Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors series 21 Cox_ba12

Testors series 21 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors series 21 Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors series 21

Go down

Testors series 21 Empty Testors series 21

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:21 am

I know some of you might consider these as "boat anchors", but for some reason I have a real affection for Testors stuff.

I'm sorry that I have no pictures of my own to support my story- not much of a photographer.  Hope you can follow the story.

A couple of years back I got myself a Series 21 .19 C/L engine in pretty reasonable condition except that two mounting lug holes had been elongated out.  I hate that. Mad
Not long after, I managed to score two R/C versions in original boxes.  Can't recall what I paid but it wouldn't have been much.  I'm pretty strict on my limits, so I'm guessing about $30 the pair.  One was complete but had a broken cooling fin on the crankcase, and the other had a good case but had a bent rod, missing piston, missing prop driver and broken needle.  I stripped both and used all the best parts to make one good one.  Back in the box and into storage.  The other sat in a box in parts waiting for me to stumble on  the required parts.  

Fast forward a couple of years, I spot someone on ebay selling a heap of Series 21 parts, most of which I wouldn't ever need, but it included a series 21 .19 C/L case with crankshaft, rod and piston.  Missing cylinder, head and backplate.  The parts lot didn't sell so I negotiated with the seller to get the .19 bones for $10.  Here's the ebay pictures.
Testors series 21 S-l16012
Testors series 21 S-l16011

Turns out that the parts are brand new.  For some reason a previous owner has robbed a brand new engine of parts.

So, project time.  Removed cylinder and head from my "modified" engine and installed them onto the new acquisition, along with the needle.  My backplate had a damaged TESTORS label in the back, so a perfect one from the R/C junker was used to keep it all looking like new.  Managed to mount it up tonight and it started like a breeze.  Not sure what size prop I should use, but it had an 8X6 M/A.  Ran really well (very loud) but I think it sounded to be labouring a little, maybe due to the prop.

Anyway, the backplate, piston, ring and rod from my original engine was installed into the R/C junker.  All I need to complete it now is a prop driver, a couple of cylinder screws and a Perry main needle.  If anyone has these to spare I have a good, (but filed-out mount holes) .19 crankcase and crank with spray bar to trade.

While I was at it tonight, I decided to run a few engines that were just laying around. First, the old Enya .19 4002 with oval exhaust.  Sweet as a button.  Bob would be proud  Laughing
Next (because it had a muffler) was my first run for an OS MAX S .35 I picked up a while ago.  Engine is practically new and ran sweet.  Finally, an old 1949 Torpedo .29 Ex. Bill Booth who was USA SAM President at some point.  This old thing has so much wear in the crank bush that you can literally rock the prop up and down about 30 thou. but it burst into life on the first compression and took off.  The needle is sloppy worn, plus the case wear, so needling was pretty tricky.  

Nice to get the chance to make some noise and smoke after a long break.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Testors series 21 Empty Re: Testors series 21

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:17 am

I'm an unashamed big fan of the Testors 21 series engines Rod and have quite a collection. R/C - C/L NIB, used and in every iteration.

My first, a .35 mounted in my Nieuport 28 was an easy starter and great performer. It ushered it around around a 52' circle with authority and never let me down. Love that engine and if I asked it to despite a layoff of about 20 years it would do so today if I did a little patch job on the air frame. Got an identical series 21 mounted in another Nieuport 28 yet to be flown.

Testors series 21 Nieupo14

But, in true confession I tried to start an off-the-shelf .19 series 21 recently to no joy. Of course I couldn't get the sandcast enya .29 running either. Probably problem me, not the engines. Only engine that ran that day was the little Enya .09II (middle).

Testors series 21 Enya_031

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:57 am

I like 'em too. I put about 75 flights on a Midwest Esquire 3 channel set up with a Series 21 .19 R/C on the nose back in the early eighties. Somebody sold me the brand new kit and the engine for 5.00 after he decided that building it was going to be too much trouble for him. Somewhat overpowered at full throttle and on the heavy side, but it sure was a smooth and reliable runner.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Bump!!

So, any chance that someone will have a prop driver I can get? A Perry needle & spring can be found at MECOA, but the .19 prop driver is nil stock.

Also, after an opinion here. I hope to "move-on" a surplus engine once complete and running. I'll keep my newly renovated C/L version as well as the better R/C one I put together some time back. With a prop driver I can complete one more engine, but I'm not sure what's the best choice. Do I complete the R/C version I have , or should I transfer the "innards" to the C/L crankcase I have (with elongated mount holes)? Which would be more desirable in the eBay realm? Slightly damaged case on either version, but should be a good runner assuming I get the bits I need.

Thoughts???
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:38 am

FWIW I think the old Testor McCoy red head .19 prop drive plates will work if appearance/authenticity is not an issue.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down