a thread that produces discussion about other makes of model engines like the “Recent Acquisition” thread does. I can’t be the only one with a cabinet full of other makes of model engines (55 at last count) and there seems to be similar thinking in the comments here.
I think it was Ian1954 who used to post engines (from his collection?) which I found very interesting so I have taken the engine by the prop, so to speak, and started a “Show and Tell” thread.
Might bring back memories, might create some, might get comments like “I had one of those”, I always wanted one of those”, “those things were rubbish” or “Jeez they were fast but so temperamental” or in my case “You paid how much!!!” Shocked

Oh well.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:32 am

Uncle Wayne's "Hope .19" engine.  It found it's way to him back in the 1960's...included in a box of assorted engines he bought for $5.

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? 1_44

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? 2_49

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? 4_33

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? 5_25

Non-Cox Engine of the Month Contest? 11_19
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 am

I'm a little surprised that they recommended 25% nitro for an engine such as the HOPE. Normally for that size and vintage engine I would have thought 5%-10%. 25% would give it some "pep".
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:45 pm

The Hope line of engines is rather obscure, Kim has an unusual find. History of the engine is described in:

modelenginenews.org: A Forgotten Japanese Range: The Hope Engines

They didn't have much success in marketing outside Japan, stopped production around 1960. Cast case puts engine as early as 1952. Perhaps a US serviceman brought back an engine after a tour in Japan? This engine would definitely have potential in winning a non-Cox engine contest.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 pm

Weren't these sold by AHC in the mid 60's really cheap? Looks a lot like a Forester?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Weren't these sold by AHC in the mid 60's really cheap? Looks a lot like a Forester?

Gonna look through their ad pages in some of my magazines, seems like I did see Hope Engines listed, but can't remember for sure.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum