Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic - Page 2 Empty Re: Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic

Post  Ken Cook Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:21 am

Roddie, please show us the engines you've run proving the theory in what you just mentioned. I just attended attended vintage combat in New Jersey in which many including myself are running old iron piston Fox engines above and beyond the rpm's they were ever to be run at on synthetic fuels. Fox engines are the closest to Cox metallurgy. In all of my 47 years of flying control line, I have never witnessed a lubrication related failure on my end. I have had my share of parts breaking or parts wearing out. Mainly due to design or crashes. Our entire club has been running Fox .35's on 22% oil 50/50 synthetic for over 20 years. Yet, everyone will tell you in the internet that the engine will overheat and destroy itself in short order.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic - Page 2 Empty Re: Castor Oil with 30% Nitro 23% Synthetic

Post  roddie Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Roddie, please show us the engines you've run proving the theory in what you just mentioned.  

Someone told me that the Foxes lock-up if they get too hot. Let them cool down.. assess/fix the issue.. re-start and fly. For that attribute alone; it would be difficult to site an oil-related failure in those particular-class engines.

I was implying that; under the conditions of an over-lean mixture or sustained running in an overheated state, that an adequate amount of Castor in the fuel mix will help prevent combustion-chamber damage.. when the synthetic oil has turned to smoke.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 pm

A Fox .35 and especially Enya engines which are iron piston will seize up when they're new. The big problem with Fox.35's is the way they were made. The engine is a kit essentially. You get a good one , a mediocre one, or a turd. The fits are poor, the parts are not true or square to one another. The piston liner can be too tight within the case which is very common. So yes, they can lock up when it overheats.
No amount of castor oil is going to resolve those issues nor does it protect it or assist it. It actually creates more issues than good. The castor carbons up and creates even more resistance and heat.

The Enya engines are just fit with closer tolerances not too mention the pistons tend to grow so to speak until the heat cycling declines. They do exactly what you mentioned. They seize, and when they cool they will start up fine. I may have mentioned that and I have seen this many many times.

What I have noticed with synthetics is that everyone on the internet is a chemist. It will be suggested that it will burn off and the engine will be compromised. I have yet to see this happen using Klotz. I can't speak for any other synthetic aside from the Morgan heli-fuel which I have used. In fact the mess as mentioned on the plane is no less than what happens when running full castor. I do know that in cooler weather the synthetic certainly cleans off of the plane easier than the castor as it turns to darn near vaseline on the wing.

In all honesty, I think more engines have been destroyed by using the Cox wrench improperly than those run on the so called piston degrading synthetic fuel. I have no knowledge of the fuel mentioned above. What I was conveying was that I have yet to see a failure in ANY engine using Klotz full synthetic or semi-synthetic castor blend.

I retained Dale Kirn's fuel mix in which the senior 1/2A speed record was made. 65% nitro, 18% oil, 10% synthetic ( Paraplex oil) 8% castor, 17% propylene oxide. The engine used was essentially stock aside from the crankshaft being chromed. If that fuel mixture doesn't destroy a engine, I don't know what does. This engine still exists in someones collection.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Guys
Been running the very high oil content 30% nitro mixture for a few days now. Running very well. Seems to require just about 1/10 turn richer NV setting however the motors are running very sweet. Thought I would pass that on. In the end I ran the 23% synthetic with 6.25% Castor oil so 28% + total oil. It mixed very well and has not separated. Mind you here everyday is in the high 90 degree range so never cool.

No problem at all.

Thanks
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:59 pm

I believe Mr. Cook is correct. It also seems that Wild Bill Netzeband arrived at Ken's conclusions while working at Testors. As I recall, the final formula of Testors brand fuel for Pipe Bombs, Testor-Macs and McCoy black heads was long on synthetic and very low on castor.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2