Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

GSCB field is no more  Cox_ba12

GSCB field is no more  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

GSCB field is no more  Empty
Live on Patrol

GSCB field is no more

Go down

Sad GSCB field is no more

Post  YakNine Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 am

The Legendary GSCB Field in Lincoln Park N.J. is no more, I am bummed out beyond words right now the state bought it and apparently began Dismantling it and planting trees, some of my best memories of the last few years came from there, The guys are looking for another site. T J
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: GSCB field is no more

Post  getback Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 am

Hoping your next site will bee better and leave good memories for you and the group Very Happy RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:34 am

I know there is an long thread on Stunt Hanger about it.....you are probably there under diff name.....lots of history from there
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:27 am

That's sad. I know when my own Jackson Flyers club at Fort Jackson, SC closed up, I felt terrible about it. And it was not even historic and oft storied as the Garden State Circle Burners site. That it had closed on my watch made it hurt even worse. The reason was that, in the security crackdown of about 2015 or '16, most members fled to the Congaree site because it was such a pain to get into the Fort, background checks, ID cards, etc... you couldn't even get your grandmother in to watch you fly. No more picnics, 4th of July fly-ins, or any gatherings.

Wayne Robinson, Bob Zambelli, and I did our best to make it look occupied. I joked that we needed to rename the club "The Three Amigos," but it was futile. In fact Bob was possibly a former member of GSCB. I know he'd been a Philly Flyer. I'm sorry to hear of the demise of the GSCB field, and I wish you folks much luck finding a new home.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Too many tree huggers. Our Prime Minister is promising a tree planting plan. It saves them labour for cutting grass, so they like that option. A local club here has one grumpy neighbor that might be closing a 40 year field. He was OK for 20 years but now retired, and has nothing better to do I guess. Urban sprawl make it hard to get a field near civilization now.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:37 pm

I've been flying there for the past 25 years. It's very disheartening and it was a shock to see it posted on Stunthangar. Having just flown there 3 weeks ago, there was no mention in regards to it. The GSCB recently lost a key man in the club due to a heart attack. If there was any mention of this possibility he would've known. I can only speculate but nonetheless, it's gone. I fly there 3 times a year and with the GSCB swap meet coming up the Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, it really hits home. The swap meet generally is wrapped up by 12:00 in the afternoon and we head over to the field. Larry Scarinzini and a bunch of us Philly Fliers fly all kinds of stuff. As some of the members are aging, they don't travel as far as they used too. It's nice to bring out planes we completed to show them and fly them.  My son and I were playing in the back of the field at Vintage Combat and had our fast combat planes out with Fox MKIII's. We were getting our needles dialed in and then we had two pretty good matches together.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=KA9cIC44UqE
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Was this field leased from the previous owner or a handshake agreement? If it was leased the new owner has to honor the lease agreement and provide notification of termination of the lease. Every state is different for lease laws.

This is happening everywhere. Getting to a point where you need to buy a section of open land (640 acres) in class G airspace and put the flying field in the middle of it.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:09 pm

I have no idea of what the agreement was or for how long. I do know that maintaining the field obviously was part of it and by no means was this inexpensive. The grass cutting cost a few thousand dollars a year to maintain it. I was reading that the original land owner passed away and the state purchased the property through the estate sale. The nice thing about this field was the fact that due to being in a flood plain, there were no nearby developments allowing for open exhaust and no noise issues. This is going to be difficult to replace.

In and around 2014, we suffered another loss which was Pal Park, NJ. Three circles on the parking lot of the Pal Park swim club. Living in highly populated areas and the way development and construction takes place is making it increasingly difficult. The other club which is the Middlesex Modelers are also facing issues. We used to have contests on a football field requiring extensive paperwork and permits making it difficult to retain consistency. These issues have ended up in court. The loss of these two flying areas placed the flyers at the GSCB field when the flood waters resided. This is where the AMA will hopefully lend some assistance.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:34 am

I pretty much only went to New Year's Day and The Swap Meet, I live an hour away and work most weekends on a farm so my participation is some what limited, But it was such a nice place, it's going to be hard to find such an isolated spot in such a dense area , I can fly in my yard at home but the guys at the field are what really made it special for me. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:20 am

How many circles can your property support? I think 3 is required to have sanctioned events
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:15 am

This is a shame to hear.

Over the past decade or so we've lost a few of the closest fields to the metro. One, Tri-Valley, just south of the Twin Cities was bought by the University and Minnesota for a wind farm (or that was the story), but that must not have completely worked out as just the other day on the news they reported that a developer backed out from constructing a few hundred cookie-cutter homes on it...

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Loss of this field is like loosing another piece of aeromodeling history. Our hobby is held in such little esteem, any group can run over us with no concern. AMA has been spending thousands of dollars thinking they have been successfully working with FAA. Well so far we got required licensing (thinking our AMA numbers would suffice). And now the 400 foot altitude limit has been instituted with no more discussion. Strike three will be mandatory transponders. We have been thrown into a barrel with drones. Commercial drone manufacturers and their industry have the money and the publicity have governments ear.

Sad times for us old timers. See some of you at the swap meet!
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:48 pm

I think I could probably put in 2 circles, but there's an R/C club 3 miles from the house that allows control line and by this time next year my field is gonna have animals on it.TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:33 pm

YakNine wrote:I think I could probably put in 2 circles, but there's an R/C club 3 miles from the house that allows control line and by this time next year my field is gonna have animals on it.TJ

Extra points to dodge the cow pies. Smile

I have a concrete circle thats 62’ in diameter. It’s the old foundation from our Harvester SlurryStore system we no longer have or use. 500,000 gallons of pure goodness was stored in there.

GSCB field is no more  096dcb10
GSCB field is no more  424e6410

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 pm

I grew up on a dairy farm, we owned adjoining property and it was a wonderful place and way to grow up. The county bought the old man out and when he passed they bulldozed everything and now most of it lays fallow except for a few hay fields that are rented out. My field on my new place was let go for about 20 years and was pretty much overgrown, I have it pretty much cleared and am going to put up deer fence grow a big garden on it, and we are going to let an animal rescue that a friend of my wife is involved with use the 2 stall barn and one of the paddocks to keep large animals until they find homes for them. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down