Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI - Page 3 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI - Page 3 Pixel
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My layout as it progresses
by getback Today at 10:25 am

» Trout Fishing season!
by dckrsn Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project
by kazaklisglider Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Cox train forum?
by fredvon4 Yesterday at 10:25 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (December 2019)
by 1/2A Nut Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:54 pm

» Recent engine acquisitions
by aspeed Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:33 pm

» MINWAX Which one to use
by oldguy Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:40 pm

» Wanted! Pilot head for a PT-19
by NEW222 Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:33 am

» BHM Mosquito in MS-build
by rsv1cox Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:03 am

» WARNING - Scam website for Cox products - WARNING
by NEW222 Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:53 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2019
jmcalata's

"Pee Wee .020 throttled combinated"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI - Page 3 Empty
World of Aviation

New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI - Page 3 Empty Re: New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI

Post  dirk gently on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 am

1/2A Nut wrote:
Shame you don't have a good bit of clean pavement to use.

I do actually. I thought the rubber lanes would be better, but I was clearly mistaken.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI - Page 3 Empty Re: New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI

Post  getback on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:13 am

Hopefully next time , am sure you were on edge from flipping flipping flipping Sad Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 am

The thing kind of flew, but it wasn't great. I gave up on ROGs and just tossed it. It sort of hung in there, with minimal aileron and elevator authority. Once the engine ran out of fuel, it basically turned into a lawn dart and crashed into the ground at a 30 degree down angle (elevator full up). The wing needs a major repair, bordering on a total rebuild. Didn't manage to catch any of that on video, which would help me find the root cause of the issue.

Action plan is: increase the throws on the ailerons and elevator. Check CoG in a calculator (although the CoG definitely isn't forward enough to explain the dive after power cutoff). It may need a slighly bigger horizontal stab. Sigh.  Sad
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

Hi Dirk , sorry to hear it did not go as planned . Is the Incidence set right to give it more lift??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 pm

I built in my usual incidence of maybe 2 degrees on wing and 0 on the elevator, but I will double-check the angles before attempting to fly it again.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am

It's alive!
I was on the airfield today and flew the Fokker with success. The engine runs great and the model flies terrific. The wing rebuild wasn't as problematic as I thought it would be, the worst part was having to remove and rebuild the entire landing gear. I couldn't be bothered to make new spats, but now that the plane has proved it flies, it will get some silhouette-style spat imitations. I don't have it in me to build proper 3d spats again.
The movable rudder wasn't terribly useful and I may get rid of it. The throttle works fine, but the model just about hangs in there on idle, so I can't actually land it by throttling down. I may need to reuse the throttle for a bigger or heavier model.
I only got one flight out it - due to all the excitement I thoroughly flooded it on the second try and couldn't star it is again. It was too cold to keep trying.
Here is the Fokker surrounded by its squadron on what is probably the last flying day of the season. I was flying alone, so sadly there's no video:
New Baby Bee project - Fokker D.XXI - Page 3 Img_2012

Summary of the flying day:
1. The Dewoitine got a new engine, same problem - wouldn't maintain RPM in the air, crashed the model.
2. Curtiss' Baby Bee is not running all that great, barely reaches 13kRPM (used to do 15k), but I registered a few flights, broke off the rudder on the last landing, no biggie.
3. The Morane and the Martin-Baker didn't get to fly, it was too cold and I decided to call it a day.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum