Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Wenmac Rotomatic issues Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Wenmac Rotomatic issues Pixel
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My layout as it progresses
by Oldenginerod Today at 2:44 am

» A little something for all you "non-working" guys
by Oldenginerod Today at 2:40 am

» Trout Fishing season!
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» ***The World's Smallest Traveling Engine*** SIGN UP!
by dckrsn Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» Free Railway Cardboard Buildings
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Follow The World's Smallest Traveling Engine!
by Tee Bee Yesterday at 4:52 pm

» Low Spark... Traffic
by roddie Yesterday at 3:29 pm

» Cox Engine Fuel Line Size?
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» How's the weather?
by roddie Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» New Quickie 100 micro pylon racer project
by kazaklisglider Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2019
jmcalata's

"Pee Wee .020 throttled combinated"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Wenmac Rotomatic issues Empty
World of Aviation

Wenmac Rotomatic issues

Go down

Wenmac Rotomatic issues Empty Wenmac Rotomatic issues

Post  miked on Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 pm

I have found that while trying to revive a stuck engine, the problem might involve the rotomatic starter. If the crankshaft will rotate in both directions, but locks up after a few degrees,first remove the backplate and check the rod integrity. Since you are smarter that I am you will probably have done this already for cleaning. If all looks OK, then the centrifugal clutch in the drive hub is likely stuck or broken. Remove the hub and examine the back side. You will see the inner edges of the cam which lock on the spring hub. Use WD 40 or something similar and gently move the cam around inside the disc. You will be able to see if it's broken. Once free, hopefully the flyweights will be, too. It is then possible to hold the hub against the spring housing and check that it engages clockwise, and spins freely counter clockwise. Putting things together lightly with a prop and letting the spring spin the crank might throw the weights free of the cam. I have not found a way to disassemble the drive disc for cleaning.
miked
miked

Back to top Go down

Wenmac Rotomatic issues Empty Re: Wenmac Rotomatic issues

Post  ticomareado on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Yes, it is virtually impossible to disassemble a Rotomatic clutch plate w/o destruction. The main thing is removing the clutch disc assembly w/o crimping to outer black steel shell against the innards. That is easiest to do if top end is completely off the engine by putting a junker nut on crankshaft with a prop hub for filler and gently tapping the crankshaft out the back of crankcase. However removing top end is not always necessary or desirable. (especially with Mark IIs through Mark Vs). In those instances, the stiff flat blade end of a window glazier's putty knife is the way to go if you don't have a suitable miniature gear puller, although the process of gradually prying around the circumference of the clutch is a bit tedious.

Once clutch is off and it is determined that the innards haven't been crimped, the problem usually lies in the accumulated gunk and rust inside the sealed assembly. First, the crankshaft engagement collar from a broken spring should be permanently affixed to a section of wooden dowel. We'll call this our "spinner" tool. Then we start with some hot soakings in a Dawn detergent solution to loosen things up. Rinse and repeat however many times necessary, always using the spinner tool on the clutch while it is held submerged in the solution. It will soon begin to excrete its bilge. Once the detergent solution yields diminishing returns, time for a final rinse with water and then into the acetone bath for the final purgings, again with the spinner tool. When finished, dry out in toaster oven and give it a good dollop of air tool oil.

I suppose the spinner tool could be chucked into a drill for all of this, but beware of electrical sparks setting off acetone vapors.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum