Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Empty Re: Ringmaster Jr Kit S5

Post  NEW222 Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Apparently all white planes are now the in thing. Here's my Lil Jumpin Bean. All kidding aside, I sprayed the white last fall. I did not yet decide the other colors. I may just stripe it.
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Ljb10

Last edited by NEW222 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:04 pm

Sorry I forgot the in-between photos, but I have installed the rear sheeting along the TE. As well, I made and installed a 1/8" aircraft ply bellcrank mount and installed it with epoxy. I then made a bellcrank and mounts to hold it. I did this on the simple. I drilled the hole from the bottom as per the instructions and made sure it extended into the upper spar. I used a 4-40 screw and to space the bellcrank in the wing, I used two pieces of hardwood dowel drilled for the screw as well. When installed, the bellcrank is freely moving, and as this will be a plane to learn on and appearance is not my main priority, the screw I am using will protrude through the top as well, and I will put a nut on it for security. In this fashion, it is very solid. Also to note, I will be putting CA into the screw holes before final assembly to strengthen them. Tonight, I installed the wingtips and they are now drying as seen in the picture. I actually burnt through this so far as I had decided to use CA to build most of this with the exception of the TE sheeting and now the wingtips. Also tonight, I will be putting the leadouts onto the bellcrank getting it ready for installation. I cannot honestly say when I will do anything else as like I mentioned earlier, it is race weekend so I will be at the track for the most part starting immediately after work tomorrow. But here are a couple of update pictures that I promised.
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Bcm110
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Bc10
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Wt110
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:32 pm

i don't really remember, i did like the red/white/blue factory paint scheme of the ringmaster? Lol, i never flew farther then some 50' from me...
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 am

Looking Good Chancey , No hurry do your thing and have Fun . Heck i got builds 2+ years old not finished lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Another little update. Two nights ago, I installed the bellcrank and did a mock up of the plane with the elevator in place so I can make a control rod. Then last night, I sheeted the center section of the wing as planned. So what I now have left is to trim the center sheeting flush with the wing ribs, do the final sanding, then assembling and finishing. The tail surfaces in the pictures is just pinned into position for the photos. I cannot remember if I mentioned it before, but the fuselage and tail will definately be doped the sprayed with rattle can paint. But the wing... Oh the wing... That is still up in the air (no pun intended) on its covering. As a trainer, I am hesitant to put a bunch of time into a doped finish, and I cannot justify buying a roll of $kote just for it as I have a BIG roll of doculam sitting here. So I am honestly really thinking of doing doculam with painted finish to go along with the rest of the plane. Just cover, scuff, then shoot! So that's it for now. Until the weather gets nices so I can work outside to do my sanding and doping. This weekend looks nice, but I have some major car issues to diagnose, find, and hopefully fix first. So here are a couple of pictures.
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Rmj110
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Rmj210
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Rmj310
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 pm

What’s going on with the car? Lot of dudes on here that are car guys including myself.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:04 pm

Oh, not much. 2001 Chrysler Sebring power windows not working. The drivers rear wenot a few years ago so it was unplugged. Then a little while ago, they all stopped working. Tried the 30a circuit breaker, even jumped it with a wire and no go. Dad bought a used switch from a wrecker and that did not work. So as of now, I am thinking broken wire in the door between the a pillar and door. Supposed to be nicer here this weekend, 28 - 30 Fahrenheit, so will disassemble the door. I would prefer to bring the wiring harness through the door and out the inside to work on the wiring in a nice more open area rather than cut the boot to play with it in a tight area, Thanks for asking, it is greatly appreciated.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 pm

Well, fixed the car today. 2 completely severed wires, and 4 partially severed. Did as I said by disassembling and bringing the harness back through the door where it was easier to solder and shrink wrap the broken wires. But at least I now have power windows on 3 of the 4 doors. The rear drivers door gave the ghost a few years ago. This is just my summer beater and all around spare vehicle so it will stay that way....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 pm

So, here it is framed all up. Tail feathers are all glued in place with epoxy fillets. Wing is the only thing not glued in as I am waiting to go the hobby shop to get a piece of 3/32 music wire for the landing gear. All I have here is 1/16", and I bent one up, but it remains very weak still. So this kind of rained on my parade. However, I just may install the wing in place and carefully mark it where it goes. If I do that, I will probably just cover it in doculam minus the center section where the glue will be. I can also dope the fuselage as well. Then when I get back from vacation, I can do a final assembly and paint it. Also to note, while working on teh horizontal stab and elevator, my new hinging method seemed to be binding badly and was no longer smooth. I did not know what happened. So, while not taking the time to look things over, I rushed and cut the hinges I installed and wondered why it suddenly binded up. Immediately after cutting them, I looked at the horizontal stab and saw it was badly warped. Icould not figure it out. I was just about ready to cut out another out of a spare piece of balsa I dug up then realized the problem. The drywall spackle I was using had made my tail wet and warped it. The next day it was as straight as straight could be again after drying. So, it was not my hinges afterall. But since I cut them, I did my favorite thing. I sewed them together right across. Nice, tight, and very free! So with all this as it sits, it is at 5.6 oz as seen in the picture. Until next update, thanks for reading.
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 53676910
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 54462510
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Looking good Chancey, real good.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:56 am

Covering these airframes is always a question.

You put all this work into what becomes a beautiful structure then you have to cover it. But, for my next built-up plane I'm going to consider some sort or transparent film, either natural or in a color. I always liked transparent blue with some trim.

Love the yellow plane in the background above Chancey, the one with the stars with black and white beams coming from them. Very effective.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:15 am

Thank you. If my work looked better, I would probably just cover it in clear and leave it. Just to match my Baby Ringmaster. The only problem is that I had already put some compound on the tail and sanded it so it is white in a couple spots. Thanks for the idea. As for the yellow plane in the background. It is my Sig Twister I bought a couple years ago. Just gotta run the engine up on the stand then install it. Still dont think I'm ready for a big flapped bird yet. But bought it anyways. I will get a picture of it up later for you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:23 am

What is Doculam?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:16 am

Here is a picture of the afforementioned Twister.
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Twiste10
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am

Doculam is simply document laminating film. Just like using other plastic films, except at a fraction of the price.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 Empty Covering Update March 19

Post  NEW222 Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Just a little update. I put in 1/2 oz of wingtip weight today into the outboard tip. I also reinforced the LE and TE with some nylon and epoxied in place, just for a little security. Then I put 3 coats of clear Aerogloss dope that I had laying around at approximately 50/50 onto the whole fuselage and tail feathers. I also covered the wing as I mentioned with doculam. It is clear for now, but am now debating painting it and the fuselage, or keeping it original like my Baby Ringmaster. If I keep it clear, I may also look around for scraps of covering and put some graphics on it. If I keep it all natural finish, I will sand the fuselage and apply a few more coats of dope. Anyways, just a little update and also to show you the wing covered with doculam.
Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 54416610
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Does that Doculam tighten up well with a heat gun?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 pm

I cannot honestly answer that. I did not use a heat gun on it. I just ironed it on and used the iron to remove the wrinkles. My iron is set to the max, and have not yet burned through the stuff. I can give it a little test tomorrow if I get a few spare minutes. I do know that the sun does not affect it like other Plastic coverings. As well, this stuff is stronger I feel too.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:29 am

Geez.. I'm sorry Chancey... I hadn't seen this thread.. or would have certainly been following it. I too have a Jr. Ring S-5 ARF.. and have a Fox Steel-Fin .15 ready to bolt-on. That "would be" my graduation from 1/2-A.......  to bigger models.  

Ringmaster Jr Kit S5 - Page 2 7-14-110

I have Cox Tee Dee.09 engines on-ready-status as well. Your thoughts?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 pm

I personally don't have a thought about that, yet. That said as we are both newcomers to the world of things larger than 1/2a. However, from reading, the Cox may have a slight edge over the Fox due to weight, but i have heard all good about the Fox .15 in them. I will know in a few days about balance hopefully, so i may be able to provide more information then.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm

A Ringmaster Jr. will be nose heavy with a Fox .15 even though the engine is light. It was designed this way. I have yet to see ANY Sterling profiles not build nose heavy. Wood props, plastic tanks can offer good substitution to tail weight. Place a finger right where the front leadout exits on the inboard wingtip and in the same location on the outboard and pick it up. The plane will and should nose down hard. Leave it that way seeing that you never flew a plane of this size. It will fly fine under power. It will not be very responsive immediately to control inputs and that's what you want until you get a few flights on it. Work from there and add tail weight.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Wow. Thanks fro the information Ken. I was already looking at ways to put some hidden weight into the tail, but I will not do so. I know the old phrase 'nose heavy won't fly well, but tail heavy will only fly once....'. But I did not know that much nose heavy is still ok. However, I have not yet finished it so things may not be as nose heavy as I originally thought. I will keep updating as I go along.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:03 pm

One thing I do in the event I need tail weight, I take the 1/4 oz. square lead weights and smash them with a hammer. They become paper thin in which you can use a hinge slotting tool in the underside of the fuse. Slide them in with a touch of epoxy and you can easily bury up to 3/4 of an oz. or more and not have it look unsightly.

Just don't do anything crazy on the first few flights, familiarize yourself with the engine and how it responds to up and down movement. Climb and dive, etc. You can substitute modeling clay on a tail wheel or wire strut until you provide the proper weight.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Between work and holidays and teh weather, I have not gotten too much further. Just after I got back from holidays, I installed the wing with Gorilla Glue wood glue. When that was dry, I prepped and masked the area and late last night I decided to epoxy it in as a final step. I do not have or use microballoons so I just used teh epoxy and wetted my finger into a 'fillet' shape. Now I just got tu sand them and hit the area wit sonme primer then paint the fuselage. The wind is still up in the air as to if I will paint it or not. A club member said to leave it as it was, but I feel my building skills are not worth showing off.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next