Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Empty Re: Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Post  Onelife Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 63970810
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 B1415410
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Empty Re: Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:00 am

Your picture is a bit blurry but it looks like the straight needle. This is the replacement needle. The 1988 40th anniversary model was the last of the needles with the flat on them. The needle you show fits the spray bar of models that would date back to the late 50's. Unfortunately, Fox machining or lack of can prevent the newer straight needle to work properly. You must try it to see if it fits. Fox made essentially two style of spraybars for the Fox .35 which is the single hole and the dual hole. The dual hole being the more common. Sometimes the new replacment is barely into the spraybar when properly set.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:39 am

Thank you for that info I appreciate it.  Let me see if I got this correct the engines from the 40th year and up will have all straight needle values ? And the engine I posted was made before the 40th but someone got a replacement needle value and stuck it in   ?
What do you mean that it will barely be seated when in proper position?

Sorry one more thing I read to put on a piece of fuel line tubing on threads. Where and why?
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:59 pm

The needle valve you have is the newer replacement, it has a slight taper. The older needle valves had one side ground flat. The 40th anniversary engines were the last engines in the Fox .35 series to have the flats ground onto the needle. It is imperative to cut a piece of tubing to the proper length and install it on a Fox needle valve.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:39 pm

What is the tubing for ? Where do you put it exactly is it there so the needle valve stays put?
Which needle values and spray bars are the better the 1 hole spray bar or the 2 hole spray bar and what needle value goes with each the one that’s ground flat or the round tapered one ?
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:26 am

As you can see, the needle has two knurled knobs. One is for the ratchet clip and the other so that you can turn it. You need to get the engine running in it's approximate happy spot and measure the distance between the spraybar and the first knob. Cut the tubing and slide it onto the needle valve and screw it in to seal against air leaks. Fox needle valves are real crap. They break just looking at them. I cut the knob off that you adjust with and bend the remainder into a L. In the event you come in inverted it usually breaks the needle. This can even happen if the model flips over. The needle snaps off inside the spraybar requiring a little surgery to remove it.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Empty Picture

Post  Onelife Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:55 am

Which style needle value is your personal favorite or the one that’s the best in your opinion?
And what do you think of these replacements I will attempt to send pictures lol. And do you recommend the tubing for bot needle values This is confusing sorry. Thanks for your help. Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 7f3db210
Please tell me the Fox .35 needle looks like this - Page 2 Cbe8af10
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:11 pm

The needle valve you show first is a Supertiger clone. I'm not a huge fan of Tiger needles because the collet always comes loose, when you tighten it down, the needle is too hard to turn. If you slip trying to turn it, fingers are going into the back of the prop.
I also don't like that the assembly is .156" in diameter which is about .020" larger than the Fox which will rob power due to choking down the venturi.

The Enya needle valve is superior to most manufacturers. I myself have a personal favorite no longer available which is the Randy Smith PA needle valve assemblies. The PA needle assemblies are the best of the best. My second choice would be the Enya you show from Shtterman.

Also not available is the Brodak .40 needle which I turned down to the same diameter as the Fox. If you turn down a Supertiger assembly, it makes it too thin and it breaks when you tighten into the engine.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Onelife Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Ok thank you for the info. So I guess the one hole spray bar is the way to go. Do I have to put the tubing on any of the ones above?
Onelife
Onelife
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:55 pm

One hole or two hole, it makes no difference with a Fox. Anytime you can place tubing on the assembly your better off. The Enya needle valve, OS needle valves are female assemblies which you can't easily place tubing on it like the Fox. It can be done, but it's a bit difficult. So, don't run your needle valves in and out, this can wear them out. Needle valves vibrate and can wear out rather quickly just from vibrations. I've had this happen with newer OS assemblies, they're crap, the threads are crude, the plating is poor and combined with vibrations, they wear out. No worries because they're discontinued nowadays like everything else we need. My advice would be to purchase the Enya needle valve and as many needles as you can afford. These are not going to be around for long and they're certainly not going to get cheaper.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum