Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Cox_ba12

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Empty
Live on Patrol

"Received Damaged" -- This isn't going to end well..........

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Empty "Received Damaged" -- This isn't going to end well..........

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm

I thought as I looked at the box, and I was right.

Shipped from New Jersey, so it didn't have far to go.  It should have been delivered Saturday, I wondered why it spent two days at the  Dulles sorting facility.

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r10
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r12
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r11
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r13
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r15
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r17
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r18
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Se5a_r16

So much for that Lewis MG Fred.  Sad

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Empty Re: "Received Damaged" -- This isn't going to end well..........

Post  gkamysz Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Oh no, that's terrible.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Empty Re: "Received Damaged" -- This isn't going to end well..........

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Sorry Bob, I know the feeling. OTOH you excel at polishing turds. This should have made your day! Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Are those strut mounts plastic?
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Damn! Well that Sucks !! Jason to the rescue !! Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Jason_WI wrote:Are those strut mounts plastic?

First thing I thought of Jason. Smile

Yes, but it seems like a special kind of plastic, more rigid with no flex. Witness the breakage.

I have become rather adept at plastic repair, but this is different. May work, may not. I contacted the seller, the package was insured for how much I do not know. The model with shipping was close to $200. I asked for a full refund and to keep the model for parts. But, this is rare. I have never seen one like it and may never see another. Told them that.

I blame the PO and the PO. Seller should have printed FRAGILE in big red letters all over the box and not have packed it so tight within the bubble wrap. They did remove the prop and wheels and put them in a separate box.

Victor was right, it is a .060.

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Nib_me12
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Nib_me11
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Nib_me10

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 pm

The only packages I have ever received broken had “Fragile” written on it. For that reason I refuse to write fragile on anything going through USPS.

I am not pulling your leg either. Every package, I swear they have a bunch of bored teenagers working at the transfer stations.

Judging by the pictures, the seller made a good effort to protect it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Man I feel for you Bob.
Any way you look a it, it's a crying shame Sad
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Carbon fiber ABS filament is about as ridged as I can print for material. It’s light too.

An insurance claim may come out as the seller hopes as the shipping agent will always claim he didn’t package it properly. BTDT.

As mentioned if you want the model ask for significant discount.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:15 pm

So it's only the wing-struts that got damaged? If so; you're pretty lucky. I could never send a model through parcel-post.. because of the possibility that this could happen. It seems these days; that it's more a probability.. than a possibility. Mad

That model wasn't packaged well at all. It's a shame.. because the person who packed it up probably thought it would be fine. Here on this forum; we have seen numerous cases of destroyed parcels. The seller likely figured that there wouldn't be any damages.. and even insured the parcel.. probably against "loss".. rather than damage. Lesson learned X2
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss, Bob. Sad Yup, agreed Roddie, box wasn't well packed. No!

If I were the shipper, I would have carefully disassembled the upper wing and fragile cabine struts, landing gear and anything else that might not survive it being bounced around, packed them separately in the box. Then you wouldn't have had that result (unless they decided to run it over with a forklift. Doh! Some time back I received a UPS package with a boot print smack dab in the middle of it and resulting partially crushed box. tongue )

But I am sure you'll eventually come out on top. Hand Shake You've dealt with worse situations. Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Sorry to see and hear of this Bob. I have shipped wings a couple of times, and have always cringed when I drop them off for shipping. I too do not personally like shipping planes. Hopefully you and the seller can come to some sort of agreement.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 pm

If I'm shipping something a bit fragile I get a plastic container from the shop i.e. Tupperware type. You can get them square round rectangular for a few bucks. I just add it on to the cost and if I'm receiving I ask the sender to do the same. If the shipper's going to run the forklift over it it won't make any difference but those containers can handle a bit of rough treatment. Then I pack the container in a box of foam chips or the like. Shouldn't have to do this, people should take pride in their work but unfortunately life is what it is.
Awhile back a few postal workers were caught on camera giving parcels a hard time in their break just for fun.

Four or five years back I bought a Browning Monte Carlo shotgun stock from a shop in the US. They wouldn't ship gun parts overseas so I had it sent to a friend in California to ship on to me. Woodwork is a permissible export but it was just their policy. A week later my friend emails me to say the package arrived empty but stamped several times as received empty. It amazed me that no one seemed particularly worried that the contents had disappeared but the wrapping had to be tracked all the way.
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 pm

The shipping box looks like some low edge crush test 100% post consumer recycled fiber "one way" box (think the shipping box that has a dozen packages of toilet paper inside) that just wasn't up for this job.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Empty RE: Received Damaged---This isn't going to end well.........

Post  66 Malibu Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

AH Yes, I've seen that damage a number of times from the USPS ……
What happens is the package comes into the facility and by conveyor it is loaded on the top of a rotating carasell unit.
It then slides down the side in the vertical position and rides around until ……..wait for it !!!! a fifty pound safe pile drives it until it breaks open the box and all the stuff falls out !!!!!
It took them two days to gather it all up and re-tape the box....
Once a box of delicate airplane parts from NM got to me a week later all taped up and when I opened it the box was full of cabinet drawer pulls , 25 to be exact.
I wrote it off as a total loss and didn't even discuss with seller ...Not his fault !!!
You tax money at work !!!
Sorry Man......
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am

I think the ABS would work fine (your NOT going to fly it anyway) If the usps would take the $$ out of the employees pay for stupidness a lot would probably stop being that way .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 am

Sorry to see that Bob, looks like a decent airplane, it might have a silver lining in that you might settle up and still keep it? Thin super glue would be fine to repair struts for display and with your touch it looks like it would clean up nice. The four blade prop was usable for flight, i don't know if the two blade prop was included or not, good question.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 am

Greetings! Just curious .... what's the possibility of having those components 3-D printed Huh... ?

Jim
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 am

"I think the ABS would work fine (your NOT going to fly it anyway) If the usps would take the $$ out of the employees pay for stupidness a lot would probably stop being that way . "-- Getback

Have you ever been inside a USPS package sorting facility? There's more criminal stupidity inside than you can imagine. The postal inspectors arrest and fire the help faster than they can be rehired off the skreet.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Sorry to see that Bob, looks like a decent airplane, it might have a silver lining in that you might settle up and still keep it? Thin super glue would be fine to repair struts for display and with your touch it looks like it would clean up nice. The four blade prop was usable for flight, i don't know if the two blade prop was included or not, good question.

Thanks Mark,  Maybe that Plastic Weld you recommended would work.  It's pretty thin and works well attaching decals to plastic. But I have had great luck with regular old Testor's Red Tube plastic cement.

I heard from the seller.  She is giving me a complete refund and says - Keep the plane.  I am sending her all my pictures of the damaged box and airplane, she is hoping to recover some.  

This is getting worse.  The more I get into that model the more damage I find, but the more I like the model.  I tell you, it blows away any plastic C/L model I have ever found for engineering, detail, and construction.  I have to do a page on it.  

From the weighted nose piece, to the detailed pilot, to the functional shock absorbing landing gear, to the flexible press in elevator hinges, this thing is marvelous.

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora15
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora16
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora14
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora18
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora17

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Maybe some black carbon fiber for struts? Free makes this a sweet deal.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 pm

that might of been the other Mark, i'd go super glue,  thin or maybe medium might be better? I rebuilt a badly busted up Comet Starfighter using super glue, would taken forever with anything else.

interesting, also i noticed the nose weight, I've only had the kit Se-5a and didn't know the RTF gas powered used a nose weight.

yep, Aurora really designed some nice scale planes, Aurora designed for scale and used a bunch of lead, Cox made 'em to fly and moved the wing, p-51, p-40, Helldiver, etc.

The plastic pilots were painted by Aurora employees who would take them home and paint them in their spare time for extra money.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:27 pm

Looking like it is coming along Bob. She is now in good hands. But I noticed one thing in your engine-in-pieces picture. Would it at all be possible please to get a better picture of your reed? Even if still attached in the tank front. I have an .049 Aurora Torpedo that had reed problems, and yours is totally different, and I do believe that they had changed at some point. With a picture, I would like to try to re-create that style reed and give it another go. Thank you, and keep up all the good work!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 pm

i'm not sure of date, likely very early 60's after Aurora bought K&B (1960) and after their much advertised 'Flex-O-Matic' valve design.

I gotta wonder if a brass Babe Bee reed would work?

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... 20170513
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Second11
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Tornad11
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 am

Looks like Mark has both of us set up Chancey.  But, I have both, a .049 and .060 and will do an exploratory and let you know, dimensions etc.

Here's pictures of the pilot and nose piece on the Aurora Mark.  Both nicely done.

I'm naming the pilot "Douglas Bader" after the WW2 British Spitfire ace who had both of his legs amputated after an accident before the war and still flew combat missions against the Luftwaffe.

Most interesting:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=13plXP_FHJTo9AO545TgBA&q=douglas+bader+disability&oq=douglas+bad&gs_l=psy-ab.1.3.0l10.58.8824..14484...3.0..0.335.1747.9j1j2j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0i10.qarJHQw1vlI

"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora19
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora20
"Received Damaged"  -- This isn't going to end well.......... Aurora21

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next