Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» .15 glow head shapes...
by ffkiwi Today at 10:51 pm

» Did someone here get the Black SB jr. ?
by Admin Today at 9:20 pm

» Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09
by 1/2A Nut Today at 8:58 pm

» Ordered a 1/2A Skyray kit
by TLAnderson Today at 8:47 pm

» PIYURIN .010
by 1/2A Nut Today at 8:13 pm

» Take a look-see at what I got bottom fishing on Ebay
by ffkiwi Today at 2:15 pm

» New Limited Edition Engine
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:13 pm

» Used RR1 for $121
by aungmyatoo Today at 9:57 am

» My Southridge CNC Hyper Viper build
by getback Today at 8:33 am

» Recent engine acquisitions
by getback Today at 6:49 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2019
Jason_WI's

"Cox Pee Wee .020 with 3D printed horseshoe backplate"

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Another proposed design by Roddie

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Thinking Re: Another proposed design by Roddie

Post  roddie on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:49 pm

NEW222 wrote:I like that idead of putting the weight in teh wing. I do similar, but instead use 5 minute epoxy. I didn't think that filler would be strng enough and did not want it to fall out. Now after seeing yours, I am now going to change my ways.....

Chancey.. I understand your concerns. I'm not sure if the wood-filler will hold-up either. It doesn't seem that much stronger than the wall-board/joint-compound that you mentioned using for a filler. Aside from the colour, it may be the same; chemically.

I knew that I'd want to sand any filler flush with the wing.. and that is working-out nicely. As far as the filler-material fracturing is concerned.. I had a thought. Apply sm. round iron-on patches top/bottom prior to finishing. Scuff-sand the patches with fine abrasive to de-gloss.. and resume the sealing/priming process.

Epoxies and CA/instant-glues are convenient.. but I'm learning that you need to apply them where you won't have to SAND the surrounding surface.. (unless it's steel.. Laughing  )

Here are the top/bottom wing-surfaces after sanding the "DAP" wood-filler flush with the 1/8" balsa sheet-wing.

You'd never know that there's a steel flat-washer inside that wing. Maybe I need my head examined for going to these lengths.. but that's another story..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:25 pm

That's a good looking fix roddie and should hold, especially after you get it sealed and painted.

Heck, so many of my (and others here) planes have spackling filling crevasses and never had a problem coming loose after many years.

My latest Firebaby clone has spackling compound around the grooved in hinges and I'm not worried about it not holding. I think spackling would have worked just as well and might have been lighter. But, heavier is what you were looking for there.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 pm

rsv1cox wrote:That's a good looking fix roddie and should hold, especially after you get it sealed and painted.

Heck, so many of my (and others here) planes have spackling filling crevasses and never had a problem coming loose after many years.

My latest Firebaby clone has spackling compound around the grooved in hinges and I'm not worried about it not holding. I think spackling would have worked just as well and might have been lighter.  But, heavier is what you were looking for there.

Bob

Thanks for your words Robert. Smile I have used spackle-filler. I thought that the wood-filler would be a little tougher for this application.. but it sands-out quite easily.

I will still apply iron-on patches top/bottom.. which will give me peace of mind. If the tip-weight comes-loose and falls-out during a flight, it would likely cause control-issues.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking Just some thoughts..

Post  roddie on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 pm

I often question my aero-modelling methods. Those of you who know me.. would likely describe me as scatterbrained. That's ok.. because I know that I am. I am very thankful for all of my friends "here" who support my efforts.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Rest assured that if your tip weight falls out, it's not going to cause a loss of control. If it comes out during flight it will almost be unrecognized until the power cuts and your landing where the inboard tip may drop slightly on glide. I have had models where I didn't even use any tip weight. It was removed when I found the outboard wing hinging on the lines due to too much. Were talking 4 grams here not ounces. I'm not saying to forego tip weight, I'm just stating that when one uses Spectra or the likes of, less tip weight is needed.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Ken Cook wrote:        Rest assured that if your tip weight falls out, it's not going to cause a loss of control. If it comes out during flight it will almost be unrecognized until the power cuts and your landing where the inboard tip may drop slightly on glide. I have had models where I didn't even use any tip weight. It was removed when I found the outboard wing hinging on the lines due to too much. Were talking 4 grams here not ounces. I'm not saying to forego tip weight, I'm just stating that when one uses Spectra or the likes of, less tip weight is needed.

Good to know.. and "thank you" Ken. I'm currently trying to work-out a balloon-tank for the "external-tank" variation of this model. I found some fuel-line with a .075" inside diameter. It's a nice snug fit on the engines' NVA. I will plumb the entire balloon tank using this tubing. I think that a balloon-tank will be easier to adapt to this airframe, than a hard-tank. We shall see....
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6