Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Cox_ba12

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!!

Go down

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Empty Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!!

Post  Mark Diedrichs Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 pm

I have to keep my wife happy and involved with what I'am doing on this forum... I know this is way off topic, but for the sake of keeping the peace at home. I must ask this question. Who has the most wonderful shepherds pie recipe?? Lets Share,(she says), I need a bed to sleep in!! I'm sure most if not all of you will understand. Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Empty Shepards Pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff

Post  66 Malibu Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Since my wife has total domain over the cooking division of labor for 50 years as of a couple of months from now, I don't have any personal receipes to pass on to you.
If you want to venture into a different world such as the UK where Shepherd's Pie saw first light, go to You tube and pull up one of the best cooking series ever shot, Keith Floyd AKA  "Floyd on Fish".
Floyd's first series was about fish cuisine but later series covered UK and Northern Europe with many different country's version of Shepard's Pie.
I guarantee you'll pick up what you are looking for.
Since I first saw the series in the 1980's, I still remember his opening and closing theme song played by ( wait for it ) the British rock group, "The Stranglers".
Must be a sort of UK food irony !!!
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Empty Re: Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!!

Post  balogh Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Mince the meat (half pork and half beef) at least twice and add salt , white pepper, marjoram, fresh chopped onion, parsley, 1 raw egg per pound of meat, 1 breadroll pre-drenched in milk then pressed soft and minced, 1 clove of garlic mashed. Mix ingredients well.

Lay long, smoked bacon slices on the bottom of an oven pan to fully cover it. Let ends of slices overhang the pan walls because you will need them to cover the pie. (Depending on pan shape and length of slices, you may want to lay slices in opposing lines on pan right and left side such that opposite slices meet at the centerline of pan bottom and other ends of slices generously overhang the pan side walls).Place pie mix on top of bacon and form the pie. (You can optionally line up 4 hard boiled eggs along a 2- pounds  pie and cover them with pie mix.) Bend free ends of bacon slices back to cover pie fully. It will look like a flat loaf of bread. Add some water and vegetable oil to bottom of pan.

Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in oven. Bake pie in about 200 Celsius for 40 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue baking until crust of pie is crispy brown.

Enjoy..

Last edited by balogh on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:39 pm; edited 6 times in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Empty Re: Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!!

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm

My daughter makes Shepherds pie frequently and always shares it with me as I like it so. I live alone so she either brings it over or sends someone with it.

Probably no recipe, makes it from scratch from memory.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 pm

I think lamb works much better in Shepherds Pie, taste wise and also because shepherds usually herd sheep Wink But that’s me.

My wife makes it like this, she is not a measurement person so you may have to play around.

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! B4d1e910
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:19 pm

When I have to provide nourishment for my dearWife , my GoTo place is either Alton Brown, or America Test Kitchen. Here’s a link to Alton Brown’s version. if you’ve never seen his show ya gotta look it up on You Tube as “Good Eats”.
https://altonbrown.com/shepherds-pie-recipe/
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Here's a good variation. I guess you could use mutton or lamb, as this
is  a stylized take on the real thing. Fairly quick and easy.
https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/eat-drink/article_a8acb2ce-00c9-5d2f-a586-ad3204caafca.html
Not a fan of lamb or mutton.Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! S_pie10 or mutton Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 am

Courtesy my wife, recipe see above:

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! 15629310

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! 15629311
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:39 am

I am half British on my moms side she is full British. I have ate Shepherds pie growing up as
a kid thousands of times. Its really one of those meals where the core ingredient is mashed potatoes
on top meat and veggies bellow. The whole thing gets tossed in the oven to brown the mashed
potatoes. It can all be cooked separately assembled and browned.

The fun is what treats are under the mash, and of course brown gravy is a must once you
get your portion on the plate a good slathering goes a long way. Yorkshire puddings are
typically served with it as it works well with all the gravy that was made for the meal.

Meats:
Ground beef
Steak strips or chunks
Shredded beef
Roast beef
Chicken
Pork
Lamb
Rabbit
Deer
Duck
Sausage
Grandma's green limb that fell off in the hall way.
Whatever you want fish even just some sort of meat.

Veggies whatever your hearts desires.
My mom would use green peas and carrots almost always
as the main with onions, mushrooms.
Beer, red or white wine depending on the meat type.

Key is a good brown gravy unless you go with a breakfast theme
Eggs and precooked bacon under a layer of hash browns with
all things you put in omelets would work.
That requires white beef chip gravy or white sausage gravy etc as an example.
Breakfast biscuits works well with it milk, orange juice, coffee etc.  

My English grandmother would make it too from leftovers though out the week.
By Friday she would have a blend of many things below the mashed taters.

Beer Cheers  Hand Shake   Friends/Meeting  Thumbs Up   Hats Off
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm

We put jalapeños in ours to spice it up a bit
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Sauteed onions on top can't hurt.
Potatoes and onions. tongue  
Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! Fork-a10
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 pm

We would call your Sheppards Pie a Meatloaf in North America, your recipe looks really good, you can never go wrong with that much bacon! Thanks for sharing!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Wow, what a great  response from all you great people!!!!! Momma already has a grocery shopping list put together based on your recipes, gonna experiment with different variations. Thank You Thank You Thank You!! Mark & Misses D.Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! 20150611
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 pm

You are very welcome guys, this was fun we should share recipes more often!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 am

Cribbs74 wrote:

We would call your Sheppards Pie a Meatloaf in North America, your recipe looks really good, you can never go wrong with that much bacon! Thanks for sharing!

Ron

Thanks Ron I agree..in fact I first read about Sheppards Pie as such in the autobiography of Keith Richards "Life" some years ago and has been under the impression till now that this is a kinda meat loaf similar to my wife's recipe..but now I know the Shepperds Pie is different...anyway our meat loaf made yesterday has been devoured by today almost completely..

balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Mark Diedrichs wrote:Wow, what a great  response from all you great people!!!!! Momma already has a grocery shopping list put together based on your recipes, gonna experiment with different variations. Thank You Thank You Thank You!! Mark & Misses D.

I agree! That looks delicious, and damn, I just got hungry all of a sudden, Lol.
Mark & Misses D., y'all are a great looking couple. Hope your Pie turns out great.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Since we have delved into meatloaf...  I have had to work around a dairy, beef, and egg allergy.  Heh, yea.  Hard to feed a kid who can't eat half the food there is.  This is an original recipe, as simple as it is.  

Phil's meatloaf
Equal parts Ground turkey and Ground pork  (ok, you can go 60/40 to 40/60 without worry.)
For every pound of mix
1/4 cup "Old Fashioned" rolled oats
1/4 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
1/2 t dried diced onions

Optional
1/4 t paprika
Bacon

Mix well.  Form a loaf on a suitable baking pan.  Bake at 350F to internal temperature of 165F via remote probe thermometer.  Cover with foil or a close fitting lid and rest before cutting.  For small loaves, under 1 pound, cover the lid with a towel to retain heat.

As there is no egg for added stiffness, it cannot be cut until it has rested, it will crumble.  I gauge resting by returning to the target 165F.  Temperature should elevate during resting to 170F, maybe higher because it is covered. Resting allows liquids to redistribute and binders to finish working.

There will be very little drainoff so an elevated rack in your baking pan is not necessary

FYI for allergy workarounds.  Eggs are unnecessary in most of these recipies as the meat is a protine binder, and the breadcrumbs,  or in my case oatmeal, is a starch binder.  The eggs do add umami flavor, and may improve texture.  Oatmeal has more umami than breadcrumbs.

Phil

For you metric people approximate conversions

1t is 5ml  small t is teaspoon
2.2 pounds is 1 kg
Unused in this recipe
1T is 15ml  big T is tablespoon
1 fluid ounce is 30 ml

I don't normally do temperature conversions so you are on your own.  Use typical oven temperature and low, poultry safe temperature.
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:55 pm

pkrankow wrote:.......
I don't normally do temperature conversions so you are on your own.  Use typical oven temperature and low, poultry safe temperature.

Simplest approximation between Celsius and Fahrenheit:

C=(F-30)/2..accurate enough for cooking temperature conversions Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I think lamb works much better in Shepherds  Pie, taste wise and also because shepherds usually herd sheep

Yes, lamb meat is best. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:44 pm

balogh wrote:
pkrankow wrote:.......

Simplest approximation between Celsius and Fahrenheit:

C=(F-30)/2..accurate enough for cooking temperature conversions Very Happy

This is what I use:

Shepherds pie, nothing to do with Cox stuff!! 4bd90d10

It’s an oven thermometer bought mainly for temp conversion purposes. All my old recipes had temps in deg C, and when my wife and I moved to the USA in 1998, the oven in the apartment obviously had Fahrenheit scale. Actually the first one had a gas oven with verbal scale ”mild - hot - scorching - surface of Sun” or something like that, so it was useful as a thermometer too. The other apartments had electric ovens with proper thermostats, they made life a lot easier.

When we moved back, we had a ton of cookbooks and grocery store recipe cards that had temps in F, but our oven has C so this thermometer still is very useful. Could use a cleaning though Embarassed
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 am

Levent Suberk wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:I think lamb works much better in Shepherds  Pie, taste wise and also because shepherds usually herd sheep

Yes, lamb meat is best. Very Happy

Except that in one of the worlds biggest lamb producers, (Australia) so much is exported to the rest of the world, local prices are so high none of us can afford to buy it.  Just had a look at a local supermarket website, lamb rack roast is $46AUD/kg. (That's $15USD/lb).  A leg is around $20AUD/kg.
When I was a kid, lamb was the cheapest meat.  For those on a budget, lamb chops were just one step above sausages or minced meat.  We could have meat a couple of times a week at that.  Chicken or pork were a special treat, usually only had at special occasions like Christmas.  Now they're the cheapest alternative.  

We had my wife's version of shepher's pie last week, with minced beef Sad   My mum used to make it with left-over roast lamb, which was beautiful.  Not much went to waste in our house.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 am

Lamb hasn’t really taken off here in the US, not sure why. Perhaps it’s because of the lack of exposure and trying lamb for the first time as an adult is not the way to go. It has a different flavor than beef and that is off-putting to some.

It is becoming more prevalent these days due to the influx of people from other parts of the world. We pay around $7-10 for a pound of ground, about double the price of beef.

A lot of the lamb in the US comes from New Zealand of all places. That’s a long way to travel which probably supports the high prices.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm

I like lamb. Never found ground lamb, always ribs, some joint, or a leg. Target temperatures for doneness is a big part of why I use probe thermometers instead of timers.

Yes, I know how to convert temperatures. Recipies are not written for 177C, the recipe calls out a more round number and the time is adjusted. Switching back is an equal pain.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 pm

I love Lamb!

We raised only Goats, and Chickens, on our farm at the time, so Lamb was a delicacy.

My introduction to Lamb was a delightful experience, but not all Lamb is prepared or seasoned properly. I've found many restaurants that serve Lamb, but very few of them get a return visit. The proper spices, and condiments are very important, as well as the preparations.

On the other hand, I like only salt, and very little pepper on Beef stake.

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down