Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Cox_ba12

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Empty
Live on Patrol

The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it!

Go down

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Empty The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it!

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Went at it with an - "It's either you or me attitude."

Wasn't easy. Three day soak of the back plate in Simple Green didn't loosen it. Heat gun, same thing. Butane torch w/sewing needle, burned fingers - ya!

The torch loosened the insert allowing me to remove it but the broken needle tip remained. More torch and pushed the tip against a hard surface pushing it back into the insert followed by a needle pushing it all the way out.

Thing is trashed, probably never to be used again. But Kim to the rescue with a replacement plate.

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Cox_ne13

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Cox_ne14

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Cox_ne15

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Cox_ne16

Someone had really screwed that needle in tight. I don't think that it was ever castor locked.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Empty Re: The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it!

Post  NEW222 Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Well, with persistance, you got it. I had never seen one apart before. I had a feeling that teh new plastic style backplates would have an insert, but I did not know that the metal ones did. I would have only thought that the metal backplates were threaded without an insert. I guess one could put the insert in and use a tiny bit of JB Weld to hold it in and reuse it. Unless there is something I do not see.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Empty Re: The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it!

Post  roddie Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Geez Robert... Shocked I admire your tenacity, when it comes to dealing with broken/seized/frozen/rusted/corroded/melted/jammed/wrecked/stripped/galled/played/clapped-out/abused/severed/smashed/crashed/dilapidated items. (did I leave anything out?) Laughing

That said; you're an inspiration to me.. and I know that you know that! Thumbs Up

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Way to go Bob!
If there’s a will, there’s a way.
Sorry you had to ruin the backplate, but the experience was worth it.
Maybe you can save it, with some JB weld like New says.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Your patience is admirable, I would have pounded it out with a ball-peen hammer a while ago.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Is the casting no-good now? Those vintage Zamac/Mazac (?) castings are preferred over the olefin (plastic) ones which are being produced currently.

I've never removed the NVA (threaded-insert) from a "tank" backplate. I guess I'm fortunate; in that the one's I have, are all in decent condition.. with the exception of one which has a malformed fuel-nipple..

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! 5-25-112

The pot-metal backplates are also a much stronger radial engine-mounting than the newer (replacement) plastic ones. You can also utilize them as a "carburetor-only" back-plate... and forgo all the pesky leaks involved with the Bee-engines' 5-8cc tank-bowls.. and their associated sealing-problems.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:41 am

You're probably right Bob, that needle had most likely snapped already when going in and over-tightened. No way to get it out with the insert in place.

I have a couple of junk backplates, have to try and see how the insert comes off.

Thanks for sharing again another learning experience Thumbs Up
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 am

roddie wrote:Geez Robert... Shocked  I admire your tenacity, when it comes to dealing with broken/seized/frozen/rusted/corroded/melted/jammed/wrecked/stripped/galled/played/clapped-out/abused/severed/smashed/crashed/dilapidated items. (did I leave anything out?)  Laughing

That said; you're an inspiration to me.. and I know that you know that!  Thumbs Up

Thanks roddie, I think you have about covered it.  Smile

I gathered the parts together this morning and put them in a small plastic bag.  Maybe I can save it, maybe not.  It will be a learning experience.

Thanks to all for your support and comments.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:52 am

cheers You got it out well kind of like all of it tongue do you think the back plate warped from the heat ? May sit it against a true tank and see .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:18 pm

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks CB, bought it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm

Like finding a needle in a haystack lol!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:53 pm

crankbndr wrote:Like finding a needle in a haystack lol!

Smile Smile

Yes, I really do appreciate you thinking about me on this. Makes another one of those W-196 cars complete.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:52 pm

I have "eye-ball" noticed on some occasions when working on a batch of two or three Bees at a time that the NV inserts in some of the metal back plates seem to have been set at varying depths in the back plate. All the engines in the batch ran OK after a complete tear down and cleaning. Go figure.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:52 am

I cleaned up the back plate and re set the insert this morning.

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Back_p10

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Back_p12

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Back_p11

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Back_p13

needle valve - The stuck broken Cox needle tip in the back plate - Got it! Back_p14

I cleaned the opening for the insert with wired pipe cleaners and the housing with metal cleaner then seated the insert with a vice then tapped it in flush with a tapping hammer. It bottoms out on the supporting ledge at the bottom keeping the hole in alignment with the orifice for the pickup tube.

Ran compressed air through it and air came out at all the proper places.

I think it will work, but I need to mount it on an engine to verify.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:23 am

Good job. I was really wondering if it would be as easy as it appeared or was there something silly that we missed. Glad it appears to have worked out well. Will be waiting patiently for the test run.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down