Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


eBay and taxes Babe_b10
Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sig Deweybird 1/2A
by Marleysky Today at 12:21 am

» Remote control planes
by Marleysky Today at 12:10 am

» external fuel tanks
by Surfer_kris Today at 12:06 am

» How's the weather?
by Oldenginerod Yesterday at 11:10 pm

» Nylon tubing
by jbanes1961 Yesterday at 11:05 pm

» Screws For Engines
by ffkiwi Yesterday at 11:04 pm

» Lookie Here
by --Oz-- Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» Carl Goldberg Skylane 42
by NEW222 Yesterday at 10:29 pm

» Late Find Possible Meteor Shower Thursday November 21
by NEW222 Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Hidden Gem Finds
by DrCox Yesterday at 9:13 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2019
jmcalata's

"Pee Wee .020 throttled combinated"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


eBay and taxes Empty
World of Aviation

eBay and taxes

Go down

eBay and taxes Empty eBay and taxes

Post  Cox International on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:08 pm

As many of you may be aware, eBay now automatically collects and remits taxes for deliveries to most US states (more states being added every month), as well as Australia. As sellers, we have no say in this and we do not benefit from the tax collected.

Of course, you are free to purchase your Cox merchandise where you want but we DO NOT charge any taxes for purchases made on our website Smile
Cox International
Cox International
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 2824
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 61
Location : Williams Lake, BC, Canada

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  balogh on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:16 am

That is fully understood and appreciated here Bernie..on top of 27% VAT and some import duties I pay I also need to wait weeks before the goods worth in excess of 22 € (if bought from a company ) or 45€  ( if from a private person) clear customs here..COX hobby is not that cheap and simple everywhere around the world as for you guys in North America.. Very Happy

Just found a NIB Lil Roughneck balsa airplane kit on ebay that was bought at 79.99 USD but ended up way above USD150 shipped and customs cleared on my end..ebay added all customs markups automatically.
balogh
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2490
Join date : 2011-11-06
Age : 61
Location : Budapest Hungary

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  Oldenginerod on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:30 am

We now pay a 10% Goods & Services tax on everything we purchase from overseas, including postage, whether new or second hand.
Out here GST is automatically included in the purchase price of most new items we buy, whether from a store or on-line.  Second hand goods, up to a certain value, don't attract GST when purchased out here, but to buy from overseas, the same used item attracts tax.  This doesn't seem quite fair to me, but I guess the govenment could see that they were missing out on their slice of the pie with the increase of on-line imports.

Bernie, whether I buy from Canada or I buy from America, I still pay the same tax.  Just keep your postage costs low and you will keep me interested Laughing  

My big spend on such items was a few years ago when our dollar was higher than the USD.  Currently, I pay $1.45 for every $1 USD. Back then US postal charges were way less.  That means that I now generally need to pay $34 AUD for the most basic First Class postage from the US.  $2.50 engine, $34 postage.  I gotta get a real bargain nowadays to make the purchase worthwhile. Sad
Currently watching a McCoy at 99c US.  ($1.43).  Add another $34 and it ain't a cheap engine. Mad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2755
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 57
Location : Victoria, Australia

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  Cox International on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:01 pm

balogh wrote:That is fully understood and appreciated here Bernie..on top of 27% VAT and some import duties I pay I also need to wait weeks before the goods worth in excess of 22 € (if bought from a company ) or 45€  ( if from a private person) clear customs here..COX hobby is not that cheap and simple everywhere around the world as for you guys in North America.. Very Happy

Just found a NIB Lil Roughneck balsa airplane kit on ebay that was bought at 79.99 USD but ended up way above USD150 shipped and customs cleared on my end..ebay added all customs markups automatically.

As we only declare CA$15 (10 Euros) per package and the postage cost is hidden, customs seldom gets involved Cool
Cox International
Cox International
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 2824
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 61
Location : Williams Lake, BC, Canada

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  Cox International on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:We now pay a 10% Goods & Services tax on everything we purchase from overseas, including postage, whether new or second hand.
Out here GST is automatically included in the purchase price of most new items we buy, whether from a store or on-line.  Second hand goods, up to a certain value, don't attract GST when purchased out here, but to buy from overseas, the same used item attracts tax.  This doesn't seem quite fair to me, but I guess the govenment could see that they were missing out on their slice of the pie with the increase of on-line imports.

