Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Cox_ba12

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Original Box for Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Today at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Empty
Live on Patrol

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09

Go down

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Empty Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09

Post  balogh Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 pm

COX Tee Dee 09-s were made with fully open venturies i.e. without air screens on them. I am flying my RC planes over unkempt fields where my planes easily land on mole hills and the like, with dirt and dust inadvertently entering the venturi.

I decided to add a home made air filter to the venturi, that I cut from stainless steel fine mesh having dimensions of 0,19mm x 0,08 mm (I guess wire dia x wire-to-wire square hole dimension) then bent to match the venturi rim and fixing the bent back wings on the venturi neck with a double hooked,  15mm diamater silicone O ring.

I hope this will keep my carb clean on landings on dusty terrain, add to the fuel suction capabilities of the engine - that TeeDee 09-s are not champions of -,  and will not rob too much engine performance.

I will tach it and/or experiment with it on the subsequent flight of my Cosmic Wind powerd by a TeeDee 09.

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Td09_a10[/url]

I know this is not rocket science, but am curious to see if I added to, or took from the engine's qualities.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Empty Re: Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09

Post  balogh Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Here is my Cosmic Wind already equipped with the filter...for a smoother touch I added a rubber band cut from a small blue party balloon:

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 15529310
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Empty Re: Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Good idea Andras the O ring helps to make it nice and clean setup. Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 am

Andras, is a good solution when it comes to protecting the aspiration of our engines.
I've seen that you fly in different terrains, so I think it's a very good way to prevent the engine from sucking up garbage.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks Brad and Mauricio..I ran the TD09 engine of the Comic Wind in the garage and the effect of the venturi  screen is confirmed just as it was expected. Stable engine run even with the nose of the plane held up ( no pressurization, a balloon rank is inside) so I am patting my shoulders..I will test fly the Cosmic Wind this weekend and do not expect even temporary lean runs anymore like before the screen was installed..

Last edited by balogh on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:54 pm

I really like the idea of filtering the air-intake. That's standard procedure on any IC engine. It can be done easily on any engine. Foreign-particle ingestion affects smaller-displacement engines to a MUCH larger degree. Filtering the intake-air is easy. Any air-filter media.. would suffice.

I like to use polyurethane-filter media designed for "room" (small) air-conditioners. It's generally a "blanket" 1/4" thickness.. which can be cut to fit the application. Buying one package of it would provide literally "dozens" of model-engines with protection from grit and foreign-matter being sucked-into the carburetor.

"Frost-King" is a brand of insulation sold where I live; here in New England.

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Polyur11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:50 am

Roddie what does this filter media look like? A densely woven plastic mesh sheet?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 am

Andras, where did you source the stainless mesh? Sorry if I missed it if it was mentioned...

I have been thinking about something like these, dampened with some air filter oil:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Microphone-Headset-Foam-Sponge-Mic-Cover-Soft-For-EPHS100-Corded-Phone-Black-/112703639371

Not sure if the dimensions of these would suit, or if they are too dense for filter use. Of course, if they are too dense, you could just cut some of the material off.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:20 am

Didn't try yet, but this site has several size:

https://pipescreenz.com/t/stainless-steel-pipe-screens
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:22 am

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Rsw_6010
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:23 am

Kari,

I bought a piece of that screen from a distributor in Budapest, Jurotissu...this is made of 304 grade stainless steel, the opening is 0,19mm*0,19mm, the wire diameter is 0,08mm. based on the formula on their website I arrive at a free cross section of some 84%...Apart from cleaning the air, for me the improvement in the fuel suction  capability of the engine was the priority, and it really improved a lot. Given that my engine is SPI, the effect of choking the fuel/air charge flowing into the crankcase is also negligible.

The material used as padding on earphones may be soon clogged with oil stuck into the cavities...at least similar materials I wrapped around the batteries and receiver in my airplanes soon got soaked in castor even if put in an area shaded from direct exposure to exhaust gases..so I would recommend the steel mesh that already has proven in reedy engines and on 049 TD-s, for example.

Last edited by balogh on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:24 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 Rsw_6010

This is great, Levent...I guess this is sold in tobacco shops? I will go and try to find it, because it seems to be neatly cut to circular already...

Last edited by balogh on Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:31 am

I didn't search it yet, hope that can find any brand of these mesh screens in tobacco shops.

I think that best filters are metal mesh screens. Insulation materials and foam can be clogged with castor oil.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 pm

balogh wrote:Roddie what does this filter media look like? A densely woven plastic mesh sheet?

Andras.. It's a super-lightweight material.. approx. 6.4mm thickness sheet. I would not classify it as dense.

Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 20190331
Home made air filter for COX TeeDee09 20190332

It is easily cut with scissors or a razor. You'll likely be able to "fit" a piece into an existing air-cleaner module.. or design a custom air-cleaner module to fit your application.

Replacement rubber-seals for plumbing-faucets.. may offer a housing to contain such filter-media.. when stretched-over the venturi of a model-engine. This filter will need to be checked/changed periodically.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:34 am

That looks like what i need for my GTP car but you do know they make filters for these engine, don't no if will fit but could ask for a diameter. I have some for my larger engines that fit right over the ventura . https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=air+filter Just one place !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down