Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another proposed design by Roddie Cox_ba12

Another proposed design by Roddie Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another proposed design by Roddie Empty
Live on Patrol

Another proposed design by Roddie

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Thinking Another proposed design by Roddie

Post  roddie Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 pm

I've had the urge to design another simple 1/2A C/L sheet-wing/profile model for Cox .049 reed-valve power. My last few designs in this class have been smaller models (overall).. than most others, that I designed in my early years. I want to continue that "smaller trend". It started with the 1st CEF Speed Contest conceived in 2013.. when I scaled-down a Grumman F8F-2 to meet the contest criteria. That turned-out to be a fairly small model.. but it was heavy for its size. No big deal for a Speed-model. Next came the T33, P38 and tiny "Flying-Blind". Although finished; (for the most part..) none of those four have flown. None were built to be static-models.. I just really like the designing/building-aspect. My designs usually balance close-to where they should when RTF.

This next design will be a monoplane with futuristic lines.. some being an "illusion" created in the finishing-process.

I'm envisioning something in the same class as the Goldberg "Stuntman 23" or Sig "Skyray".. but more modernized.. a tad smaller.. with a smaller 20-21" wingspan.. but a larger chord. The tail-moment may also be shorter than either of those two designs.

I will create a B.O.M. and check stock on the materials before drawing-out some contours of components. The construction is a planned balsawood one.. with some hardwood/plywood components in key areas of construction.

I'll post more progress as it happens.. but I plan on naming this design; "Fulcrum"..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Another proposed design by Roddie

Post  NEW222 Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Sounds good, and like a neat looking model. Just trying to envision something here.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 pm

NEW222 wrote:Sounds good, and like a neat looking model. Just trying to envision something here.

I'll work-up some sketches.. and post a photo soon, when I come up with something I like.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking fulcrum..

Post  roddie Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:50 pm

fulcrum trim colors..

Another proposed design by Roddie Fulcru10

fulcrum Acoustic company model-airplane design-2019

Another proposed design by Roddie Images10
Another proposed design by Roddie Logo-a10

fulcrum Acoustic is the company that I've been working for since 3/18. We make speaker-enclosures.. and most are wood cabinets. Baltic-Birch plywood of 12, 15 and 18mm. construction. H/D audio.. Cool   cooool stuff; especially if you're a musician. I'm both a musician and hobbyist... so this model-project is a crosslink.

I especially like the meaning of fulcrum; when applied to aeronautics/model-aeronautics. I'm hoping to echo that thought in my design.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:35 pm

I haven't forgotten about this little project.. and that's precisely what it is; a "little" project.. which I'll try to keep simple. The "airframe" is leaning-toward a 1/2A U-control sport-model in the spirit of the Carl Goldberg models that were once offered in that class.  

The planned-engine will be a Cox .049 reed-valve "Product" engine.. in that; the engine will utilize an external fuel-delivery.

The airframe-construction will be lighter-weight than what I typically design.. but it will be a simple slab-wing type model.

I've been reviewing construction-materials/methods.. and am settling on a lighter-weight design which may not "hold-up" to pilot-error.. but may "pay-off" with agility.

Here's the profile fuse that I came up with tonight. It's 3/16" hard balsa. A symmetrical shape of 10" in length, 1.5" height at the nose.. and .500" at the tail. A .750" centerline for the 1/8" sheet-balsa wing and stab. cut-outs.

Another proposed design by Roddie 20190143

More to come...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Sometimes lighter weight pays off with less damage if an accidental impact occurs.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm considering a 1/8" balsa sheet-wing of 21" span with a root-chord of 4" for an approx. area of 80-84 sq. in.

Another proposed design by Roddie Sheet-10

The stab-span is planned at 9".. with a root-chord of 2.25" for an approx. area of 19-20 sq. in.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Looks nice and simple. You can also do whatever you like to teh wing or tail tips as well to make it 'yours'.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:23 pm

NEW222 wrote:Looks nice and simple. You can also do whatever you like to the wing or tail tips as well to make it 'yours'.

Hey Chancey.. Thumbs Up  I appreciate your attention to my efforts bro. Smile and you "called-it" in regards to the design-work.. and making it "my own".

As I stated earlier though.. With this model; I'm drawing some design-cues from the 1970's Goldberg 1/2A control-line models that were designed for the Cox reed-valve (Pee Wee .020, Babe Bee/Golden Bee .049) engines.. such as the "Swordsman 18" and the "Stuntman 23" balsawood-kit model-airplanes. Those were fun models that flew really good.. when compared to any of the Cox plastic RTF control-line models.

The exception "here" will be that this model will utilize a Cox .049 "Product-Engine" with an external fuel tank.

That said; the dimensions for this airplane will be somewhere in-between the Goldberg "Swordsman 18" and the "Stuntman 23".. with its' slab-wing and stab. on the fuses' centerline.. (are you picturing it?) and the wing's L/E is right-up at the fuses' nose. It will have a landing-gear in a tail-dragger configuration with .062" music-wire inverted-"V" mains with a nice little pair of hardwood wheels on its' axles.. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself "here".. but I started to draw-out the design this afternoon.

Another proposed design by Roddie 20190215

The 1/8" balsa sheet-wing is a rough 21" span and 4" chord. The "French-Curves" are fun to use when you're designing. I will use them to draw some unique contours to the wing-tips and stabilizer.. to give my model a signature design.. and possibly some favorable flight-characteristics. (you get what I'm talking about.. right?)

This 1/2A C/L 1/8" balsa slab-wing design is not unlike any of my others.. except that I'm using a few Goldberg design-cues. This will result in a lighter-weight model.. and hopefully one that's easier to build too. We'll see....
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:34 pm

I used simple-round objects to make my wing-tip contours on the plan..

Another proposed design by Roddie 20190216

2.5"R. on the leading-edge and 3.5" on the trailing-edge..

My sheet-wing was made from 1/8" sheet balsa. The 4" chord was made-up from a 3"width sheet, with a 1" width sheet edge-glued to it using thick CA.

Another proposed design by Roddie 20190217

I hang a box-fan behind me, running on low-speed for ventilation. I have developed a respiratory allergy to cyanoacrylate (Super-Glue) adhesives.. so I take some precautions.

I lay-out wax-paper beneath the pieces to be joined.. and have bicarbonate of soda (baking-soda) handy, which works as an accelerator for the CA glue.

I will transfer my proposed radii markings to this wing-panel.. and then lay-out the stabilizer. More to come..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:26 pm

It is now getting that much closer to being a reality instead of a drawing now.... Very Happy I like the french curves. A little while ago, about a year, some very knowledgable person here happend to suggest having a set was a good thing and I did heed their advice and picked myself up a set...... And glad I did as I actually used them a few times on little things. Anyways, nice to see it coming along.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:21 pm

You build 'em roddie and I fix 'em. Smile Both adventures are a lot of fun.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:54 pm

NEW222 wrote:It is now getting that much closer to being a reality instead of a drawing now.... Very Happy  I like the french curves. A little while ago, about a year, some very knowledgable person here happend to suggest having a set was a good thing and I did heed their advice and picked myself up a set...... And glad I did as I actually used them a few times on little things. Anyways, nice to see it coming along.

Hey Chancey.. Cool ... these "modeling moments of clarity" or MMOC.. Laughing are far and few between for me lately. I'm trying to roll with it though. Sometimes the designing/building energy comes out "physically".. (like it has in the last few days..) and may sustain. Let's hope that it does. "Mentally".. construction-methods are on my mind daily.. but "physically"; it can often be weeks to months, before I pick-up on where I left-off with a model-design/build... Rolling Eyes

The French curves are a great designing tool.. aren't they"? Thumbs Up I'm glad that you got them. Some people can draw beautiful flowing-lines "freehand".. but I'm not one of them.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am

Yeah Brother , i see your on a roll with a new / ole design i bee watching Popcorn Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

rsv1cox wrote:You build 'em roddie and I fix 'em. Smile  Both adventures are a lot of fun.

Bob

Yes Sir, Robert! The "flying" used to be an adventure too... and I will getback to it; come hell or high-water.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm

NEW222 wrote:It is now getting that much closer to being a reality instead of a drawing now.... Very Happy  I like the french curves. A little while ago, about a year, some very knowledgable person here happend to suggest having a set was a good thing and I did heed their advice and picked myself up a set...... And glad I did as I actually used them a few times on little things. Anyways, nice to see it coming along.

