Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


049 Muffler Babe_b10
Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2019
jmcalata's

"Pee Wee .020 throttled combinated"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


049 Muffler Empty
World of Aviation

049 Muffler

Go down

049 Muffler Empty 049 Muffler

Post  SteveM on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:43 am

Hey all,
Picked up this muffler on ebay, honestly couldn't resist the price.
Please provide any and all info you can as I am not familiar with this type...

049 Muffler A111
049 Muffler A210
SteveM
SteveM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-11-27
Age : 55
Location : Palatine, Illinois

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  Marleysky on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:07 am



Last edited by Marleysky on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Diagram)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

Posts : 2408
Join date : 2014-09-28
Age : 67
Location : Grand Rapids, MI

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  GallopingGhostler on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 am

Marleysky wrote:
SteveM wrote:Hey all, Picked up this muffler on ebay, honestly couldn't resist the price. Please provide any and all info you can as I am not familiar with this type...
Yours has just the one litte hole for exhaust, some had a oval tube extension, and some had the 1/2 circle spring clip to open for priming the cylinder. This is located under the instructions sheets:

https://dbabd7f0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/nitroengine/Cox%20Muffler.pdf

Could it be this one?

http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=18099

049 Muffler Dsc_0010

049 Muffler Dsc_0011

I don't know if these later used on RTF's, simplified to reduce production costs or were made from left over parts when Estes Engines folded and inventory bought out, or by Cox International, Canada doing an aftermarket production run.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2129
Join date : 2013-07-13
Age : 65
Location : Clovis, New Mexico

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  EXModelEngines on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Marleysky wrote:
SteveM wrote:Hey all, Picked up this muffler on ebay, honestly couldn't resist the price. Please provide any and all info you can as I am not familiar with this type...
Yours has just the one litte hole for exhaust, some had a oval tube extension, and some had the 1/2 circle spring clip to open for priming the cylinder. This is located under the instructions sheets:

https://dbabd7f0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/nitroengine/Cox%20Muffler.pdf

Could it be this one?

http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=18099

049 Muffler Dsc_0010

049 Muffler Dsc_0011

I don't know if these later used on RTF's, simplified to reduce production costs or were made from left over parts when Estes Engines folded and inventory bought out, or by Cox International, Canada doing an aftermarket production run.

We manufactured these as aftermarket accessories for the engines, modeled after the ones which were used on some of the later CL planes. While the ones with the extension pipe would be nice, we have not found a cost effective solution to making them at this point. Possible solution would be to eliminate the ratchet spring on the OD and press/rivet a extension pipe, but have other projects in front of that at the moment.

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 661
Join date : 2011-06-07
Location : Central CT, USA

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  SteveM on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:58 pm

EXModelEngines wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:
Marleysky wrote:
SteveM wrote:Hey all, Picked up this muffler on ebay, honestly couldn't resist the price. Please provide any and all info you can as I am not familiar with this type...
Yours has just the one litte hole for exhaust, some had a oval tube extension, and some had the 1/2 circle spring clip to open for priming the cylinder. This is located under the instructions sheets:

https://dbabd7f0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/nitroengine/Cox%20Muffler.pdf

Could it be this one?

http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=18099

049 Muffler Dsc_0010

049 Muffler Dsc_0011

I don't know if these later used on RTF's, simplified to reduce production costs or were made from left over parts when Estes Engines folded and inventory bought out, or by Cox International, Canada doing an aftermarket production run.

We manufactured these as aftermarket accessories for the engines, modeled after the ones which were used on some of the later CL planes. While the ones with the extension pipe would be nice, we have not found a cost effective solution to making them at this point. Possible solution would be to eliminate the ratchet spring on the OD and press/rivet a extension pipe, but have other projects in front of that at the moment.

Matt

Thanks, this is the muffler i received.
SteveM
SteveM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-11-27
Age : 55
Location : Palatine, Illinois

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  GallopingGhostler on Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 pm

Glad you got your answer, Steve. And thanks, Matt of Ex Model Engines for clarifying its origin. For a time, Bernie was selling them, too, so I thought he may have been the originator.

They looked quality enough to be a genuine Cox item prior to Estes. For the price of those who need mufflers, they are a good bargain. Regarding lack of exhaust pipe or streamlined exhaust pipe stack, I think that is more cosmetic than anything else, plus adds weight however minute.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2129
Join date : 2013-07-13
Age : 65
Location : Clovis, New Mexico

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  getback on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:40 am

I didnt know that you were to pull back the lever to prime ?? DUH not being a muffler man on small engines O well Tanks Mark.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Posts : 6339
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 62
Location : julian

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  EXModelEngines on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Glad you got your answer, Steve. And thanks, Matt of Ex Model Engines for clarifying its origin. For a time, Bernie was selling them, too, so I thought he may have been the originator.

They looked quality enough to be a genuine Cox item prior to Estes. For the price of those who need mufflers, they are a good bargain. Regarding lack of exhaust pipe or streamlined exhaust pipe stack, I think that is more cosmetic than anything else, plus adds weight however minute.

I believe Bernie made some as well, prior to us. Quality should be indistinguishable (I hope!)
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 661
Join date : 2011-06-07
Location : Central CT, USA

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

049 Muffler Empty Re: 049 Muffler

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum