Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 Empty Re: Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is...

Post  KariFS Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:23 am

OK, here goes:

High: 630 minutes
Low: 540 minutes

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 Empty Re: Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is...

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:04 am

batjac wrote:Ah, but you're all forgetting something in your calculations.  Yes, it's a U.S. quart of fuel.  But the engine came from Bernie up in Canada, so it's a metric .049 cubic inch engine.

The Conversion Mark

So does that mean we need to use milli-inches, or centifeet? Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:49 am

batjac wrote:Ah, but you're all forgetting something in your calculations.  Yes, it's a U.S. quart of fuel.  But the engine came from Bernie up in Canada, so it's a metric .049 cubic inch engine.

The Conversion Mark
What the heck does that mean Mark !?? I just calculated somewhere between 2 1/4 to 2.5 mins. Per oz. Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:40 am

The Conversion Mark

Yes, 0.8cc that is. Or ”nollakasi Cox” as we say in Finland Very Happy (zero-eight Cox).
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:18 am

Greetings!  My guess is: 396 min. long  and 123 min. short

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Name:  --Oz--
High time: 260 minutes
Low Time: 215 minutes

Are you going to keep on adjusting the needle during the run or set it once and thats how it would fly in the air?

You should live stream the motor run on youtube.

Last edited by --Oz-- on Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:07 pm

--Oz-- wrote:Name:  --Oz--
High time: 215 minutes
Low Time: 260 minutes

Are you going to keep on adjusting the needle during the run or set it once and thats how it would fly in the air?

Huh... How can you have a high time that's lower than a low time? No
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  --Oz-- Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Huh... How can you have a high time that's lower than a low time? No

I am covering everything!, haha, I corrected my post and at least I did not post in "hours" Smoking
--Oz--
--Oz--
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=91160

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 pm

getback wrote:  What the heck does that mean Mark !??  

Eric, it means that we are truly an International group of enthusiasts…

--Oz-- wrote:

Oz, I adjusted it as necessary during the run to keep it about 500 RPM rich of peak as the engine broke in, and as it heated up.  Sorry, no live streaming.  I was out at the field.

KariFS wrote:Yes, 0.8cc that is. Or ”nollakasi Cox” as we say in Finland Very Happy  (zero-eight Cox).

Kari.  That's very interesting to me.  What do you call the .09's, the .020's, and the .010's?

The Foreign Exchange Student Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 pm

Okay,  I brought the deadline in by a week to 8/16.  I initially set the deadline out by three weeks, figuring that members are working and can’t get on the forum regularly, or have met a new hot girlfriend and can’t find the time to log on, or maybe even sick and unable to get to the computer.  But the entries seem to be slowing down, so two weeks should be enough for everyone to get a guess in.

Temperature at the field was 68 degrees, atmospheric pressure was 29.99, and humidity was 65%:

The Enduring Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:02 am

Ok so now we have a hint rpm 17.2k thank you Mark! Small Cox Logo  Thumbs Up  Hats Off

Fireworks  Fireworks  Fireworks  Fireworks
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:07 pm

My predicted times : 243 high time , 168 low time .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Name: NEW222
High Time: 378 minutes
Low Time: 214 minutes
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:50 pm

So Thursday evening after the endurance run, I took the engine apart.  I pulled the cylinder and glow head, and pulled the backplate off.  I didn’t pull the crankshaft, as I feel pulling the crank unless absolutely necessary creates more issues than it’s worth.  The engine looked excellent.  No discoloration anywhere inside other than a light grey film on the reed from wear, but a quick wipe cleaned it off.  The only obvious wear was the slight carboning on the top of the piston and a little wearing-in on the piston sides:

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 DSCN6822

Before the endurance run I reset the piston play to .002” from .015” with the reset tool.  After the run, I re-measured the play and it was back up to .012” of play.  I again reset the play to .002”.  I didn’t check the crank end play before the run, so it was no use measuring it after, but it didn’t seem any more than when new.