Yea.. I'm quoting you a "second-time" Chancey. Those French curves will be used when I design the final contours to the profile-fuse. The contours will likely be subtle.. but drawing a profile-canopy is a LOT easier with a French curve. You can also draw a nice "belly-pan" that may span from nose-to-tail using a narrow piece of scrap balsa if it's long-enough. That little extra contour; however slight.. can make a HUGE difference over a "boxy" straight-line.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm

Slots cut for the 1/8" balsa sheet-wing and stab.

Another proposed design by Roddie Fuse_w10

The next step has traditionally been drawing the stab./elev. contours and laying-out the design on the wood.

This is a "short-coupled" design.. (purposely) to satisfy my curiosity. Most of my latest aero-designs aren't.. with the exception of the F8F-2 Rare Bear that I designed/built for the 1st CEF Speed Contest.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 pm

I was able to lay-out the stab. elev. contours before the start of President Trump's "State of the Union Address"! Clapping

Another proposed design by Roddie Stab_e12

The elevs'. chord is .75" so I chose a 1.5" radius for its' tip-contour. The stabs.' chord is 2.25" and I wanted to give its' L/E a BIG curve... reminiscent of the Sterling Ringmaster. The assembly's span is 9" and I ended-up calculating What? a 11.25" radius, to arrive at a curve which intersected the three points which I needed it to.

I made a simple fixture with a 5.125" arc to draw it.

Another proposed design by Roddie Radius10

People with more mechanical-drawing experience could explain it better.. but I think most of you can understand what I did.. to get the results that I needed.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:21 pm

I am really liking the outlines. The shapes are very unnatural to what I envisioned, and for that I like them even more. I think what I like most about them is the very roundness of the tail surfaces and the wingtips tied in with the squareness of the triangular fuselage.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 pm

NEW222 wrote:I am really liking the outlines. The shapes are very unnatural to what I envisioned, and for that I like them even more. I think what I like most about them is the very roundness of the tail surfaces and the wingtips tied in with the squareness of the triangular fuselage.

Thanks very much Chancey.. but keep in mind; I've been prototyping my fuses with straight lines initially lately. This fuse will have a canopy, fin/rudder and a belly-contour which will make it look a lot different.

Here's how the wing and stab fit-into the slots cut for them in the fuse.

Another proposed design by Roddie 1st_fi10

It's sort-of a "teaser".. but not really. I like to "fit-up" these components as early as possible, to get some perspective on what I've drawn.

Another proposed design by Roddie 1st_fi11

The next phase will be designing the nose reinforcement/engine-mounting. There will be a landing-gear; in a tail-dragger configuration. The "mains" will be built-into the engine-mounting.. and will likely be an inverted-"V" design, made from 1/16" music-wire.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 am

Coming along nicely I like the curves you are using, did you say u were going to use a product engine with a ext. tank :?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 pm

getback wrote:Coming along nicely I like the curves you are using, did you say u were going to use a product engine with a ext. tank :?

Thank You Eric.. and "yes".. that's the plan. I'm working on a nose-design/engine-mount with a firewall to accept either the Cox .049 horseshoe backplate or a Bee-style (tanked) engine.

The engine-mount will be at the wings' leading-edge.. but I have some simple ideas for adjusting the CG to accommodate varying engine-weight/length.

Many of my previous designs have excessive wing-area.. and are too heavy for a "stock" Cox .049 reed-valve engine.. to perform more advanced aerobatics. I'm designing this model to be "nimble".. with a finished RTF target-weight of 4.5oz. (including the L/G struts..)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:59 pm

I like it roddie. Following your build.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking engine-mounting W.I.P.

Post  roddie Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:27 pm

I pre-build these parts for when inspiration strikes.

Another proposed design by Roddie Materi11

Granted.. I often make extra parts during a build.. for possible use on a similar/successive one.

The square hardwood blocks are what accept wood-screws for mounting the engine. They run vertically behind the plywood firewall-plate assembly, either side of the fuse-stock at the nose. I will include ply-wood doublers running 1/2-way back into the wing-chord (2") both; for some extra strength.. and to also increase the fuse-width for the blocks to "square-up" with the ply-firewall plate-assy.

Last edited by roddie on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:32 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I like it roddie.  Following your build.

Bob

Thank You Robert. Thumbs Up I hope to have more photos of the progress, later this afternoon. I try to post photos whenever I can, which helps to keep interest.. as opposed to text.. where it can be hard to envision what's in my mind. I appreciate when you people take an interest in my efforts.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next