Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Cox_ba12

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Empty
Live on Patrol

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois

Go down

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Empty Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois

Post  Kim Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Vince and I made the run to a Swap Meet hosted by the Midwest Air Wing RC Club in the Granite City Township Hall.

Seemed like they had a fair turn out on this dark, rainy Saturday.

One REALLY interesting item---though not for sale--was a WWII era OQ-2 Radioplane Target Drone. I'd seen the one in the National Museum of the USAF, but was allowed a much closer look at this example, which had one wing left uncovered to view the wing's structure...AND the penciled signatures of some of it's builders.
----------------------------------------------
From Wikipedia:
It was at the Radioplane plant at the Van Nuys Airport, near Los Angeles, on June 26, 1945 that Army photographer David Conover saw a young woman assembler named Norma Jeane Dougherty, whom he thought had potential as a model.

She was photographed in the plant, which led to a screen test for Norma Jeane, who soon changed her name to Marilyn Monroe.
-----------------------------------------------
I posted some links at the bottom to provide a little history on this cool "War Bird".

Vince scored an .020-powered Cox Skycopter, while I walked away with four buck's worth of small hardware packets, so it wasn't a big haul for us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioplane_OQ-2

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/rpav_radioplane4.html

----------------------------------------------

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 30_111

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 31_111

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 40_12

---------------------------------------------------

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 61_110

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 62_12

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 64_10

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 65_110

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 66_110

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 67_10

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 69_110

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 0_018
---------------------------------------------------------
Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 20_12

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 22_14

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 23_13

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Sam_3610

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Sam_3611

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Sam_3612
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Empty Re: Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois

Post  crankbndr Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:54 pm

Reginald Denny was quite a guy!! Aviator, movie star, hobbiest and tapping Norma Jeane to boot!! My hero!
His models are sought after and valuable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Denny_(actor)
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Empty Re: Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois

Post  NEW222 Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:53 pm

You passed on the control line trainer with Cox engine? If I may ask, what was he asking for it if you know? Does anyone know what model it is? First I thought a Ringmaster, then second look debunked that thought!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:25 pm

Hey Kim, your stories are very interesting ... think ... I am more than 12,000 km away and I know a lot about the characters and figures of the USA, so, thanks for sharing these stories that somehow make me know a lot more from the USA.
Vince has made a good purchase, I hope to see a flight video of his Skycopter .020 !!
You have also done it, think ... at 2 am in the workshop ... you need those accessories and there they are hanging on a shelf !! ... you are going to say: it's good that you buy them !!
Hugs friend!

Last edited by MauricioB on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:36 pm

Kim wrote:

What? Affraid or WOW!   You passed up the Gilbert?  What sort of enthusiast are you??? lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 pm

After these 'you passed on this, you passed on that', Kim will never show us picturns again.... Very Happy Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 pm

However, on a side note, I really enjoy pictures like this. We no longer have a formal swap meet of any kind here anymore. Even that said, ours were much smaller. It seems like all the pages on Facebook be it locally, and afar took that over here. Also, you no longer have to wait for that time and keep holding stuff until then I guess. But I do miss them.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:09 am

did you grab the pagco engine? do u remember what they were asking for it? looks like it was a good time!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:15 am

NEW222 wrote:You passed on the control line trainer with Cox engine? If I may ask, what was he asking for it if you know? Does anyone know what model it is? First I thought a Ringmaster, then second look debunked that thought!

Sterling Shoestring.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:05 am

Kim,

What was the duty of that WW2 drone? Surveillance photography? With no picture transmission to the ground how was it timed to shoot the pics in the right time and location?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 am

The wiki article crank posted says that another actor and a photographer, a fellow named Ronald Reagan also worked there and he was the one that persuaded Norma Jean to begin modeling (sadly, not the kind of modeling we do lol! ). Small world.

Andras, I think that drone was used for anti-aircraft gunner training. It is a lot smaller and slower than a real aircraft, but when it flies by at a close distance it will be sort of a realistic target. It has the parachute for landing, I guess it was used also when the plane was intact, not only when it was hit.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks Kari..Norma Jean was a boxer engine powered model as seen in the pic.. Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:11 am

Although the system of counter-rotating propellers is to avoid the torque effect of the engine, I wonder what would be the real purpose of using this system in the model ??, possibly better control of the aircraft and better use of the radio system? , less use of energy to control its direction ?? ...
I am just thinking that it is a complex mechanical system and it is more time and machinery demand for its manufacture .... I find it very interesting to know what was your application goal? Huh...
Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 62_1210
Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 64_1010
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:29 am

KariFS wrote:
Andras, I think that drone was used for anti-aircraft gunner training. It is a lot smaller and slower than a real aircraft, but when it flies by at a close distance it will be sort of a realistic target.

I suspect it was used for towing a target rather than being the target.  I'm pretty sure they also used manned aircraft for towing gunner practice targets, although this might be a little risky for the newer recruits Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:21 am

Nice Haul !! No reason to bring home more stuff if you DON'T need it lol! Mauricio here is something on the CR props https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra-rotating_propellers Those round tables would make it a PIA to get around for Me ! Hope to see the Chopper fly Wink
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks for clearing the model of the plane up. Now to go see if I can find some plans online.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 am

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:59 pm

balogh wrote:Kim,

What was the duty of that WW2 drone? Surveillance photography? With no picture transmission to the ground how was it timed to shoot the pics in the right time and location?

I'm pretty certain that they just shot at the thing.  There is a reference in one of the sites that they typically had a lifespan of five flights, with the record being 64 or something like that.

Years later, the Ryan Firebee (my all time favorite drone) did the same duty, but powered by a small turbine engine, and was blown out of the sky on a regular basis by guns and missiles.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
NEW222 wrote:You passed on the control line trainer with Cox engine? If I may ask, what was he asking for it if you know? Does anyone know what model it is? First I thought a Ringmaster, then second look debunked that thought!

Sterling Shoestring.

Yep...that's what it was. I waited for it's owner for a while, but eventually wandered away. It looked nice, but I've already got a small air force of 1/2A sheetwings waiting for attention. Vince went back to check on it, and it had been sold. The guy hadn't posted a price.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:17 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:did you grab the pagco engine? do u remember what they were asking for it? looks like it was a good time!

I thought Vince might get it, but after I took the photo another guy pounced on it. Don't know what it went for.

Yeah, it was a fun trip, though I wasn't feeling good. Luckily, Vince was driving, so I get several micro naps going up and back.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:23 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
Kim wrote:

What? Affraid or WOW!   You passed up the Gilbert?  What sort of enthusiast are you??? lol!

The kind that's almost already "Gilbert Poor" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois 9_512 Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Off to the Swap Meet in Granite City, Illinois Empty group CEF swap meets...or how to screw up a weekend

Post  fredvon4 Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

CEFers have seen hundreds of "MY SWAP MEET BUY" threads and every one of us has (under our breath) claimed "I want that"!!!

We only have a few dedicated Travelers that meander about to swap meets within 3 states of their home back yard

Wouldn't it be Kewl if they could real time POST about what's on the table, how much...dicker, no dicker..

and Fred could TEXT...Hey Kim BUY me a good looking Shrike for under $80 if you see one...OR I want that Cox TeeDee 15 you by passed for $55...

Sorry Kim, Ron, and other Swapmeet dudes and duddettes....extra burden and a royal PITA to Logistically plan and implement

BUT Damn!...Kim and Ron have posted a BUNCH of swapmeet things I WOULD WANT>>>>>>!!!!!

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down