A couple of drops of sewing machine oil, a new crankcase gasket, and a drop of blue locktite on the four case screws reassembled the engine.  Other than the indentions of the fours screw heads on the front of the backplate, the engine looks brand new.  The winner should be mighty happy to get a nice, clean, well-broke in engine ready for use.

The engine is packed up and ready to ship.  Just waiting to see who the winner is:

Official Endurance Run Time Thread - And the Winner is... - Page 2 DSCN6827

The Assembler Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Thank you for your time and effort Mark! Thumbs Up

Word has been leaked thru the grape vine the run time was 1,417 minutes therefore
no possible winner to date as everyone is so far off "close" does not even compute.  
Old Bugger

Small Cox Logo  Babe Bee .049  tongue
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:11 pm

Nice job Mark!! I ran down the batteries in my calculator, my results follow:

Name: Marleysky
High time: 384 minutes
Low Time: 296 minutes

Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:44 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Thank you for your time and effort Mark!  Thumbs Up

Word has been leaked thru the grape vine the run time was 1,417 minutes therefore
no possible winner to date as everyone is so far off "close" does not even compute.  

Well, if the rumours are anywhere near true, I'm suggesting sticking by the rules lol! (for good reason Laughing )

Mark said initially "I understand the final result could be wildly above or below what people are figuring.  So, to make this more fair, I am going to give everyone two (2) guesses.  A High and a Low guess on how many minutes the engine will run.  Whoever has a guess closest to the actual run time wins."

Actually, I'm hoping the 1,417 minutes rumour was a red herring.  Throwing any figure out there has the potential to skew people's guesses, so I hope it hasn't messed up the system by giving an advantage to anyone who's guess comes in after the rumour post. There's a few days yet.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 am

Nice job Mark..did the glow head survive or needed replacement? How many runs altogether did cover the full endurance test, did the engine stop while refuelling or it just ran from A to Z?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
1/2A Nut wrote:Thank you for your time and effort Mark!  Thumbs Up

Well, if the rumours are anywhere near true, I'm suggesting sticking by the rules lol! (for good reason Laughing )

Mark said initially "I understand the final result could be wildly above or below what people are figuring.  So, to make this more fair, I am going to give everyone two (2) guesses.  A High and a Low guess on how many minutes the engine will run.  Whoever has a guess closest to the actual run time wins."

Actually, I'm hoping the 1,417 minutes rumour was a red herring.  Throwing any figure out there has the potential to skew people's guesses, so I hope it hasn't messed up the system by giving an advantage to anyone who's guess comes in after the rumour post. There's a few days yet.

I guess Brad was only joking. Such a long run would have taken 3 quarts of fuel and Mark staying in the park from sunrise till dusk (edited: next sunrise)...remember he calibrated his endurance  food ration in his other thread to only  one Subway sandwich...hardly enough fuel for a man for such a long time Brad alluded to !! Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:45 am

Yeah i think Brad is jerking our chain at over 23 hr. https://www.younitz.com/en/1417-min-hr/1417-minutes-to-hours Very Happy lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:20 am

Snnnnniiiiicker giggle dooo.... Phone

Razz Horsing Around
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:43 am

lol! lol! lol! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! I Love This Forum! Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Long may they run !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Okay, Guys. Time's just about out. If you haven't given me your time, now is the time to give it. At 12:01 AM PST, August 16 I will announce the winner. That's just 36 hours away...

The Europe Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:29 am

I want to make 2 guesses:

high 757
low 541

and other end of spectrum

high 145
low 97
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:05 am

The time has come to announce the winner of the Summer 2019 Cox Endurance Run.   First, I’d like to again thank Bernie and Cox International for donating the engine, and Rene (Marleysky) for donating the fuel.

There were only a total of 19 entrants who gave times.  Of those entrants, there were five guesses that were within 20 minutes of the actual time.  On any given day, depending on the temperature and humidity conditions, any of those five could have been the winning guess.  But on this particular day, only one was within two minutes of the actual time.

Behold!

Congratulations, Gus!!!  You’re the winner with a time of 223 minutes!  Use the engine in good health!
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next