Bernie, whether I buy from Canada or I buy from America, I still pay the same tax.  Just keep your postage costs low and you will keep me interested Laughing  

My big spend on such items was a few years ago when our dollar was higher than the USD.  Currently, I pay $1.45 for every $1 USD. Back then US postal charges were way less.  That means that I now generally need to pay $34 AUD for the most basic First Class postage from the US.  $2.50 engine, $34 postage.  I gotta get a real bargain nowadays to make the purchase worthwhile. Sad
Currently watching a McCoy at 99c US.  ($1.43).  Add another $34 and it ain't a cheap engine. Mad

To our knowledge, AU has a "de minimis" of AU$ 100 for personal imports (after which VAT is charged). As we only declare CA$ 15 (AU$ 12) per package, AU customs rarely gets involved. And, to reiterate, we do not charge or collect any taxes (except for Canadian customers) if you purchase directly on our website.

We likely have the lowest shipping costs in the industry with a cap of US$ 2.95 for under 5mm (basically gaskets) and $9.95 for over 5mm. The $9.95 cap is regardless of order size; meaning could purchase 100 engines and parts and not pay more in shipping (4-5 exceptions for our largest / heaviest items).

We do not make a profit on shipping and only charge what Canada Post charges us but only up to $9.95. On heavier packages, we subsidize shipping.
Cox International
Cox International
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 2824
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 61
Location : Williams Lake, BC, Canada

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  Cox International on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Here is a link to world-wide de minimis thresholds and it looks like AU was raised to $1,000  http://go.borderlinx.com/tax-and-duty-de-minimis/

Most countries will have a separate de minimis for duty and tax. They can be identical but don't have to be.

For many years, we have always attempted to draw new eBay customers to our webstore and have been largely successful but others have stayed with the eBay platform. As of this year, we have been including notes with our shipments (to buyers that were charged tax) to make them aware of this and that we don't charge taxes. Well, even solid eBay hangouts have been switching over, as buying on eBay now affects their wallets  lol!
Cox International
Cox International
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Official Cox Dealer
Posts : 2824
Join date : 2011-08-08
Age : 61
Location : Williams Lake, BC, Canada

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  getback on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Cox International wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:We now pay a 10% Goods & Services tax on everything we purchase from overseas, including postage, whether new or second hand.
Out here GST is automatically included in the purchase price of most new items we buy, whether from a store or on-line.  Second hand goods, up to a certain value, don't attract GST when purchased out here, but to buy from overseas, the same used item attracts tax.  This doesn't seem quite fair to me, but I guess the govenment could see that they were missing out on their slice of the pie with the increase of on-line imports.

Bernie, whether I buy from Canada or I buy from America, I still pay the same tax.  Just keep your postage costs low and you will keep me interested Laughing  

My big spend on such items was a few years ago when our dollar was higher than the USD.  Currently, I pay $1.45 for every $1 USD. Back then US postal charges were way less.  That means that I now generally need to pay $34 AUD for the most basic First Class postage from the US.  $2.50 engine, $34 postage.  I gotta get a real bargain nowadays to make the purchase worthwhile. Sad
Currently watching a McCoy at 99c US.  ($1.43).  Add another $34 and it ain't a cheap engine. Mad

To our knowledge, AU has a "de minimis" of AU$ 100 for personal imports (after which VAT is charged). As we only declare CA$ 15 (AU$ 12) per package, AU customs rarely gets involved. And, to reiterate, we do not charge or collect any taxes (except for Canadian customers) if you purchase directly on our website.

We likely have the lowest shipping costs in the industry with a cap of US$ 2.95 for under 5mm (basically gaskets) and $9.95 for over 5mm. The $9.95 cap is regardless of order size; meaning could purchase 100 engines and parts and not pay more in shipping (4-5 exceptions for our largest / heaviest items).

We do not make a profit on shipping and only charge what Canada Post charges us but only up to $9.95. On heavier packages, we subsidize shipping.
And we Thank You !! Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Posts : 6362
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 62
Location : julian

Back to top Go down

eBay and taxes Empty Re: eBay and taxes

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum