Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Bird Houses anyone? Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2019
robot797's

"cox 049 gasoline"

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Bird Houses anyone? Empty
World of Aviation

Bird Houses anyone?

Go down

Bird Houses anyone? Empty Bird Houses anyone?

Post  roddie on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 pm

My mom bought my daughter a birdhouse for Christmas. A friend's "neighbor" (a retired man) builds and sells them.

Here's a photo of my daughter's birdhouse;

Bird Houses anyone? Img_1010

Well.. my birthday was this past week.. and my mom bought me a birdhouse that was made by the same man.

Here's what mine looks like..

Bird Houses anyone? 20190210
Bird Houses anyone? 20190211
Bird Houses anyone? 20190212
Bird Houses anyone? 20190213

The bottom of both houses are "framed/boxed" to receive a 4" x 4" post.

Bird Houses anyone? 20190214

Lynne and I enjoy feeding/watching the birds year-round.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Bird Houses anyone? Empty Re: Bird Houses anyone?

Post  944_Jim on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:12 pm

That's too cool! Does it look like your house?

My mom is on pumped well water (So GA). Taking a trig class, the teacher indicated we could exempt the test if we came up with a creative way to use trig...the only catch was we had to show the formulae.
I made a scale model of my mom's house to cover/heat the pump in the winter. Of course, I included the numbers for the angles in the valleys in the hip roofs, and the peak to walls, underside of the soffets, and pictures of the house...along with the pencil drawings of the house. Even the paint matched!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:27 am

944_Jim wrote:That's too cool! Does it look like your house?

No Jim, neither of the birdhouses bear any resemblance to our actual houses. I would have thought that the birdhouses would have been more expensive.. but my daughter's cost $30 and mine cost $40. The man who built them is retired. He built approx. 70 birdhouses last year. These were the "last two" that he had for sale.

944_Jim wrote:My mom is on pumped well water (So GA). Taking a trig class, the teacher indicated we could exempt the test if we came up with a creative way to use trig...the only catch was we had to show the formulae.
I made a scale model of my mom's house to cover/heat the pump in the winter. Of course, I included the numbers for the angles in the valleys in the hip roofs, and the peak to walls, underside of the soffets, and pictures of the house...along with the pencil drawings of the house. Even the paint matched!

Very interesting Jim! I was challenged by mathematics when I got into high school. It confused me.. and I never sought the extra help that I needed. I envy you and others who were able to grasp trig, calculus.. etc. Ironic that this hobby I love so much, is highly based on math..

Any chance that you still have those photos/pencil-drawings? I'd love to see them.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:51 pm

I have built many bird houses roddie, and they are spread around my property. No pictures, they just exist without drama. Bird feeders a different story.

I have built/bought many, but it's a constant fight to keep them safe with bears and squirrels in the neighborhood.

Bird Houses anyone? Bird_h10

Bird Houses anyone? Birdfe10

Bird Houses anyone? Bear_b10

Bird Houses anyone? Birdfe11

Bird Houses anyone? Bird_f11

Bird Houses anyone? Bird_f10

Bird Houses anyone? Bird_f12

Bird Houses anyone? Birds_11

Bird Houses anyone? Birds_10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Wrap a layer of metal flashing under that bucket where the squirrel is climbing. If they cannot hang on, they cannot chew the bucket away.

Fierce squirrels there.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Ah yes.. the squirrels. Huh... It's amazing to see how astute they are at problem-solving when it comes to getting food.

So far; my Roddie-re-engineered baffle has stopped them from getting any further up the pole to the Roddie-engineered deluxe bird feeding station.

I bought the steel "cone-type" pole-baffle on clearance at "Ocean State Job Lot". It was missing its' mounting-hardware.

Bird Houses anyone? Dsc03510

I ended up drilling-through my feeder-pole (1.5" EMT conduit) to install a "tension-spring" which would serve as a pivot for under the cone.

Bird Houses anyone? Dsc05110

The squirrels have not been able to defeat it. I now only need to top-off/refill the feeders every four or five days. Before I re-engineered the baffle-mount, the squirrels would gain-access to the cedar/trough-style feeder and empty it daily.. (probably within an hour) This was frustrating; as I was custom-blending expensive seed-mixes that contained nuts, berries sunflower and safflower "hearts". The squirrels would also knock the suet-baskets off the pole.. and try to drag them away.. if they didn't open from hitting the ground.  Mad

Bird Houses anyone? Flicke10
Bird Houses anyone? 20180711
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Birdhouses! Yea! Those were (still are) on my bucket list of hobbies to take up upon retirement. I have a stash of “ How To” books of Birdhouses and whirly-gigs. I inherited my FIL’s wood planer, joiner and dust collector. Just have not taken the time to set them all up properly. One of the retired old guys in my neighborhood of my youth, use to make batches of little birdhouses and sell them on a farmers stand out by the road. He got quite creative with the decoration on the window trim and porches. He was sold out quite often, with a “ put the money in the coffee can” trusting people to pay for what they took.  
Another thing I’ve been wanting to do is make a actual scale Airport style “Windsock”
....yup! As soon as i get a roundtoit!  lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:44 pm

pkrankow wrote:Wrap a layer of metal flashing under that bucket where the squirrel is climbing.  If they cannot hang on, they cannot chew the bucket away.

Fierce squirrels there.

Phil

Smile

So far no squirrel has been able to conquer the upside down bucket or former plant pot. Although that one plastic eating rodent (picture above) came rather close.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down